Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,886,753 times

Advertisements

/\ .keep paying your taxes and don't forget to give the twins teachers a nice gift for the end of the year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,865,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ .keep paying your taxes and don't forget to give the twins teachers a nice gift for the end of the year!!
You disappoint me - you forgot to tie it in with another asian dig.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You disappoint me - you forgot to tie it in with another asian dig.
You can take it any way you want. They are not an example of what America should strive for though. You don't respect unions or humans for that matter. Meanwhile a non union construction company in Manhattan killed 16 workers last year. Thats what you want to see more of? You disappoint mankind.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 AM

^ it's not just me either - you've thrown around racist digs at other members like dumbo and sirtiger too. What kind of person does this repeatedly then goes and hides? "You can take it how you want". "I'm laughing all the way to the bank." "I am so good at my job anyone would be lucky to have me work for them." "I actually don't depend on unions." "now being blessed with a public sector union job for the last 9 years". You're definitely an exemplary American... union worker. Your team is better off without your oh-so-wise words here.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-24-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
^ it's not just me either - you've thrown around racist digs at other members like dumbo and sirtiger too. What kind of person does this repeatedly then goes and hides? "You can take it how you want". "I'm laughing all the way to the bank." "I am so good at my job anyone would be lucky to have me work for them." "I actually don't depend on unions." "now being blessed with a public sector union job for the last 9 years". You're definitely an exemplary American... union worker. Your team is better off without your oh-so-wise words here.
Racist comments don't fly here. You are just bitter that your kids teachers make MUCH more than your highly technical job. It's ok you didn't have to double the size of your house. I did too and I knew the ramifications and I own them. Quit being so whiny.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Unions exist to protect people like you, right?
Actually they exist to protect all people. As stated previously they continue to protect and expand workers rights. No one cares that your company provides some things that most companies don't. Your company apparently gives extra benefits but, skimps out big time on salary.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 AM

Are you trying to show off that you recall every detail I've openly and willfully posted? You know who does that? People who hold a grudge. You're such a child - go stomp your feet outside on the streets with your fellow workers. Have at it.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to show off that you recall every detail I've openly and willfully posted? You know who does that? People who hold a grudge. You're such a child - go stomp your feet outside on the streets with your fellow workers. Have at it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Law

Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,579,948 times
Quote:
^ lol I still didn't read his wall of text to this point. Too bad for you I guess (and him since he oh so obviously spent so much time on it himself).

I clearly stated before those jobs are respectable: It's not at all about degrees vs blue collar jobs that don't require it. If you have the skills and drive, you have the job prospects and shouldn't need to strong-arm anyone into keeping you. If anything, it makes you look weak. Still don't get it? This isn't "just seeing one side" is it? You guys are looking for guarantees when there are none to spare in today's job market. Who gets a guarantee? Who deserves one?

Some worker put that gem out there. It's remarkable the attitude these people have. When you're spoon-fed and hidden under an umbrella for so long I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Here's another gem - I think these need to be handed out at the next rally, don't you?

Oh and your race-based ramblings continue:
You totally misunderstand of how a Union contract works. There is a tremendous distinction between "guaranteed jobs" and the grievance systems set forth in Union contracts that limits termination to "cause" as opposed to "not for cause," which roughly translates to "for any reason or for no reason at all." Asking that your employer not lay you off unless you do something wrong is nowhere near as outrageous as you paint it. If you are going to weigh in on the types of benefits negotiated by a Union, at least familiarize yourself with those benefits before doing so.

And again, your entire worldview on who "deserves" what is premised off of the misconceived notion that your employer has struck the ideal balance off of which all other employment agreements should be modeled. Now, I don't know enough about your personal employment situation to opine as to whether you receive a good, bad, or neutral compensation package. What I do know is that limiting your analysis in the way you do does not permit you to consider the perspective of the Union worker, the employer, or anyone else except to compare yourself to others on an apples to apples basis without any fundamental knowledge about the situations to which you compare yourself. To call that "just seeing one side" is generous, because you're not really seeing from the perspective of either side. Again, just because you failed to negotiate different terms with your employer does not mean that (a) you were not entitled to do so; or (b) others are not entitled to negotiate different terms with their employers.

Most strikingly, however, appears to be your utter lack of comprehension regarding how negotiating works. As has been pointed out, Unions don't simply demand and receive. It is a discussion where, ultimately, the employer decides whether the cost of refusing the demands outweighs the cost of agreeing to them. And as with every such business decision, careful consideration of each such decision must be made before deciding one way or another. Of course, the second most amusing thing in your recent posts (after the t-shirt pictures, discussed below), is the irony of complaining that Union workers hold businesses "hostage" because they can stop working and force employers to hire and retrain new employees while also complaining that Union workers hold employers "hostage" because they have some level of job security (which, in turn, obviates the need for employers to hire and retrain new, replacement employees).

I do, however, most enjoy seeing that you've posted a couple of photos of t-shirts with a bunch of meaningless platitudes on them. Were they supposed to bolster your argument in some way? Was this a childlike attempt to fire a zinger on your audience, drop the microphone, and walk offstage in glory (presumably either to the sound of stunned silence or wild cheers of "T-shirt! T-shirt!")? Or are you just flaunting your small-mindedness?

And to respond to your previous question, I have no affiliation with any Union at all. Nor do members of my family. I have no stake in the Union game. I just believe that a balance achieved by a negotiation between big business and private section Unions is beneficial for society as a whole.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM

217 posts, read 246,741 times
Not as many picketers in front of Smithhaven mall this morning when it was raining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island