Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 22,003 times

Advertisements

I think it's obvious that for people who make less that 100K a year, living on long island is a challenge. We are aware of the costs, but still trying to see if it will work for us. If someone made over 300K a year is that good? Is everything else nice on LI except the cost? It must be so expensive because people want to live there, because public schools are good, because it has something good to offer? Otherwise it would be cheap....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss96 View Post
I think it's obvious that for people who make less that 100K a year, living on long island is a challenge. We are aware of the costs, but still trying to see if it will work for us. If someone made over 300K a year is that good? Is everything else nice on LI except the cost? It must be so expensive because people want to live there, because public schools are good, because it has something good to offer? Otherwise it would be cheap....
It's not that LI is expensive; It's that you get very little for your money, compared to most other places. Read my previous posts and other threads on this forum. There is a lot wrong with LI. It has lost a very large percentage of it's original residents, because people of all income levels get disgusted with the day-to-day quality of life.

Schools on LI are no better than anywhere else; in fact, they are worse. The "quality" of education is about the same as it is anywhere else (In a recent national magazine's ranking of the best school districts in the country, only 3 of LI's 250 made it onto the list). The schools there are more like prisons. Go to the school on parent teacher night, and they will run a background check on you before they even let you enter; drug-sniffing dogs routinely scrutinize every locker. Class sizes are large, and chances are that the teachers do not share your values, and in general, are not a part of the community as they may be where you live.

Coming from a saner place, you will notice the flaws of LI sooner, and they will likely have a greater impact on you. It's hard to describe, unless you've lived on LI and somewhere else, so that you have something to compare it to. Most LIers have lived there all of their lives, and think that anywhere outside of NY is tantamount to the third world.

Bear i n mind too, that most LIers are liberals. If you happen to be conservative (or worse yet, a Libertarian, like me) you will pull your hair out every time you hear one of your neighbors speak....

Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I live in Stony Brook and will be happy to answer questions. Please disregard most of this thread. A fair portion of the replies are from people who have never lived in Stony Brook.
The above statement is so true with the multiple new posts of people looking to move to LI.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
It has lost a very large percentage of it's original residents, because people of all income levels get disgusted with the day-to-day quality of life.

Most LIers have lived there all of their lives, and think that anywhere outside of NY is tantamount to the third world.
LOL. So has the original residents moved out like you, or have stayed and lived here all our lives?

Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
I have to agree with you there- LI is definitely a breath of fresh air (literally) compared to NYC. If all you've ever known is NYC, yes, LI will seem like a paradise by comparison- but that's like saying that swimming in a swamp is so much better than swimming in a cesspool.
Quote:
It's not that LI is expensive; It's that you get very little for your money, compared to most other places. Read my previous posts and other threads on this forum. There is a lot wrong with LI. It has lost a very large percentage of it's original residents, because people of all income levels get disgusted with the day-to-day quality of life.

Schools on LI are no better than anywhere else; in fact, they are worse. The "quality" of education is about the same as it is anywhere else (In a recent national magazine's ranking of the best school districts in the country, only 3 of LI's 250 made it onto the list). The schools there are more like prisons. Go to the school on parent teacher night, and they will run a background check on you before they even let you enter; drug-sniffing dogs routinely scrutinize every locker. Class sizes are large, and chances are that the teachers do not share your values, and in general, are not a part of the community as they may be where you live.

Coming from a saner place, you will notice the flaws of LI sooner, and they will likely have a greater impact on you. It's hard to describe, unless you've lived on LI and somewhere else, so that you have something to compare it to. Most LIers have lived there all of their lives, and think that anywhere outside of NY is tantamount to the third world.

Bear i n mind too, that most LIers are liberals. If you happen to be conservative (or worse yet, a Libertarian, like me) you will pull your hair out every time you hear one of your neighbors speak....
If you're stuck in NY/NYC whether it's for family or for your career, you really don't have many better options. Everything here is expensive relatively speaking.... NJ, Westchester, NYC etc.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss96 View Post
Your way of thinking has been too skewed by these boards. I make well under 100K and have no challenge living in the town right next to SB, Smithtown.

I don't know your lifestyle and if you'll be happy on 300K here. But if you can't live happy with 300K, I don't think the problem would be LI.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 22,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Your way of thinking has been too skewed by these boards. I make well under 100K and have no challenge living in the town right next to SB, Smithtown.

I don't know your lifestyle and if you'll be happy on 300K here. But if you can't live happy with 300K, I don't think the problem would be LI.

This is the point I'm trying to make, that if you can't live happy with 300K that's a problem. (not because I'm personally not happy with that but if people on these message boards say that 300K doesn't get you much then that concerns me....)

Old 04-29-2016, 08:25 AM

19 posts, read 30,226 times
Everything is relative, what may be okay for one person may not be good enough for another. Plenty of people live on far less than 300k here, even in the top districts. It is up to the individual to calculate the hit they would take moving to LI from wherever they're living now. But don't expect to live exactly as you do now without a comfy raise. Cost of living calculators are available to do some comparisons.

I'd take what mumble joe says with a grain of salt, don't know where he was from on LI and don't know where he lives now. Go to usnews.com and find your current district, then look for a comparable district on long island in the Stony Brook area. Smithtown is #76 for NY, how does that compare to your current district? I doubt there are metal detectors etc at smithtown. Port Jeff looks good too

Over 250k and you could prob be a 'Jones' in 75% of the island

You mention you planned for kids to go to private school, I don't know the cost of that in NC but you could just move that money to your taxes and easily call it a wash so that helps.

Last edited by th003g; 04-29-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 08:29 AM

39 posts, read 53,380 times
Your income will be fine for this area of LI. If you feel the 3V district will be too large, definitely consider Port Jefferson (not Port Jefferson Station) or Mount Sinai too. Very comparable in quality to the 3V district and much smaller.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
If you're stuck in NY/NYC whether it's for family or for your career, you really don't have many better options. Everything here is expensive relatively speaking.... NJ, Westchester, NYC etc.
True. To someone from NYC, LI may be no more expensive, and definitely offers a better quality of life compared to NYC. To someone from NC. it may be total culture shock, and a great reduction of quality of life- depending on what part of NC they are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th003g View Post

I'd take what mumble joe says with a grain of salt, don't know where he was from on LI
I lived most of my 39 years on the island 5 minutes from Stony Brook. Stony Brook is one of the nicer areas- but to someone from out of state, Lloyd Harbor would probably even be culture shock; and anywhere in the NY metro area will likely be quite a dramatic reduction in quality of life, regardless of income. Life-long NYers are skewed [more like skewered! ]; they are used to it, because it is all they have known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island