Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:22 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenhearts View Post
If there are many many people that are psychic ans they are from long island and in suffolk county, ny why do think this happens? People may say it is not true but it is famouse and many many people know. It is more than in other places. Please tell me what is spontanious combustion and what happened and where it happened and what else you know about it.
Kittenhearts, you sound very much like a poster who used to frequent this forum named Angezluv. Do you happen to know her? You could be her twin.

Why are there so many psychics on Long Island? I have no idea. But I do not think that Long Island is evil. I do not think psychics are evil. I think Long Islanders are generally open minded people, and unlike some areas of the country, notably the South, they were not brought up in religious faith traditions that forbid astrology, visiting psychics etc. People like Southern Baptists, for example, think they will go to hell if they visit a psychic fair or enter the New Age store in Port Jefferson. We are not so uptight. One of the reasons I didn't move to the South is that people are too uptight about things like this - and other things like homosexuality and a number of other issues. So I moved west not south.

Additionally, California has a huge amount of psychics. There is a community in upstate NY called Lilly Dale, that is FILLED with nothing but Psychics. Cassadega Florida is also a psychic community. I am sure you have heard of Salem Massachusetts? LOADED with psychics.

Again, people from Long Island do not come from religious backgrounds that forbid these kinds of things. The largest religious groups on Long Island are Roman Catholic, Jewish, Epicopalian, Lutheran, Methodist and Presbyterian. There are some outliers, but in general, that is our background. So things like that do not terrify or obsess us. Either we like it, or we ignore it. PERIOD.

I think you might be a Fundamentalist Born Again Christian or a Jehovah's Witness, because you are really hung up on these things, and your questions are taking the thread off topic. If you want to discuss the Paranormal, visit the City Data forum that is devoted to Unexplained Mysteries and the Paranormal. Do not keep "haunting" the Long Island forum!

No pun intended.

What is spontaneous human combustian? Do you have GOOGLE? GOOGLE it. This is not the time nor the place to chat about that topic. Again, as I mentioned to that other poster Angelz Luv - go to unexplained mysteries. People there have an interest in the topic. Although they are NOT OBSESSED WITH IT.

You appear to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Back on topic with some more fun facts about The Island that we all know and love -

1. Fire Island obtained it's name because people would light huge bon fires on the coast to help guide sailors to shore.

2. The Long Island Duck - which was originally in Flanders, was moved to another location, but returned to it's original location. This structure was built to advertise the Long Island duck farmers and to boost their sales. It was the first roadside structure to be erected in with the edifice of something else. Now, through out the country, roadside attractions were made in the middle of the 20th century to advertise anything from Hamburgers, to Native American themed motels. Now collectively all of these structures are known by aficionados as "Ducks". There are several books with pictures of some pretty far out structures - gigantic tires, tee-pees, pyramids, and food items, and collectively, they are known as "Ducks". While the craze of roadside advertisement reached it's peak in the 40s and 50s, interest in the topic, and the preservation of these structures continues through out the US,

But never forget, it all started here on Long Island, with our own Long Island Duck!

3. F.Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" was set on Long Island's Gold Coast. There is much speculation about what towns East Egg and West Egg represent. Some say Great Neck and Port Washington. Others have different ideas.
What is your theory?

4. In the 1960s it was rumored that there was an active Soviet Spy ring in Glen Cove. This was at the height of the Cold War.

5. When the Beatles first visited NYC, they requested their manager to take them to a "Burger joint" (now we would say a Fast Food restaurant) For some reason, their manager drove there limousine to the former Wetsons burger chain on Forrest Ave. in Glen Cove.

6. In the 1970s John Lennon and Yoko Ono had a mansion in Oyster Bay Cove.

Let's keep this thread going! This is fun!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
What I find interesting is that parts of Suffolk County are further north than significant (if not most of) parts of Westchester and Rockland Counties. The northern orientation of the island as it juts out east is not well known.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
What I find interesting is that parts of Suffolk County are further north than significant (if not most of) parts of Westchester and Rockland Counties. The northern orientation of the island as it juts out east is not well known.
This is very true. We tend to say we are going east and west but we are actually going northeast and southwest because Long Island is tilted diagonally.

Looking at a map, it looks like the most southerly part of Long Island (Coney Island and Breezy Point of the Rockaways) is roughly at least 50 miles or so further south then the most northerly part of Long Island (Orient Point). And you can add another 10 or 15 miles if you count Fishers Island as part of Long Island territory.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenhearts View Post
If there are many many people that are psychic ans they are from long island and in suffolk county, ny why do think this happens? People may say it is not true but it is famouse and many many people know. It is more than in other places. Please tell me what is spontanious combustion and what happened and where it happened and what else you know about it.
spontaneous combustion is combustion that is spontaneous

Old 05-05-2016, 05:22 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
spontaneous combustion is combustion that is spontaneous
That's why it is the most dangerous of combustions because it is spontaneous.
It just happens spontaneously. Like tax increases but worse.
You could be walking the dog and combust. You could be mowing the lawn and combust.
You could shaving your armpits and combust. Vacuuming, plucking chickens, at the McDonalds drive-thru, anywhere doing anything and you can spontaneously combust. It's very very scary.
I think the rate is higher in Suffolk County Ny.
I wonder what would happen if you spontaneously combusted in the pool? Taking a shower?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM

37 posts, read 45,806 times
Long Island was under populated east of Huntington in the 50's. There were miles of nothing between towns like Patchogue, Medford, Coram. To go east of Patchogue required driving along Montauk Highway-now Main st. in most towns.
A trip to Riverhead was an adventure, specialy if your dad took the ( BACK ROADS )

Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That's why it is the most dangerous of combustions because it is spontaneous.
It just happens spontaneously. Like tax increases but worse.
You could be walking the dog and combust. You could be mowing the lawn and combust.
You could shaving your armpits and combust. Vacuuming, plucking chickens, at the McDonalds drive-thru, anywhere doing anything and you can spontaneously combust. It's very very scary.
I think the rate is higher in Suffolk County Ny.
I wonder what would happen if you spontaneously combusted in the pool? Taking a shower?
In the pool, its like tsunami. In the shower, nothing exciting. I spontaneously combusted in both places. The pool incident was much more exciting.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:32 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Kittenhearts, you sound very much like a poster who used to frequent this forum named Angezluv. Do you happen to know her? You could be her twin.

Why are there so many psychics on Long Island? I have no idea. But I do not think that Long Island is evil. I do not think psychics are evil. I think Long Islanders are generally open minded people, and unlike some areas of the country, notably the South, they were not brought up in religious faith traditions that forbid astrology, visiting psychics etc. People like Southern Baptists, for example, think they will go to hell if they visit a psychic fair or enter the New Age store in Port Jefferson. We are not so uptight. One of the reasons I didn't move to the South is that people are too uptight about things like this - and other things like homosexuality and a number of other issues. So I moved west not south.

Additionally, California has a huge amount of psychics. There is a community in upstate NY called Lilly Dale, that is FILLED with nothing but Psychics. Cassadega Florida is also a psychic community. I am sure you have heard of Salem Massachusetts? LOADED with psychics.

Again, people from Long Island do not come from religious backgrounds that forbid these kinds of things. The largest religious groups on Long Island are Roman Catholic, Jewish, Epicopalian, Lutheran, Methodist and Presbyterian. There are some outliers, but in general, that is our background. So things like that do not terrify or obsess us. Either we like it, or we ignore it. PERIOD.

I think you might be a Fundamentalist Born Again Christian or a Jehovah's Witness, because you are really hung up on these things, and your questions are taking the thread off topic. If you want to discuss the Paranormal, visit the City Data forum that is devoted to Unexplained Mysteries and the Paranormal. Do not keep "haunting" the Long Island forum!

No pun intended.

What is spontaneous human combustian? Do you have GOOGLE? GOOGLE it. This is not the time nor the place to chat about that topic. Again, as I mentioned to that other poster Angelz Luv - go to unexplained mysteries. People there have an interest in the topic. Although they are NOT OBSESSED WITH IT.

You appear to be.

I had an uncle who was a psychic. He knew the exact day he was going to die. The warden told him.

-a Henny Youngman joke

(he was known as "The King of the One-Liners")

Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
-Lake Ronkonkoma is haunted by an Indian Princess that drowns young men from time to time. The Lake also has a sunken railway train car and is connected to the Long Island Sound.
- A UFO crashed into South Haven park in the 1990's.

The first must be true because everyone in Junior High School said so. The second since it is on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island