Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 AM

15 posts, read 46,923 times

Advertisements

Obviously certain Long Island murders are more famous that others, with 1974's "Amityville Horror House" incident, Collin Ferguson killing 6 people on the LIRR in 1993, Daniel Pelosi's high-profile bludgeoning of Ted Ammon in 2001, Zachy Gibian's samauri-sword attack on his father in 2005, or Jeffrey Conroy stabbing an immigrant in 2008, and his trial in 2010 topping the list. But which murders pops into your mind the most when you think of a murder on Long Island (specifically Suffolk)? It could be one that happened very close to you, once where you knew someone involved, ect.

For reference, there are current 50+ inmates at Riverhead charged with murder, of which four are facing first-degree murder charges. Dante Taylor allegedly raped and then stabbed Sara Goode so hard the blade was stuck in her head when she was found dead in 2014, a brutal murder indeed, and faces trial next week. Antonio Christian bashed his girlfriend's mother's skull in with a hammer in 2013, and was found guilty and is due to be scheduled last week (he robbed her of her ATM card while killing her, the necessary element to make the murder first-degree). Stoker Olukotun-Williams allegedly robbed and then killed a prostitute at a Bohemia motel in 2013, and then fired at police that responded. His case is pending due to the status of his mental health. Michael Dirkschneider, about a month ago, was charged with shooting and killing a suspected drug dealer that he was friends with, and robbing him of his money, again robbery being the necessary element to make the murder first degree.

The four cases mentioned above are just examples of random murders from the past few years (although Taylor's is pretty notable for the prosecution's misconduct in the case. His trial next week should be interesting). Many other local charged-with-murder-ers have pending cases, many of which are eventually pled or most likely will plead to first-degree manslaughter, or other less serious charges. In the past few months (or since I started keeping track in August 2015, I should say), 6 people have been sent upstate on murder charges: Cesar Figueroa (20-to-life, plea), Raed Innab (22-to-life, lost at trial), Thomas Liming (25-to-life, lost at trial), Leah Cuevas (25-to-life, lost at trial), Jose Rodriguez (30-to-life, plea, faced much more time for the police officers he shot at than for the actual murder), and Brandon Davis (life without parole, lost at trial) have all been shipped upstate for murder charges. Davis got life without parole for first-degree murder.

Another 10 men originally charged with murder were sent upstate for first-degree manslaughter: Randis Peralta (9.5 years), Angelo Deleon (15 years), Tasheem Carter (17 years), Victor Calderon (17 years), Matthew Rooney (17 years), Boyd Holland (18 years), Christopher Forster (20 years and 43 days, acquitted of murder at trial), Cleon Brown (25 years), John Steele (25 years), and Paul Batterrson (30 years, the extra 5 were for a separate first-degree assault count).

Although of the current 50 or so inmates charged with murder, a small percentage will actually be sentenced for murder, there are will maybe 10 or so Suffolk residents a year sent upstate for murder. Taking into a count a drop in crime the past 20 year or so, probably somewhere close to 250-300 people are doing time for murder from Suffolk, with many more for similar crimes that pled to first-degree manslaughter.

Odds are for at least some people on here, you or someone you know has been involved with knowing someone involved in a murder, for the good or the bad, and which particular killing reminds you the most of murder in Suffolk? The famous cases listed above stick out among others, but as I pointed out, many killings are much less publicized. I would just like to get some background information on other killers who were much less news-worthy, and the unfortunately-affected parties.

On another note - does anyone know if it's possible to get an exact number of people shipped upstate for murder each year? I would imagine I would need to contact the DOC for that, but any advice would be appreciated. I have information for pending Suffolk murder cases active as of August 2015 because I went through Suffolk Criminal Court courtroom information for Riverhead cases for every court date within a year's span and for every judge, and thus gathered a list of all those (at the time) charged with murder. Some news killings have occurred since then, but I have not had the time to search e-courts for hours again reecntly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 AM

92 posts, read 127,836 times
The Tankleff murders. Their son was convicted and went to jail but he was later acquitted and released from prison in 2007 after serving 17 years. A very sad story.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Three, all a long time ago

Kelly Tinyes
Gary Lauers (this happened while I was in HS in the next town over)
John Pius (my older sister knew someone in the family)

And a fourth, which happened 6-7 years ago
The Parente family of Garden City who were murdered by the father and then he killed himself while visiting the oldest daughter at school in Maryland.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
So basically, Suffolk County Ny is the murder capital of the U.S.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
While I spend literally NO time thinking about this, the first one that came to mind was the lowlife Christmas Eve murderer,
Matthew Solomon, who killed his wife and left her for dead.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:00 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
A cousin of mine was murdered in the early 1980s, her remains left in plastic bags on the side of the Southern State Pkwy. I think it was 1982. It remains a cold case.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM

29 posts, read 40,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So basically, Suffolk County Ny is the murder capital of the U.S.
Why do you say this?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Joel Rifkin.

End of thread!

Old 05-08-2016, 04:41 PM

29 posts, read 40,412 times
It is known that murders do happen in suffolk county, ny and that they happen in amityville where there was the horror house it is still there and in north port in aztecca woods where there is satanism that the teenagers knew about. Many of the people know about these and it stays in memory. Some of the people worry it still happens and some do not know.What else do the people think?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Tanklef, Tinyes, Solomon, Manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island