Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:57 PM

82 posts, read 119,696 times

Advertisements

Hi curious on Long Island, it seems common parents let kids take day off from school on their bdays...is that considered an unexcused absence? and do you tell school it's my kids bday so she's not coming in? Also in Nassau county what is average $ you give to a classmate when invited to a Bat Mitzvah party? Do you consider the venue? Like a kiddush lunch versus an all out dinner party late into the night? $36, $54 or more? thanks in advance for input...(although most likely this thread will also veer off topic into sarcasm and who knows what else)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
For a catered bar mitzvah, at least $36. If it's a close friend and a nice venue, possibly $54.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafala View Post
Hi curious on Long Island, it seems common parents let kids take day off from school on their bdays...is that considered an unexcused absence? and do you tell school it's my kids bday so she's not coming in? Also in Nassau county what is average $ you give to a classmate when invited to a Bat Mitzvah party? Do you consider the venue? Like a kiddush lunch versus an all out dinner party late into the night? $36, $54 or more? thanks in advance for input...(although most likely this thread will also veer off topic into sarcasm and who knows what else)
My winter birthday child only gets her bday off if we are away on vacation. Last year for her 16th we took a vacation as opposed to a party with 200 'friends'. Her choice.

As for the party $36 for a friend, $54 for a closer friend.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:45 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
I agree with the others on the gift; we give the kids $36 for an acquaintance's bar/bat mitzvah, and $54 or more for a close friend.

I can't answer about the birthdays; we send our kids to school on theirs.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I have never known anyone who gave their child a day off for their birthday. And yes, that would be an unexcused absence if the parents told the truth about the reason for the absence.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:44 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
$36 or $54? Why not $30 or 50$?( just wondering why you came up with that Dollar amount) Hey I was never allowed to take off from school for my Birthday . However I used to take a day off work for my birthday. Haven't done that in years.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
$36 or $54? Why not $30 or 50$?( just wondering why you came up with that Dollar amount) Hey I was never allowed to take off from school for my Birthday . However I used to take a day off work for my birthday. Haven't done that in years.
The Hebrew word for "life" (chai) has a numerical value of 18. When we give monetary gifts or donations, we give in multiples of 18 for a good and long life for the recipient.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have never known anyone who gave their child a day off for their birthday. And yes, that would be an unexcused absence if the parents told the truth about the reason for the absence.
Ferris Bueller: The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

The key to calling your child in sick is just what Ferris said: a good non-specific symptom. My daughter's first ever day off from school for her birthday was sophomore year; seeing as Disneyitis was a dead giveaway, stomach cramps and light-headedness worked like a charm. We all felt that way coming off Mission Space.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Me either. Are you kidding me?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:22 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
The Hebrew word for "life" (chai) has a numerical value of 18. When we give monetary gifts or donations, we give in multiples of 18 for a good and long life for the recipient.
I never knew of that. I've been to a bunch of Bar Mitzvahs and gave $75-$100. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Does the same rate of monetary gifts apply to Jewish weddings as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island