Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM

67 posts, read 73,935 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this: I've noticed lately when I pay cash in stores, pizza places, etc, that if I give the amount where a few coins of change would be expected, the person does not give me my change back. It's usually less than 25 cents, although today it was 64. Of course the small amount of money is not going to break my budget, but the principle of them keeping my change without asking or me saying they can really irritates me. So far I have not said anything when it happens, for fear of looking like a cheapskate. Has this been happening to anyone else? Would you say something? Am I being cheap by letting it bother me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 14,725 times
Never noticed this. Have had to pay tax when using a card but not with cash though.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this: I've noticed lately when I pay cash in stores, pizza places, etc, that if I give the amount where a few coins of change would be expected, the person does not give me my change back. It's usually less than 25 cents, although today it was 64. Of course the small amount of money is not going to break my budget, but the principle of them keeping my change without asking or me saying they can really irritates me. So far I have not said anything when it happens, for fear of looking like a cheapskate. Has this been happening to anyone else? Would you say something? Am I being cheap by letting it bother me?
This is actually common in other areas of the country. And no, you're not crazy, and not it's not OK. I think there was a thread about this a while back on my home forum.

I was at a dollar store about a year ago and the guy in front of me was waiting for his change. He was a real southern redneck type. And the cashier says to him "I don't have any coins so I'll keep the change OK?" The guy could not understand what the cashier was getting at - it was hilarious - and finally he goes - "yes, I'll take my pennies because 100 of them makes a dollar!" and I said "that's a nice little scam, isn't it - asking every cash payer if they will forego their change...you can make a nice little profit if you do that every day!"

One thing I love about not living on LI - no one cares if they look like a "cheapskate" - they are relying on you feeling stupid for asking for your change.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I have never heard of this. I use a cash back credit card for almost everything, though. But I would definitely ask for my change if I used cash!

Old 05-13-2016, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 82,724 times
I only use my credit cards unless I'm out with others and absolutely have to pony up some cash (rarely happens) but I remember the last time that it did I nicely pointed out I had some change coming my way and when the cashier huffed and puffed and muttered something about being cheap I said, 'If it's not that big a deal then just give it to me out of your pocket!'

People love to tell you what to do with your money but get indignant when you do the same back at them about theirs! If I feel like giving you my change, I will, but it's not up for you to decide and it's dishonest to try and skim a little off of everyone without even asking.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Keep the hardware.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Yeah.. not sure why you wouldn't just say, "My change please?" or something and wait till it was handed over.

Getting your own money is not being cheap. Good grief.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Several years ago that was a scam and if memory serves me it was a nationwide thing. The cashier counts the draw at the end of the night and takes the "profit" as his. They were caught and prosecuted, I just can't recall where it was that it originated.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
this happened to me just last Sunday , first time ever in my sixty something years . Paid cash and was due 64 cents. I didn't say anything, let it go, and took a dollar off her cash tip. (server was the cashier also).

Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Wow! What nerve! Even if it were only a penny, just being so presumptive as to "keep the change"- that is just low!

It's an insult, and i would not tolerate it. I would loudly say "YOU'RE FORGETTING MY CHANGE!".

Luckily, my experience here in Bumpkinsville is the opposite. Just the other day, I told a clerk "You can keep the two cents", and he gives it to me anyway. (I'd rather not have pennies multiplying in my pocket). Of course, this ain't NY! I tried to tip the guy that did a few smnall jobs for me in a machine shop the other day, and he wouldn't take the $5 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: