Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Homosexuals as a group have far higher rates of drug use, mental illness, domestic violence, history of being abused as children, promiscuity, sexually transmitted diseases, and several other factors that make them, on average, more problematic as wards of young men or children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Pedophiles don't lust after post-pubescent, high school age boys. This is the act of a gay man not a pedophile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
What year is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That's an unfair statement. Not ALL gay men are pedophiles.
Most of them are though.
You're woefully ill-informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That's an unfair statement. Not ALL gay men are pedophiles.
Most of them are though.
I was being sarcastic!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I was being sarcastic!
Me too.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

57 posts, read 58,878 times
Spotlight!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

Not shocked one bit.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Oh, I know, you're right. I just didn't think this would happen at Chaminade. My son went to Chaminade from 2004 to 2008 so I'm very familiar with it. Father Williams was the one that did away with proms because they led to "bad behavior." I went to many functions at the school and heard Father Williams speak many times. I thought he was a good man. He had me completely fooled.
Why not at Chaminade? A similar thing happened at another Catholic HS in the 70s and was exposed in the 90s.
A Long Island Catholic HS. Can't remember the name.

Anyone?

Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 AM

14 posts, read 14,725 times
Additional allegation:

Former Chaminade student claims abuse by official, DA says | Newsday

Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Why couldn't there have been hot naughty nuns when I was in Catholic school.
What a ripoff. Not fair.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
This post will create controversy, but I for one am sick to death of hearing about the abuse of kids by Catholic priests. Did it happen, absolutely, it can't be denied. Was it handled properly, absolutely not. Is it still going on? Possibly, but it will never be like it was, steps have been taken to that end. What gets me is that to suggest that it is not going on in other congregations
is equivalent to the blind eye that was taken years ago by the Catholic church. Why is it that every time, something like this happens with a priest it is on the front pages and other religions it is simply a small blurb and done. I know many wonderful Catholic priests, who are no more associated with pedophilia than I am. I also know several ministers and a couple of rabbis that are good God fearing people who only have the best interests of their congregations at heart. To continually have this thrown in the face of many who have nothing to do with it is beyond absurd.

Put another way, this does not and should not define the Catholic church. Perhaps you might feel differently, if you were judged for the rest of you life by a terrible mistake you made early in your career. Now do not twist my words by suggesting I am saying this is just a "terrible mistake", I am simply using this example of how wrong it is to continue to indict an organization that despite its' faults, does a lot of good for many, many people. Did you know that Catholic Charities offers mental health services, dental, maternity, immigration, housing assistance, food assistance regardless of race, color or creed? Once again, there is no monopoly on good deeds by the Catholic ....simply used for illustrative purposes.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 05-18-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 AM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Put another way, this does not and should not define the Catholic church.
The difference between your local baptist church or whatever cookie cutter denomination protestant church or most any other religious sect and the Catholic Church is POWER.

Most religious organizations lack a strong, central governing body where as Catholicism is defined by the Vatican and the Pope. Therein lies the difference. When there is scandal in the Catholic Church is goes all the way back to the root because they supposedly have a structure overseeing the whole. Not to mention all the nonsense about being gods ordained governing body here in the flesh.

Ironically, the Marianists are a sort of rogue operation. They are self governing and do not hold themselves accountable to the diocese of Rockville Centre. The average person isn't aware of that though and so the same rules of outrage against a slip in the Catholic Church apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island