Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 AM

200 posts, read 285,193 times

Advertisements

I live in Garden City. My family and I moved here when I was in the first grade. The people who live here are mean, snobbs, elite bastards who think they are better than everyone else. Look to sum it up don't move here and just stay away! Coming here would be a bad idea for any regular kind people. Garden City should change its name to Garbage City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
I live in Garden City. My family and I moved here when I was in the first grade. The people who live here are mean, snobbs, elite bastards who think they are better than everyone else. Look to sum it up don't move here and just stay away! Coming here would be a bad idea for any regular kind people. Garden City should change its name to Garbage City.
Why don't you at least wait until the third grade before judging?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I am FROM a place on LI where people have "a lot of money". Locust Valley. Not every one in LV is loaded. We shared a school district with working class Bayville.

Garden City is not a place I would live. Not well thought of any longer, I will guess that you have never been to Ohio - or any part of the Midwest.

ETA - Do NOT EVER TELL ME WHERE TO "STICK TO". Lived on LI for 48 years. Like the North Shore. Can't afford it as a minister, teacher. There are plenty of places on Long Island that I wouldn't take if you payed me. I will refrain from naming them.

The"ignore"feature is your friend. I suggest you use it.

Ahh yes Locust Valley with some very nice areas to be sure, but there is a reason the people in the surrounding towns snootily refer it as "low-cost valley" (l lived in Brookville for years).

LMAO, did I strike a chord over there in flyover country chief?? Wow! Hilarious that an internet poster can get you all riled up, take a deep breath now and calm down....

FYI I will say what ever I want, its a free country and If you cant handle a simple forum post, I suggest YOU take advantage of the ignore feature. I don't care how long you lived here, you don't anymore. Stick to Ohio.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 AM

200 posts, read 285,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Why don't you at least wait until the third grade before judging?
Ok you go live 20+ years next to people who look down on you and think they are doing you a favor by saying hello to you. I think after a while you would feel the same.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Only on CD could an article discussing how welcoming the community in a particular Long Island village is devolve into an argument about how everyone in that same town is a heartless bastard.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Quote:
Ok you go live 20+ years next to people who look down on you and think they are doing you a favor by saying hello to you. I think after a while you would feel the same.
That's normal LI behavior. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM

402 posts, read 518,192 times
Im surprised that everyone is bashing GC. We have a few friends who have moved into the area and they are all of mixed-raced marriages. Not one of them has complained about the area being biased towards them. All of their neighbors are friendly and invite them to their homes etc. All of their kids are invited over for parties... I just dont think it's as terrible as some of the posters make it. Also, they arent THAT rich... Working class where two parents work but certainly not rich

On the other hand, my husband's cousin grew up and chose to settle down in GC and he thinks its the greatest town in the world. He had a comment for every town we told him we were looking at (we recently bought a new home). You could say Upper Brookville and he would say 'oh, the school system isnt in the top 5' ... Things like that. He also said things like 'well, there is no lower class in GC' etc etc

Needless to say, this cousin will inherit Daddy's company and has literally been given everything by his parents (including the $1.5 million dollar home they bought).

Even though i have some great friends in GC, we avoided it because we didnt want to be in a town where residents had a mentality like his cousin.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
Im surprised that everyone is bashing GC. We have a few friends who have moved into the area and they are all of mixed-raced marriages. Not one of them has complained about the area being biased towards them. All of their neighbors are friendly and invite them to their homes etc. All of their kids are invited over for parties... I just dont think it's as terrible as some of the posters make it. Also, they arent THAT rich... Working class where two parents work but certainly not rich

On the other hand, my husband's cousin grew up and chose to settle down in GC and he thinks its the greatest town in the world. He had a comment for every town we told him we were looking at (we recently bought a new home). You could say Upper Brookville and he would say 'oh, the school system isnt in the top 5' ... Things like that. He also said things like 'well, there is no lower class in GC' etc etc

Needless to say, this cousin will inherit Daddy's company and has literally been given everything by his parents (including the $1.5 million dollar home they bought).

Even though i have some great friends in GC, we avoided it because we didnt want to be in a town where residents had a mentality like his cousin.
All good points. GC is half upper middle class in typical sized homes and half lower million dollar large homes, but not upper brookville or sands point rich either. I don't get the bad rap.

People in Upper Brookville don't care about the public school ratings because they pretty much all send their kids to Greenvale, Friends Academy, and LI Lutheran.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM

96 posts, read 186,935 times
1. My grandparents lived in GC in the 50s (mixed Protestant/Catholic marriage) Grandma remembered fondly. Know a lot of contemporaries from school and work who grew up there, moved there, and share a golf club with several. All very pleasant, all some degree of what passes for economic success, but never a hit of the kind of the terrible snobbery some people describe here. I would have moved there If i could get my wife out of Manhattan.

2. The "Low Cost" pun on Locust Valley is more an ironic inside joke than a put down. Though I suppose people in Mill Neck might look down on LV

Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times
Quote:
Sure, you live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Garden City is only welcoming to rich white folk.
The place is totally racist and full of bigots and snobbery.
I live in Garden City. Nice insult there.

As far as the NYT article is concerned: I don't relate to that at all. About 70% of GC homes are on a 60x100/125 lot which is pretty standard for an upper-middle class area, so it's not this rich "snobby" town.

What I like, is that I have wonderful neighbors/people in my block. Schools are excellent. Crime is low. Commute to NYC is great.

About Hempstead: most houses in Hempstead probably pay a a similar tax rate compared to GC, but their schools are terrible. Why? Well, look who's running that town. This is *NOT* a racist comment (not meant to be), but a fact. It's similar to the people running Baltimore, Chicago, etc. Let liberal and PC people run your town, and your screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island