Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 726 times

Advertisements

yet another GC thread that highlights negative issues of race, class, religion, etc. (what does that tell you) - i lived in GC for many years and attended its public schools (my family still lives there - they deny there is any issue with GC whatsoever) - that was some time ago, but i clearly remember a certain teacher and a certain coach using the n-word, which shocked me then and still now - although friends and classmates, etc., got along well, there was definitely always a strong pro-catholic/anti-semetic vibe too - asian's always got a pass!

no GC alum's ever seem to mention that there were two very active sorority's and one frat in the public high school, which were supported by the parents and the teachers, with illicit activities that would land those parents and teachers in jail, by today's standards (just look at the year books from the 80's) - that sort of "training" indoctrinated those students to the institutional alcoholism that I have seen many GC residents succumb to

here is my thought: it's difficult to say there are none of the aforementioned problems with GC when folks to this day bring up those issues again and again (kind of like how minority pro athletes are wary of playing for a Boston team) - i don't see these problems going away any time soon, as you have so many folks who live there, generation after generation, keeping their "traditions" going - just like the GC high school frat and sorority system that was supported by parents and teachers who, when younger, participated in it too!

It's not to say that GC isn't a great place to live for all of the reasons you know - i would say that the overwhelming # of GC residents love it, and perhaps you wouldn't ever experience any problematic class, race, religion, alcoholism vibe (anymore than anywhere else) - when you check the stats though, if you are a "minority," you will always be a minority in GC, albeit a wealthy one - i don't predict the stats of african american, latino, non-christians going up in GC anytime soon

for several decades, i've been living on the west coast, which also has its issues, but i still haven't experienced any of the issues I experienced in GC - once you live happily in a more diverse community, even those with much greater wealth than GC, you see the stark contrast with GC, which makes it tough for some who lived there to endorse GC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 AM

168 posts, read 289,405 times
Hi,

We have very good friends in GC that are wonderful people but also heard from other friends that it might not be the most inclusive city for foreigners with some bizarre stories that I'm not going to tell as they are not mine. But, let me tell you our bizarre story that happened today...

My wife has a friend who lives in GC and they jog in the morning around there. She parks her car on the street in front of her friend's house (in legal parking hours) and they go out jogging. Well, today she had ashes (from a fireplace or similar) all around the car's driver-door handle and in the passenger's side door as well. This is one of the wealthiest part of the city, btw, on a quiet stree where nobody walks by. So, this has to be some neighbors upset because of something but they have not said a word nor showed up to talk about whatever issue they have... or perhaps just some perturbed individual or kid in a random act of minor vandalism.

In any case, not the best publicity for the city...

... and yes, we are foreigners... if that matters...

Regards,
Hipo

Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
doubleyou tee eff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island