Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 5,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
+1

What would you consider high end? A $3,000 armoire for a child's room isn't high end? What brand(s) are high end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 5,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Furniture depreciates faster than an ice cube in the sun on a 90* day....

If you have a pick-up or van and can offer delivery, that might help a little- otherwise, just keep plugging away on Craigslist, and lower the price till you get action.

I'd avoid consignment. It'll sit for a long time and depreciate even more; may get damaged; and after the commish, you'll end up with less than what you want anyway.

Ditto Ebay- no good for stuff that can't be easily/cheaply shipped.

A lot of people are seeing it on CL. If it's not selling, it's priced too high. Listing it other places is not going to magically make it worth more.

Google the model, and see what the cheapest price new is (probably a lot cheaper than what you paid, if you bought at a retail furniture store0. And know that used, yours will have to be priced probably a good 50% below that, or worse.

Without even seeing it, I can tell you that if you have it priced over $1000, it's not going to sell, unless you get REALLY lucky and just happen to luck into one person who just happened to be looking for that particular model, and would be happy to buy yours instead of a new one- which just might happen if you advertise it long enough.

It is still in the store for over $3K - it is barely used but I priced it fairly at $750.00. ?!!! then $650.00

I agree about EBAY - I can't ship it!!

Thank you!!

Old 06-10-2016, 02:26 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
How about posting it on Face Book?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennycap View Post
that is exactly what I priced it at - honestly, it is beautiful and barely used. I just want it gone!!

Thank you!
Darn! I thought maybe you were trying to get two grand for it or something. I'd really think that it'd sell at your reasonable price. But then again...it's LI, where everyone's rich, and I guess they figure used stuff is beneath them.... From what I hear from friends who still live there, even used cars are hard to sell on CL there.

Too bad! Just a couple of weeks ago, I had my friend from there bring me down a couple of vehicles on his 35' trailer. Shoot, had I known, I might have bought your armoire for my mother, and he could have brought it down when he came. Sounds like a great deal for $750.....can't imagine that someone wouldn't jump on it for $650.

Just for the heck of it: Why don't you try putting it on CL for $1500? I wouldn't be surprised if then you started getting "low-ball" offers....which might actually end up being more than what you initially asked for it!

Seriously- I had this Canadian friend who used to say "If it doesn't sell, raise the price until it does". I used to scoff...but darn, he was successful. Sometimes it's about perceived value- ask a low price, and people don't think it's worth much. Ask a ridiculously high price, and people think it's worth more, and feel that they're getting a great bargain when they "low-ball" you and get it for $900. Couldn't hurt to try, eh?
(I like doing stuff like that just as a social experiment!) - 'd be hilarious (and nice) if it worked!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:20 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Yeah those facebook yard sale pages are actually pretty good.
Sold a bunch of stuff through them. Also had to deal with quite a few tool bags but the pros outweigh the cons and that's coming from me, mr miserable who hates everybody and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island