Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
What's next, a taxpayer-funded scheme to bring back pay phones?
Verizon just rolled this out and Brookhaven is finally getting on board:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 AM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Verizon just rolled this out and Brookhaven is finally getting on board:
Must be what they mean by "the internet of things"

Here, we see Steve Bellone on his way to inaugurate the new $1.2B service in the county's newest $200K "green" vehicle:

Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 AM

481 posts, read 665,833 times
Don't forget the source mall.....

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM

481 posts, read 665,833 times
but this news was from December 21, 2015. You think they are still working on this?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Roosevelt Field seems to be expanding and doing well. Broadway Mall just renovated and new stores including eateries are popping up there..
Roosevelt took on more risk my going upscale. Few malls can take on those risks

Interesting article

Upscale Shopping Centers Nudge Out Down-Market Malls
Upscale Shopping Centers Nudge Out Down-Market Malls - WSJ

Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
I'm agnostic on the idea of a mall on that parcel, but the idea that tax breaks for it are necessary or desirable in this perfectly developed and prosperous corner of western Suffolk is totally offensive. Does ANYONE support this crap? Why does this happen at all?

I feel the same way about all the Nassau IDA incentives flooding Valley Stream. Say what you will about Green Acres, but I kinda doubt that IDA money was desperately needed to develop a prime parcel adjacent to a busy mall on Sunrise Highway (where local taxes are low by LI standards). A car dealership in Valley Stream, on Merrick Road, I believe, towards the Queens side of town, also managed to secure IDA money. How unfair to the string of other car dealers operating on the same street!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I'm agnostic on the idea of a mall on that parcel, but the idea that tax breaks for it are necessary or desirable in this perfectly developed and prosperous corner of western Suffolk is totally offensive. Does ANYONE support this crap? Why does this happen at all?

I feel the same way about all the Nassau IDA incentives flooding Valley Stream. Say what you will about Green Acres, but I kinda doubt that IDA money was desperately needed to develop a prime parcel adjacent to a busy mall on Sunrise Highway (where local taxes are low by LI standards). A car dealership in Valley Stream, on Merrick Road, I believe, towards the Queens side of town, also managed to secure IDA money. How unfair to the string of other car dealers operating on the same street!
It is beyond offensive. We get to subsidize a developer to further overcrowd things.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
I mean it's definitely silly seeing as WW is so close. I'm just happy I live in an area that doesn't see much commercial development. I'll probably never step foot in it. As others have said, in the age of online shopping, this seems like another waste of money, and is likely to fail, especially with solidified competition so close by.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Roosevelt took on more risk my going upscale. Few malls can take on those risks

Interesting article

Upscale Shopping Centers Nudge Out Down-Market Malls
Upscale Shopping Centers Nudge Out Down-Market Malls - WSJ
Speaking of upscale malls, has the traffic immediately surrounding The Americana always been that bad? Or was it a result of the mall? These things hurt.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Speaking of upscale malls, has the traffic immediately surrounding The Americana always been that bad? Or was it a result of the mall? These things hurt.
I worked at 1044 Northern Blvd 30 years ago and the traffic was bad then, but seeing as I don't know what it is like today, take my observation with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island