Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Yes, he was born in New Hyde Park, but his mental illness had nothing to do with Long Island or anyplace else he lived. As details about his jerky family become clearer, why would anyone blame Long Island or Orlando? Makes no sense to me.
The New Hyde Park birthplace probably means he was born at LIJ. I didn't see any reference that he ever lived in NHP. If I'm correct, then hundreds of people are born in NHP every year. It's kind of silly to use the hospital's address as a person's birthplace when they never lived there. I guess this guy's family lived in the metropolitan area for awhile but not in NHP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The New Hyde Park birthplace probably means he was born at LIJ. I didn't see any reference that he ever lived in NHP. If I'm correct, then hundreds of people are born in NHP every year. It's kind of silly to use the hospital's address as a person's birthplace when they never lived there. I guess this guy's family lived in the metropolitan area for awhile but not in NHP.
That'c correct -- he listed NHP Queens for LIJ when he submitted documents to legally change of name. His family lived in Westbury on Land Lane until he was about 8 years old prior to moving to Florida. In Florida he attended a junior/senior high school for students with behavioral issues.

Quote:
“He had issues. All the records were discarded by the school system, per statute. Clearly, if his employer had access to his juvenile record, he would be the last person to own a weapon,” the former administrator, Marty Bielicki, wrote.

Read more here: Omar Mateen's high school classmates remember him celebrating on morning of 9/11 | Miami Herald
Years ago, I had read a paper written by someone in flyover country who had no familiarity with Long Island. They suggested that we have so many mass murders/killers because there are so many of us in a small place and that there were stressors brought about by this density. They mentioned Colin Ferguson, Amy Fisher, Cheryl Pierson, Joel Rifkin, and IIRC, Robert Shulman. People who are unfamiliar with LI have no idea just how large it is. Who here hasn't heard, "Oh, you're from LI, do you know Tallullah?"

Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Lotta people think NY is only the city and the island.
They totally don't realize how huge NY state is.
And how very different it is once you leave the metro area.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Lotta people think NY is only the city and the island.
They totally don't realize how huge NY state is.
And how very different it is once you leave the metro area.
You mean you don't live/spend all of your time in Times Square? Weirdo.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:47 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
You mean you don't live/spend all of your time in Times Square? Weirdo.
I'm on the side of the road puking before even getting into Valley Stream.
Then I see the "Welcome to Queens" sign and it's all over.
Can't do it. I like swamps and trees and critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island