Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
It *can* be done in a smaller home relatively deep into Suffolk. Someone other than me suggested Bay Shore- that was a good suggestion. I reiterate Patchougue. There are many areas of central Suffolk where this is doable and I listed a number of them. And no, they are not in horrible school districts.

As others have pointed out, it is even possible to do it in Nassau, but the house will be small and in rough condition.
The OP's requirements are a family of 5, schools, and sub 2 hours to NYC. Your answer of Bay Shore or Pat/Med does not tick the schools or commute boxes. Justifying the schools to say they "are not horrible" wouldn't fly by me. Sure, they're not the worst LI can offer, but they wouldn't even approach "good".

All that said, if you want to get past the schools and commute they would have to squeeze into a run down house at that price point. I stand by the comment that this wouldn't qualify as a solid middle class upbringing for 3 kids on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
All that said, if you want to get past the schools and commute they would have to squeeze into a run down house at that price point. I stand by the comment that this wouldn't qualify as a solid middle class upbringing for 3 kids on LI.
hard to say. Still a handful of unknowns. Maybe the OP's husband can fix up a old beat up house on the cheap. Maybe the family is young and his income can grow. Maybe the wife can work PT or FT at some point.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Christie Brinkley's home is on sale for ONLY $29.5 million dollars in the Hamptons...

Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 551 times
Since you say there is no real reason for your move, I wanted to also point out nationally NJ schools have always outranked NY schools by quite a lot. NJ was around 3rd last I remember and NY was around 25th. New York State, not NYC. It's something to consider. I'm also looking to move to LI, which is why I'm on this forum. I would check the school districts of the towns mentioned.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJarowey View Post
Since you say there is no real reason for your move, I wanted to also point out nationally NJ schools have always outranked NY schools by quite a lot. NJ was around 3rd last I remember and NY was around 25th. New York State, not NYC. It's something to consider. I'm also looking to move to LI, which is why I'm on this forum. I would check the school districts of the towns mentioned.
3rd best? Pffft, yeah, if that were the case, the graduates would have enough sense not to continue living in NJ, and the place would be a ghost town by now.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Christie Brinkley's home is on sale for ONLY $29.5 million dollars in the Hamptons...
That dump isn't worth half of that. I wouldn't pay a penny over 5 mil.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJarowey View Post
NJ is a big state. You assume too much from looking at one state as a whole. NYC & metro area locals even forget that places like Plattsburgh or Rochchester is part of NY State.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island