U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:31 AM

864 posts, read 580,415 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I just moved to albertson from great neck.
In both towns I saw the trash collecting guys just throwing my recycling all in the same truck as regular trash.

We're all so stupid making the effort of separating trash and even paying our towns for a service they're not providing.

Did anyone try to do something about it?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 1,733,393 times
Over here in Farmingdale, and even when I lived in Seaford and Holtsville, there was seperate truck on a seperate day that took the recycled items. I think it is a waste. I read that the amount of energy and pollution that is created by recycling completely offsets its purpose. But, people seem to need these feel good programs, so it will remain.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:54 AM

2,716 posts, read 3,167,806 times
Same thing happening here in East Hills as the OP. Residents made a stink about it, so they just made the same truck come back twice with a magnetic recycle sign stuck on the garbage truck. Garbage guys tell me it still all goes to same dump. I still seperate because if the town wants to be a dick about it, they can ticket me.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 16,950,301 times
I'm pretty sure TOH has separate recycling. Our recycle is picked up much later than our garbage. I'm not sure what happens after that but it doesnt go on the same truck - at least not for my neighborhood

Recycling makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the world even though i'm probably not.

Fun fact: Sweden recycles so well that it has run out of garbage & has to import gaebage from Norway to fuel it's energy programs. Sweden is such a goody-two-shoes lol

Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,386,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm pretty sure TOH has separate recycling. Our recycle is picked up much later than our garbage. I'm not sure what happens after that but it doesnt go on the same truck - at least not for my neighborhood

Recycling makes me feel like i'm doing something good for the world even though i'm probably not.

Fun fact: Sweden recycles so well that it has run out of garbage & has to import gaebage from Norway to fuel it's energy programs. Sweden is such a goody-two-shoes lol
Valley Stream uses separate trucks. And we still have to separate out cardboard.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 AM

4,197 posts, read 3,914,685 times
Im TOB. We get separate recycling pickup on a separate day.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:33 AM

Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I used to feel the same way. Now, what would make me feel good is actually doing something about it. I'm gonna call the NY state to see if they can check on what these towns are doing. Maybe we're lucky and they have some sort of auditing.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,251,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Thank you all.
I used to feel the same way. Now, what would make me feel good is actually doing something about it. I'm gonna call the NY state to see if they can check on what these towns are doing. Maybe we're lucky and they have some sort of auditing.
Carting companies employ pickers at their stations to separate trash from metal and cardboard. They're not going to throw money away but if the price per ton of cardboard is not worth the effort it may get burned along with trash.

lol....good luck calling NYS on trash info. Try the Scarfo Family and they'll invite you to the docks to discuss it further.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Valley Stream uses separate trucks. And we still have to separate out cardboard.
Same here according to their website. But in practice it isn't happening. At least not every time.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:24 PM

16,827 posts, read 17,225,618 times
I notice that occasionally they will dump the recycle bin in with the regular garbage.
Whatever. As long as it's gone I don't care. I'm doing my part to not get fined.
I put the stuff out on the proper day in the blue can. What they do with it doesn't concern me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island