U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 155,313 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to West Islip but will need to take the Babylon train into NYC. Anyone know if you have to have a permit to park at the station and, if so, do you have to be a resident of Babylon?
Just wondering how hard it will be to park at Babylon if a resident of West Islip.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,048,152 times
In order to get a permit for the Babylon LIRR station, you have to be a resident of the VILLAGE of Babylon (not the Town of Babylon).

They also have meter parking --- 25 cents per 3 hours. That's not too bad. Figure you'll be spending $1 or $1.25 a day on parking.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM

Default spaces

Thanks for the input. Do you know how easy it is to get a spot at the metered parking? Figure I would get there around 7am during the weekday. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM

7,861 posts, read 12,618,483 times
I moved to Babylon Village about 12 years ago and waited about three years for a parking permit. Now, I have one right next to the staircase so on rainy cold mornings, I can wait in my car until I see the headlights of the train....
There are a few places where some prescient and enterprizing people who bought adjoining property 30 years ago , have lots and they charge a monthly fee. You would be assured of a space that way. The metered spots are hit and miss. Good luck !

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks Nancy. As someone looking to move to LI from Atlanta, I'm a bit "in the dark" on how the parking will work. I appreciate the input!

By the way, if you live in the Village of Babylon are the schools good? Probably should put the question on another thread but would love your input since you live there.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM

7,861 posts, read 12,618,483 times
Yes, the school district is both small and nurturing. Not fancy, but Babylon is a close-knit very old-fashioned village with Santa Claus parades and street festivals and all.
You are welcome to start another thread if you want.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,048,152 times
I forgot about that monthly-fee lot.... That would be a better idea than the meters if you can get a guaranteed spot.

With the meters, you should get there about 1/2 hour before your train time since you may have to circle the lot a number of times in the hopes of finding a spot.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with West Islip

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlkelly View Post
Thinking of moving to West Islip ...

For those who may not be familiar with West Islip:

West Islip is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest section of the Town of Islip, in the southwest part of Suffolk County, along the Islip/Babylon town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Islip in the Town of Islip is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Baywood and the Hamlet of Bay Shore; on the east by the Hamlet of West Bay Shore; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Babylon and the Hamlet of North Babylon in the Town of Babylon (the Islip/Babylon town line).

The Hamlet of West Islip has a different border than does the "West Islip, NY 11795" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Islip, NY 11795" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Islip): places that have a "West Islip, NY 11795" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Islip are in the Hamlet of West Bay Shore and the Hamlet of Baywood.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlkelly View Post
... (W)ill need to take the Babylon train into NYC.

For those who may not be familiar with Babylon:

It is important to know that there are 3 "Babylons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Village of Babylon;

2. There is the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Village of Babylon and parts of adjacent hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Babylon, and it includes 3 villages and 12 hamlets as well as the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone and other postal zones, within its borders.

Babylon is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County (along the Babylon/Islip town line).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Babylon; on the east by the Hamlet of West Islip in the Town of Islip (the Babylon/Islip town line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Babylon.

The Village of Babylon has a different border than does the "Babylon, NY 11702" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and not be in the Village of Babylon and a place can have other than a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and be in the Village of Babylon): places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info on the lots around Babylon train station. Any idea how much these lots charge per month (on average)? Just trying to figure out what my additional costs will be from living on LI. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island