Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times

Advertisements

Check out this older thread. While from 2009, it seems that the train station is a safe 5 minute walk.

Walking from Bridgeport ferry to Amtrak station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Sort of going off of the OPs post:
Usually once every 3 months, I got to my company's office in Stamford. I've usually taken the train, but contemplated walking on the ferry and then taking the metro north to Stamford (my companys office is less than half a mile from the Stamford station).

I've heard that Bridgeport is a somewhat less than desirable area and wanted to know how far the metro north station was from the ferry? What are your thoughts on the area?
The Metro North station is a very short walk from the ferry BUT the area can be desolate depending on the time of day. You get off the ferry and head north, walk under I-95 and the Metro North crossing, turn right onto Water Street and then walk up to the station. My friend's wife does this for her commute to work several times a week. There's a lot of movement about during prime commuter times.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,002 times
The ferry terminal and Amtrak/Metro-North station are connected by a boardwalk.
It is about a city block and a 1/2 to the stairways up to the northbound or southbound platforms. For ticket machines, you need to enter the station building connected to the platforms around the midpoint. Starting in August 2016, we are supposed to be able to purchase New Haven Line tickets using the MTA eTix app on iPhone or Android.

Downtown Bridgeport is particularly safe with assigned officers and sub-station; the train station has its own Metro-North Police sub-station with Metro-North Police and the station and platforms are also patrolled by assigned security officers who can assist you with any needed information if the ticket windows are not open..

Even coming off the late ferry at 11:15pm, I have never been alone; there are always some other passengers heading to either the train station or into Downtown.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 15,627 times
Pretty amazing how spot on some of the advice here was.

My drive from LI to Darien, CT was pretty uneventful. Traffic was no worst then I expected and arrived in about an hour forty.

After work completed in about two hours, I started my drive up to Mohegan sun. And what a b*txh of a drive. Holy crap, no holiday weekend, I thought traffic wouldn't start until closer to 3, but I was bumper to bumper for a majority of the trip.

I was going to come home tonight but went a little over board here so will head home tomorrow morning through the orient point ferry. Anything to keep me a way from the 95

I didn't pre purchase my boarding pass because I wasn't sure when I was leaving. Just went to buy it and all the good times are obviously gone. I gotta get up bright and early to catch the ferry. Let's hope there's a nice breakfast spot in LI on my drive home to St James. I've actually never driven that part of LI before. Drive. The south side to montauk before.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyIsInLI View Post
Pretty amazing how spot on some of the advice here was.

My drive from LI to Darien, CT was pretty uneventful. Traffic was no worst then I expected and arrived in about an hour forty.

After work completed in about two hours, I started my drive up to Mohegan sun. And what a b*txh of a drive. Holy crap, no holiday weekend, I thought traffic wouldn't start until closer to 3, but I was bumper to bumper for a majority of the trip.

I was going to come home tonight but went a little over board here so will head home tomorrow morning through the orient point ferry. Anything to keep me a way from the 95

I didn't pre purchase my boarding pass because I wasn't sure when I was leaving. Just went to buy it and all the good times are obviously gone. I gotta get up bright and early to catch the ferry. Let's hope there's a nice breakfast spot in LI on my drive home to St James. I've actually never driven that part of LI before. Drive. The south side to montauk before.
I loathe I-95 from B'port and up.

How was your ride home? Did you find someplace for a good breakfast?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Sort of going off of the OPs post:
Usually once every 3 months, I got to my company's office in Stamford. I've usually taken the train, but contemplated walking on the ferry and then taking the metro north to Stamford (my companys office is less than half a mile from the Stamford station).

I've heard that Bridgeport is a somewhat less than desirable area and wanted to know how far the metro north station was from the ferry? What are your thoughts on the area?
The connection is good as people said. I've walked to the downtown of Bridgeport from the ferry while waiting for the train; it seemed fine midday and there are a few places to get lunch.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:53 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronWEsq View Post
The ferry terminal and Amtrak/Metro-North station are connected by a boardwalk.
It is about a city block and a 1/2 to the stairways up to the northbound or southbound platforms. For ticket machines, you need to enter the station building connected to the platforms around the midpoint. Starting in August 2016, we are supposed to be able to purchase New Haven Line tickets using the MTA eTix app on iPhone or Android.

Downtown Bridgeport is particularly safe with assigned officers and sub-station; the train station has its own Metro-North Police sub-station with Metro-North Police and the station and platforms are also patrolled by assigned security officers who can assist you with any needed information if the ticket windows are not open..

Even coming off the late ferry at 11:15pm, I have never been alone; there are always some other passengers heading to either the train station or into Downtown.
So looking for a job in Stamford if you're near the Pt Jeff station is really not that bad. When I used to work for UBS up there, I had some colleagues who rented in Bridgeport and talked pretty badly of the neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:12 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
So looking for a job in Stamford if you're near the Pt Jeff station is really not that bad. When I used to work for UBS up there, I had some colleagues who rented in Bridgeport and talked pretty badly of the neighborhood.
if you head west of the ferry terminal and stay south of I-95 (past Univ of Bridgeport) yes it's beyond bad. Downtown core is sad but starting to come back. As already mentioned the area directly around the ferry is quite safe and well kept. There are a few large parking garages in the area, along with the Webster Arena and a minor league ballpark.
North part of Bridgeport (above US1) is not all that bad . Adjacent towns (Trumbull, Stratford) are suburban LI style.
Many people take the ferry daily from LI and head west to Westport/Stamford etc. More than you would think.
I have heard about proposals to move the BP ferry terminal over to the other side of the harbor (where the new Bass Pro shop is). Lots of construction going on there currently.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I have heard about proposals to move the BP ferry terminal over to the other side of the harbor (where the new Bass Pro shop is). Lots of construction going on there currently.
Would that remove the train connection? Sounds inconvenient.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Would that remove the train connection? Sounds inconvenient.
Very inconvenient.

During this weekend's crossings I noticed the ferry was advertising it's shuttle to Bass Pro Shops for walk on clients. They are running a new, larger shuttle compared to the van they previously used.

The new ticketing service created problems last night. Cars were backed up outside the gates and onto the south service road for the RR. The 7pm ferry was booked solid, had a standby line and left late. Everyone for the fully booked 8 pm (including yours truly) had to wait behind the 7pm standbys until the late 7pm left before our tickets could be scanned allowing us access to the dock queues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island