Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 38,168 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to move to New Hyde Park this summer and I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on the commute from this area to Penn Station. We will probably live near the North Shore Jewish Long Island Memorial Hospital and I was wondering if any of the LIRR stations are more preferable in terms of parking etc. In particular, I was wondering how long the commute takes into Penn Station, how crowded the trains are (can you usually get a seat?) and the parking situation at the nearby LIRR stations (which appear to be the New Hyde Park or Floral Park stations). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 119,557 times
Bellerose is the stop right after Floral Park, on that line, going towards the city and while I don't believe there is a set parking lot, there are rows of parking spaces alongside the entrance to the station. Bellerose is a nice neighborhood, have family that has lived there for over 50 years, though it is more mixed nowadays.

As for times into Penn, just go on the LIRR website and track the route from any of the stations you listed or even Bellerose. It's the Hempstead line.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,575,389 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly82 View Post
My fiance and I are looking to move to New Hyde Park this summer and I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on the commute from this area to Penn Station. We will probably live near the North Shore Jewish Long Island Memorial Hospital ...

While Long Island Jewish may have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, it's in Lake Success, not in New Hyde Park.

For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success:

Lake Success is a village (incorporated in 1927) in the central-west part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/NYC border.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lake Success in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of University Gardens, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of Manhasset; on the east by the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau County/NYC line).

Lake Success is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lake Success have a "Great Neck, NY 11020" and "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

7,885 posts, read 9,080,400 times
There is also an express bus that runs into NYC on Union Turnpike.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 119,557 times
Is Walter a robot?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbob View Post
Is Walter a robot?
that is the rumor going around

Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
i read a while back that the new hyde park's LIRR residential parking waiting list is quite horrid.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 AM

1,917 posts, read 7,085,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbob View Post
Bellerose is the stop right after Floral Park, on that line, going towards the city and while I don't believe there is a set parking lot, there are rows of parking spaces alongside the entrance to the station.

There are rows of 12 hr metered parking spaces at the Floral Park stop, none really at the Bellerose stop.

Commute to Penn station is about 35 mins...check LIRR website for exact times from each stop. You can possibly get a seat...not sure on this. Depends on which train, which time, etc.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 38,168 times
Does anyone know where I can get info. on the Union Turnpike express bus? I thought that it had been discontinued.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 AM

244 posts, read 665,023 times
My advice is to skip the express bus. and don't park at the LIRR. The train from NHP station will have you in penn in less than 40 minutes. So grab the N25 bus headed south, it will drop you off right in front of the NHP station. Seats are usually available but more scarce on the 7:28. The 7:09 and the 7:38 are not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island