U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 AM

16,191 posts, read 25,626,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
My kids walked from s section to Murphy, and survived. God forbid they have to walk. This year the school board decided to raise taxes so the lil babies get a bus. Im so sick of this wussie society we live in. Its a joke.
The cost was $160,000 for 2 additional buses. State Aid is giving us $70,000 toward that.

The HS students on Sheep Pasture and Old Town have frequent near misses. No sidewalks, cars parked on the shoulders in some spots, force students to walk in the road. When there is snow on the ground there is no where for them to walk but along traffic. Compound that with the fact that it is barely light out.

My friend was killed as she walked down Quaker Path by a distracted driver who set off a multiple car accident. She was very active in trying to get sidewalks in the area around Gelinas.

I see crazies driving when I am out on the main roads and side streets. The influx of college students come Fall semester doesn't help. I'm typically for toughening someone up an not coddling the kids, but the fact is our roads have become more dangerous, more congested, and drivers (if they're even licensed) more distracted or oblivious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 AM
bg7

7,016 posts, read 6,420,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
then said responsible parent would provide transportation for kid...
or community would take care of its own, buses here give free rides to kids they see walking to school if it is along route, In the winter, cops would do the same when they are out on patrol in the morning/afternoon
Or they could just have sidewalks.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM

6,883 posts, read 8,095,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Or they could just have sidewalks.

What are the cost implications of building and maintaining sidewalks including cleaning, snow removal etc.? I heard some towns in northern Westchester like Bedford and Newcastle are averse to this due to the cost factor, except in villages surrounding train stations.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM

599 posts, read 250,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
I'm lost...so the kid has to walk down the shoulder of I-10 or what?

Walking to school is a great thing for a kid. The parent can walk with the kid. If he happens to ask why he must walk is the terrible grass (which of course he won't), it's a great opportunity to tell the kid that not everything is life is easy.

Why is this so difficult? Parents whining to the State to drive their kid the several blocks to school? Sorry, but have some pride and take care of your own child.

Screw pride. Parents are busy and paying upwards of $28k per student and paying teachers and admins a hefty sum. We also pay through the nose for transportation. Everyone wants something for WHAT THEY PAY. When economic times are good, they decrease the distance for busing. In down times, they fight to increase it. This isn't new, isn't news and isn't a reflection on "lazy" kids or parents. We pay big for a service. People want it. Commuting is time. Time is money. LI is expensive. What's so complicated?

Too funny all the "duh, I walked uphill 10 miles in the snow to school barefoot" coming out to tell people how to get their kids to school. Cops are afraid to get out of their cruisers but my kid can skip merrily 3/4 mile to school, dodging the wingnuts texting and running stop signs all the way and hoping the local sex offender takes the day off?! Sure.

Not to mention, by every real estate standard, LI neighborhoods are generally considered overwhelmingly NOT walkable.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 AM

16,191 posts, read 25,626,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What are the cost implications of building and maintaining sidewalks including cleaning, snow removal etc.? I heard some towns in northern Westchester like Bedford and Newcastle are averse to this due to the cost factor, except in villages surrounding train stations.
Cost to the taxpayers and depending upon homeowners, towns and NYS to clear them during snow storms? That's laughable. Locally, there are sidewalks to/from Stony Brook 'village' and LIRR along more heavily used roads. One is NYS, the other two Brookhaven's jurisdiction. During snow storms, NYS failed to clear the sidewalk it recently installed along 25A for SBU/LIRR users. Of the local residents who have Brookhaven sidewalks, I can count on 1 hand the number of people who cleaned the sidewalk out front their home. Could you imagine the cost to use NYS or Brookhaven employees to clear them of snow?

A local woman (who moved here from NYC and naturally wants to NYC the heck out of the area) is pushing for sidewalks everywhere in the 3V area. That would mean: cutting down trees, digging up the ROW in front of homes, laying hundreds of miles of sidewalk (this area alone) and installing ramps at the end of each street. Homes which people purchased because they had a bucolic feel would find sidewalks bissecting their properties. (I alone would stand to lose upwards of 10 trees.) Nevermind the fact that some properties would require retaining walls to hold back the earth from spilling onto the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: