U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
 
3,909 posts, read 6,115,559 times
Reputation: 2006

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can get more white and Catholic - Garden CitY. 88% vs.78% per the 2010 census.
Yet because of where the the majority non-whites in RVC live, the average resident experiences the same demographics as GC or any other comparable town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 AM
 
8 posts, read 5,630 times
Reputation: 10
Misfitg -- Thanks. I'm not definitely selling in 5 years, but it is a possibility because the house is on the smaller side, so it's a possibility. Either that or we do an addition.

Sirtiger -- We do own a condo in FH already and yes I realize investing in the city is 10X better return wise than LI. However, I'm trying to also find a place where I'm able to live happily. If it were up to just me I'd probably be outside of NY entirely, so LI is a compromise with my city raised husband.

S.I.B. -- I get your point but I'm a very friendly person (I think). I like to talk to people and get to know and be friendly with my neighbors. So that's why I'd like to find like-minded people. I find a lot of new yorkers, unless you're really far upstate, are not really into this. Point taken on the rr tracks....What about buying a house in GC right on New Hyde Park road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Plandome, NY
6,481 posts, read 6,461,101 times
Reputation: 3457
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycproblems View Post
Either that or we do an addition.
better budget carefully for a potential tax jump.....it can shock some people.


You titled better investment purchase, so I suggested staying in FH. I believe Queens will outperform Nassau as a whole. The typical 15-20 grand in property taxes scare a lot of people....but it should be solid for years to come. Again, that is my guess assuming the Nassau budget doesn't implode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 AM
 
1,043 posts, read 492,681 times
Reputation: 904
If you're looking at a smaller house, I don't think it will make too much of a difference either way. Personally, I believe that smaller properties in GC have to max out at some point sooner than RVC just because they are already significantly higher overall. One has to start questioning whether spending $800k on a small house on a 60x100 plot is something people who can afford $800k are willing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM
 
1,082 posts, read 627,268 times
Reputation: 639
An index fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Nassau County
2,372 posts, read 2,034,141 times
Reputation: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Yet because of where the the majority non-whites in RVC live, the average resident experiences the same demographics as GC or any other comparable town.
True, you have the projects in RVC. There is also a growing Dominican population there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
 
2,620 posts, read 2,644,720 times
Reputation: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Yet because of where the the majority non-whites in RVC live, the average resident experiences the same demographics as GC or any other comparable town.
Same is true of many towns, point being however GC is 10% whiter than RVC (and RVC has a Jewish contingent as well, not many Jews in GC). Whether this is important to you or not is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM
 
3,909 posts, read 6,115,559 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Same is true of many towns
not to the extent that it's true in RVC.
Quote:
point being however GC is 10% whiter than RVC (and RVC has a Jewish contingent as well, not many Jews in GC). Whether this is important to you or not is up to you.
how many jewish folk are there in RVC vs. GC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 02:06 PM
 
2,620 posts, read 2,644,720 times
Reputation: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
not to the extent that it's true in RVC.

how many jewish folk are there in RVC vs. GC?
A quick Google shows three temples in RVC vs one in GC. This article says the GC Jewish population is 2%.

Tell Me Why... | www.gcnews.com | Garden City News

This article lists RVC as one of the principle places of Jewish residence in NY.

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/studie...fm?FileID=1793
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 06:52 PM
 
8 posts, read 5,630 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree 100%. You're not going to lose money in either town. Well maybe if you buy a house backing up to the Mainline RR tracks in Garden City. And if any town has become more popular it is probably RVC. I don't see any real change with GC from 20-25 years ago. Always been sought after by people who work in the city as it's an easier commute.
Would you think the same thing about buying right on New Hyde Park Road? (pretty major 4 lane road)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top