U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:38 PM

186 posts, read 122,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
More interested in reading about the details of the case. Reading 1 section of a law is absolutely useless.

you sound as if you don't believe a homeowner can be sued by a worker they hire. Happens all too often especially in NY State because NY State has a law on the books that is supported by Albany politicians because they get paid off by the trial lawyer lobbyists.

research the Scaffold Law, labor law 240

neighbor two houses down got sued for a day worker he hired fixing his roof last year. I laugh to myself because he always brags about the deals he gets for work performed by cheap labor.

Keep hiring illegals, they know just how to make a big pay day on the cheap American homeowner. There's a ton of trial lawyers out there who love day laborers claiming injuries on your property. Easy money

and anybody paying out 160-200 bucks a day for a cash off the books worker is completely nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 PM

6,181 posts, read 2,956,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wow,so many supporters of illegal immigrants on this forum!

Why not just use Craigslist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
you sound as if you don't believe a homeowner can be sued by a worker they hire. Happens all too often especially in NY State because NY State has a law on the books that is supported by Albany politicians because they get paid off by the trial lawyer lobbyists.

neighbor two houses down got sued for a day worker he hired fixing his roof last year. I laugh to myself because he always brags about the deals he gets for work performed by cheap labor.

Keep hiring illegals, they know just how to make a big pay day on the cheap American homeowner. There's a ton of trial lawyers out there who love day laborers claiming injuries on your property. Easy money

and anybody paying out 160-200 bucks a day for a cash off the books worker is completely nuts
I've known tons of people to hire immigrant workers and never heard of anything bad happening

Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 PM

15,724 posts, read 17,676,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
That is what CL is good for? your DH seems to be rather knowledgable hmmm
Yes he is

Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 PM

414 posts, read 165,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've known tons of people to hire immigrant workers and never heard of anything bad happening
Just curious: how do you guys know these are illegal immigrants?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 AM

667 posts, read 453,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post

Of course I believe people get sued all the time because of injuries on their property. What's so unbelievable about that?

A day laborer loses an eye. Sues the home owner. Home owner has to pay out 750K. That's a lot of money and I would like to verify if that was true.

I'm also not sure about what poster stated about what's covered under insurance. So with a link to the case, I can forward to my insurance agent and ask if my 1over2mil insurance would protect me from a situation like that.

It wouldn't stop me from hiring guys from 7-11 to do some basic work around the house. Maybe not put them on the roof. But honestly, their prices of 150/day is getting too high. It's becoming less and less of a savings because licensed and insured guys can be found for around 250/day.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:46 AM

937 posts, read 636,014 times
A few months ago I had my roof replaced by a reputable, licensed contractor operating here on LI. The bulk of the work was done by Spanish speaking guys, and over 3 days different men took over the work.

I have no idea of their immigration status and it's not my business to ask. More than likely most of them were illegals. The point is, certain sectors of the economy would collapse without illegals, including construction, farm labor and household services. Chinese takeout places rely on illegal alien cooks, and they work in different places traveling up and down the east coast using those cheap bus lines that leave from Chinatowns.

People talk a good game about kicking out the illegals, but the economy would suffer without them.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:03 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,650,452 times
who cares if they are legal or illegal. Either will probably sue you anyway if they lost their eye

Old 08-11-2016, 05:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 9,475,880 times
One of my ex employers was sued by an employee who was an undocumented illegal. He like stubbed his toe or something ridiculous like that.
He went and hired one of those bleeding heart liberal attorneys and hosed the boss for around 30k.

And the guy was 100% illegal. Jumped the fence and everything.
It didn't matter. Pay up.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,307,161 times
You can sue anyone for literally anything. Whether it goes anywhere is a different story. But if there's even the slightest hint of an injury, there will be a willing blood-sucking lawyer out there who will take the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island