Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:13 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Endowed Jackhammer View Post
No one paid me FaM. Dead serious. You clowns have been running this Shirlmastic crap for weeks now. It's retarded, mainly because you know absolutely NOTHING about the area.

Go feel the vibe and get back to me.
When's the last time you been there?

Do you hang out there?

Prove your case and show me why I should not invest there

"expert" <- LMaO

Talk that talk FaM

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 05:57 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From the same thread

You guys are trying too hard
From the same thread

I don't have to try at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastikake View Post
Most of the crime in that area occurs south of montauk highway, generally in the area by the poospetuck indian reservation. But since you probably won't spend much time there, it won't be an issue. The mastic/shirely area has a lot of problems with halfway houses and poorly maintained section 8 rentals but north shirley doesn't so issues stemming from that will have no effect on you.
Sorry, any town that refers to an area where 'most of the crime' occurs should not be considered ok. Not to mention lots of problems with 'halfway houses and poorly maintained section 8 rentals'...boy oh boy that sounds like a great place to live, despite the 'good area' by Smith Point. So I'm supposed to think Shirley is just fine based on a single block in a neighborhood?

The facts are there. Your quote could also be negated by the fact that the person openly has no children and isn't exposed to the awful schools there.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've actually driven through there as I've had to meet people in the area. It's not nice. Curious that you are having such a problem with an area you've likely never been to.

Bottom line, if any outsider got wind of a conversation about hearing the defense on Shirley, odds are you'd hear most of what I'm saying. And if they're not, then they likely live there....

Maybe we can dispute Brentwood next...I mean the area by country club is so nice, despite the rest of the area looking like a hood.

Maybe we can dispute Central Islip next...I mean the area by the Ducks stadium is so nice, despite the rest of the area being overridden in crime.

Maybe we can dispute Wyandanch next...I mean the area around the village rentals is so nice, despite the rest of the area being...well, Wyandanch.

Don't even get me started on Mastic....

Last edited by pidge1114; 09-16-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
From the same thread

I don't have to try at all.

Sorry, any town that refers to an area where 'most of the crime' occurs should not be considered ok. Not to mention lots of problems with 'halfway houses and poorly maintained section 8 rentals'...boy oh boy that sounds like a great place to live, despite the 'good area' by Smith Point. So I'm supposed to think Shirley is just fine based on a single block in a neighborhood?

The facts are there. Your quote could also be negated by the fact that the person openly has no children and isn't exposed to the awful schools there.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've actually driven through there as I've had to meet people in the area. It's not nice. Curious that you are having such a problem with an area you've likely never been to.

Bottom line, if any outsider got wind of a conversation about hearing the defense on Shirley, odds are you'd hear most of what I'm saying. And if they're not, then they likely live there....

Maybe we can dispute Brentwood next...I mean the area by country club is so nice, despite the rest of the area looking like a hood.

Maybe we can dispute Central Islip next...I mean the area by the Ducks stadium is so nice, despite the rest of the area being overridden in crime.

Maybe we can dispute Wyandanch next...I mean the area around the village rentals is so nice, despite the rest of the area being...well, Wyandanch.

Don't even get me started on Mastic....
What crime?

Am I gonna get robbed or shot walking on Neighborhood Road?

Thats the point, nobody from the 5 boros is even gonna flinch around there

Middle class 5 boros will buy it all up

Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
What crime?

Do you consider getting stabbed serious enough? Perhaps since it's not shot, you'll still think Shirley is Shangri-La...

https://patch.com/new-york/shirley-m...tic-beach-cops

Happened just last night. Neighborhood Road.

What else you got

Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Do you consider getting stabbed serious enough? Perhaps since it's not shot, you'll still think Shirley is Shangri-La...

https://patch.com/new-york/shirley-m...tic-beach-cops

Happened just last night. Neighborhood Road.

What else you got
Never said it was Shangri-La

But the prices will attract people.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:

The prices will attract people at what cost? Moderate crime, bad schools, basically everything that has been mentioned that can be confirmed with facts, despite how its spun to be otherwise. Apparently a stabbing on the very street you mentioned as safe would still be a viable option.

People jumping from the boroughs to buy cheap doesn't equate to the area booming with gentrification. Actually its very likely to be the opposite...fueling the area with more of the same who, by your own logic, are not bothered by such things that cause an area such as Shirley to be the way it is.

So sure, go ahead and start snatching up all the foreclosures! Its gonna be awesome.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM

497 posts, read 284,628 times
Quote:
What crime?

You seem to think that literally anywhere on Long Island is safe. Nobody from a decent to nice part of NYC would want to live in a ghetto area of Long Island (not saying that's the case with this neighborhood, I'm not familiar with it)

Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM

497 posts, read 284,628 times
Quote:

It's not commuting distance from NYC. It will only attract people who land Suffolk County jobs

Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Pidge is out of touch. The new generation doesn't care for white picket fences anymore. They're out of style. Just look at where all the Long Island kids move to these days...Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood, Bed-Stuy, etc... Places with many multiples more stabbings than in Mastic Beach and Shirley. How many homicides this year in the Mastics? Maybe one at most, and not sure that even happened yet. Guy got stabbed on Neighborhood Rd this weekend resulted in minor injury. A paper cut.

There is an affordability crisis right now. College grads gotta move back home with mommy or daddy else move down south. Pidge is oblivious. And all those Long Island kids that bought in Brooklyn now got equity. They can buy beach houses out east on the cheap. They don't need Bellport or the Hamptons. That lifestyle is out of fashion. Nice to be nearby, but the younger generation rather not fall into the debt trap they saw their parents fall into.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
It's not commuting distance from NYC. It will only attract people who land Suffolk County jobs
But close to the beach. You can't find a neighborhood on Long Island that is closer to an ocean beach. Brownstone in Bed-Stuy, beach cottage in the Mastics. It's the new life of luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island