U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,872,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I attended last year and it was an utter disappointment -- not the Greatest Show on Earth at all. They had gotten away from the traditional 3 ring format and instead had a show long 'fantasy' where actors played a family of 4 and each family member lived out a lifelong circus dream; for example mom was a highwire performer, dad was the Ringmaster. There were thearical singing numbers and far fewer animals. In short -- it stunk and even my youngest - 7 at the time -- didn't like it. And yes, there were dog and cat tricks.

There was a new program that they started where if you pay a premium, you get driven around the circus floor in special wagons and have the best seats in the house.

We had attended in 2004 and it was an incredible, 3 ring, Greatest Show on Earth. The kids were amazed, the clowns were phenomenal. We saw Bello, a clown acrobat, who was funny, dynamic and had an awesome sense of balance. He was absent last year, but it is my understanding he is back this year.

If you are considering buying tickets, check to make sure that they've gone back to their old format. Don't waste your money on the new one.
I recently read that the Circus industry is really suffering because it's impossible to get work visas for the foreign performers (who are the majority of the crew) anymore. A lot of the smaller ones out west have shut down completely. Pretty sad, guess there aren't many Americans left willing to work in that business.

If it comes around, you might be better off checking out the UniverSOUL Circus. I went to that at the Coliseum when I was younger and it was pretty crazy, just as good as the Ringling Brothers from what I remember. I doubt they're suffering from being short staffed since it's all black performers. I dunno if I'd wanna go to any circus at this point in my life because now it just seems a little creepy to me, but if I had kids I'd drag them to that haha
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 AM

3,503 posts, read 5,461,256 times
Thanks for the confirmation. My co-workers had the same exact story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I attended last year and it was an utter disappointment -- not the Greatest Show on Earth at all. They had gotten away from the traditional 3 ring format and instead had a show long 'fantasy' where actors played a family of 4 and each family member lived out a lifelong circus dream; for example mom was a highwire performer, dad was the Ringmaster. There were thearical singing numbers and far fewer animals. In short -- it stunk and even my youngest - 7 at the time -- didn't like it. And yes, there were dog and cat tricks.

There was a new program that they started where if you pay a premium, you get driven around the circus floor in special wagons and have the best seats in the house.

We had attended in 2004 and it was an incredible, 3 ring, Greatest Show on Earth. The kids were amazed, the clowns were phenomenal. We saw Bello, a clown acrobat, who was funny, dynamic and had an awesome sense of balance. He was absent last year, but it is my understanding he is back this year.

If you are considering buying tickets, check to make sure that they've gone back to their old format. Don't waste your money on the new one.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM

206 posts, read 287,464 times
I work on Stewart Avenue in GC - the coaches are here right now, but I don't see any animals. Does anyone know how and when they are transported to the Coliseum?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 5,461,256 times
From what I hear there are not alot of animals anymore. And the animals they do have can be transported in little travel trailors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I work on Stewart Avenue in GC - the coaches are here right now, but I don't see any animals. Does anyone know how and when they are transported to the Coliseum?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:56 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,270,735 times
Here are some pics. My wife and kids and I were at the Mitchel Field Commissary and saw a rush of people headed toward the Childrens Museum. A lot of luck with timing and a cold day to keep the groceries chilled in the car while we hung out and watched the Elephants pig out.
FYI...anyone with a pass to the L.I. Childrens Museum...I think they have a viewing area and a little get together before the parade...it looked like fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Circus train?-elephant-walk3.jpg   Circus train?-elephant-walk7.jpg  

Old 03-22-2008, 10:12 PM

128 posts, read 1,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
From what I hear there are not alot of animals anymore. And the animals they do have can be transported in little travel trailors.
Wrong train, for animals hit the 1:20 AM
(Sat-Sun) out of Penn Sta on the Port Washinton line.
The North Shore brats bark, dance, do tricks. Best is when the drunk teen girls try to swing from the valise racks and all the Blackberrys, Treos and bodys go flying.
The LIRR staff doesnt even collect tickets sometimes they are to scaired .

Yes....No doubt most on that train should be transported in "locked" padded little travel trailors to the Mineola Hilton.

I remember a conductor telling a woman with an adopted puppy from N Shore Animal League.
"No its ok mam....dogs arent the problem on this train !!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island