Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times

Advertisements

I see that Ringling Bros. Circus is coming in March. Does anyone know how/where/when you can see the circus train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
I'm not sure exactly when it's coming, but it comes into East Garden City on the old Central Railroad tracks, I think it comes as far as Nassau Community College. I know I've seen it before but I can't remember where....off the top of my head I'd say Franklin Avenue, Washington Avenue, Clinton Road maybe? Usually there's an article in the paper about it. I'd like to see it myself!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
I remember they used to leave the railroad cars behind all the industrial buildings on Commericial ave in Garden City....these tracks are located right off Clinton Rd going south towards Hempstead. From Clinton Rd and Commercial Ave to about where the corner of Oak St and Seviroli Foods T-bones Commercial Ave...(Right near the MTA bus depot) was as far as I remember them going but these railroad tracks ran parallel to Commericial Ave behind the buildings. I remember when we were younger, they marched the elephants and stuff down towards the coliseum and traffic was held up as the circus made their way. It was cool. Also, growing up in Floral Park, I remember seeing the Circus train come through the town. It went over one of the over passes. It was cool to see.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
... it comes into East Garden City on the old Central Railroad tracks ...

For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City:

East Garden City is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the south by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Village of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead and the Village of Garden City.

East Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Garden City have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Westbury, NY 11590", "Uniondale, NY 11553" and "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Here are some well-known places that are in the Hamlet of East Garden City:

Cradle of Aviation Museum, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Fortunoff, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Hofstra University Dorms, East Garden City (Hempstead P.O.)
Mall at The Source, East Garden City (Westbury, P.O.)
Nassau County Community College, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum, East Garden City (Uniondale P.O.)
Roosevelt Field, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Great suggestion ! Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish ny children were young again so that I could go, too!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 37,784 times
I usually watch the animals walk from Mitchell Field area to the Coliseum the night before the circus- this year being Tuesday, March 11. I went at about 6:30 pm and there were only a handful of people there-more security that onlookers-my kids enjoyed it!!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM

128 posts, read 234,769 times
There is also the Ringling Bros cast and crew train (Ringling Bros doesnt put them in hotels) When at MSG its docked on the old Worlds Fair spurs at Flushing Meadow.
They have stoves, cooking cars, sleeping cars, lounge cars, TV sat dishes its a city on wheels !!
I was invited to a wrap party one year, it was a hellova party HOLY SMOKES !!
The Port Washington train stops there if a cast or crew needs a lift

Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
See, Roast Beef. This is a great post. I'm giving you a rep for this one !!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
From what Im hearing the Ringling circus is nothing like it used to be. I cannot cooment b/c I havent actually been to see a show in years. But my co-workers were so let down last year that they said they will never go back? They say that there were not many traditional circus animal's? They had dogs doing tricks and even some cats? lol.
Anyone else have a comment on this? Anyone attend it last year? I was really thinking of taking the kids this year?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
From what Im hearing the Ringling circus is nothing like it used to be. I cannot cooment b/c I havent actually been to see a show in years. But my co-workers were so let down last year that they said they will never go back? They say that there were not many traditional circus animal's? They had dogs doing tricks and even some cats? lol.
Anyone else have a comment on this? Anyone attend it last year? I was really thinking of taking the kids this year?
I attended last year and it was an utter disappointment -- not the Greatest Show on Earth at all. They had gotten away from the traditional 3 ring format and instead had a show long 'fantasy' where actors played a family of 4 and each family member lived out a lifelong circus dream; for example mom was a highwire performer, dad was the Ringmaster. There were thearical singing numbers and far fewer animals. In short -- it stunk and even my youngest - 7 at the time -- didn't like it. And yes, there were dog and cat tricks.

There was a new program that they started where if you pay a premium, you get driven around the circus floor in special wagons and have the best seats in the house.

We had attended in 2004 and it was an incredible, 3 ring, Greatest Show on Earth. The kids were amazed, the clowns were phenomenal. We saw Bello, a clown acrobat, who was funny, dynamic and had an awesome sense of balance. He was absent last year, but it is my understanding he is back this year.

If you are considering buying tickets, check to make sure that they've gone back to their old format. Don't waste your money on the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island