Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're incredibly misinformed, NYC's public transit system is the backbone of the rapid gentrification we're seeing. The most affordable areas in NYC tend to be the ones with the worst public transit options.

And what makes you think all bus riders are using food stamps and not cash? That's an incredibly dumb thing to think, even if some of them use EBT, it doesn't mean they're not spending cash.

Another thing, public bus service has existed in Long Island for quite some time, it's not new at all.

You must live in a cave or something thinking "NY keeps sliding further into the sewer", or maybe your knowledge of what NYC is like is stuck in 1981. I bet you couldn't even afford to live in many of the neighborhoods that were once white flighted. Property values in Bushwick are probably way higher than that of somewhere like Levittown.

A lot of Long Islanders don't have cars and need a way to get to work. Also, do you really want hundreds of thousands more people on the road?
You know he's just trolling you, right? Look at his name. Put them together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You know he's just trolling you, right? Look at his name. Put them together...
Wow I didn't put that together lol...BUT I'm not entirely convinced he's just a troll, there are really people on this forum that think like that.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
A lot of Long Islanders don't have cars and need a way to get to work. Also, do you really want hundreds of thousands more people on the road?
Yes, and why don't they have cars? Aside from a few people with disabilities, most are either too poor to afford a car, or can't drive due to serious incidents in their past (multiple DWIs, etc.). NICE is a lousy system with limited routes and takes an awful long time to use - it's not simple and convenient like the subway in NYC and no one is taking it unless they absolutely don't have a choice.

As I said earlier, I really don't care if these people can't get to their lousy, low-paying jobs - the businesses paying so poorly can either raise their wages or shut down. Or maybe they can hire teenagers like they used to instead of creating a demand for a professional underclass of (often illegal) immigrants. We have a high degree of unemployment in this country, I don't want tax money going to subsidize businesses that are profiting through the destruction of our working class with cheap labor.

And the daily ridership of NICE is 95k, not "hundreds of thousands". I'd wager that only a small percentage of those people would switch to a car - if they could, they would have done so already because NICE sucks.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yes, and why don't they have cars? Aside from a few people with disabilities, most are either too poor to afford a car, or can't drive due to serious incidents in their past (multiple DWIs, etc.). NICE is a lousy system with limited routes and takes an awful long time to use - it's not simple and convenient like the subway in NYC and no one is taking it unless they absolutely don't have a choice.

As I said earlier, I really don't care if these people can't get to their lousy, low-paying jobs - the businesses paying so poorly can either raise their wages or shut down. Or maybe they can hire teenagers like they used to instead of creating a demand for a professional underclass of (often illegal) immigrants. We have a high degree of unemployment in this country, I don't want tax money going to subsidize businesses that are profiting through the destruction of our working class with cheap labor.

And the daily ridership of NICE is 95k, not "hundreds of thousands". I'd wager that only a small percentage of those people would switch to a car - if they could, they would have done so already because NICE sucks.
You realize that poor people are the backbone of the lot of the crap you enjoy, right?

Not everyone can be rich or even middle class

Old 09-07-2016, 04:05 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Terego View Post

At least half of the NICE riders are commuting to Queens.
I can honestly say 2/3 to 3/4 of the NICE riders on the N20/N21 are on the reverse commute. The elderly are also commonly seen on the NICE bus.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
You realize that poor people are the backbone of the lot of the crap you enjoy, right?

Not everyone can be rich or even middle class
Yes, and I want to help them by forcing businesses to pay them better and not give their jobs to government-dependent serfs from Mexico.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 AM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I am not anti bus, I don't want to pay $1 more in property taxes. The LIRR is a different animal, the $$ that flows from people commuting to NYC to the LI economy has to be at minimum 20 billion a year. The economic impact the LIRR provides to the region is irreplaceable. The bus system generally carries people to low wage jobs and many of these people don't even live in Nassau county.

We can't abandon the bus, disabled people and to a lesser extent elderly do rely on the bus. There has to be a solution w/o going to the tax payer.
Not quite true. There are tons of people that ride the bus to the subway versus the LIRR to high paying job. As a matter of fact, I do because my office relocated from Wall Street to Roc ctr (F train). Then again my high 6 figure salary may be considered low wage for long island standards. Nevertheless, they do need an overall of the bus service. Start with getting rid of that Elmont Flexi, Great Neck Loop (what the heck is that). Also, a lot of these routes are in place to support many LIJ employees. Like you, I don't want to pay another dime in taxes but we can't eliminate the bus service.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:58 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Not quite true. There are tons of people that ride the bus to the subway versus the LIRR to high paying job. As a matter of fact, I do because my office relocated from Wall Street to Roc ctr (F train). Then again my high 6 figure salary may be considered low wage for long island standards. Nevertheless, they do need an overall of the bus service. Start with getting rid of that Elmont Flexi, Great Neck Loop (what the heck is that). Also, a lot of these routes are in place to support many LIJ employees. Like you, I don't want to pay another dime in taxes but we can't eliminate the bus service.
The Great Neck loop, I imagine, serves Great Neck LIRR commuters. Great Neck LIRR parking is atrocious and I bet a l lot of people rely on the bus to get there.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
The Great Neck loop, I imagine, serves Great Neck LIRR commuters. .
you maybe surprised...not really. Connections are awful. Few people might take the N57/N58. Small minority might take the LIRR connection to the N25 to the NSH/LIJ....but very few. I can say absolutely even less people take the LIRR to N20/N21 connection.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
The rush hour buses are packed with LI commuters taking the bus to Jamaica. They connect with the subways to jobs in Manhattan. So I'm saying not everybody taking a bus is a down and out low wage worker. My father used to take the bus and E train to his advertising office on Madison Avenue. It was just more convenient for him than the LIRR and I've taken the bus frequently myself.

NICE bus is under-funded because the county is flat broke with $3B in debt, and the roads also reflect this cash crisis. LI is bleeding cash thanks to cronyism, corrupt contracting, debt service and pension obligations, and they always pay their people first. NICE bus is an easy target for their funding machete.

So there's your answer, so please no more bus threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island