Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times

Advertisements

I definitely think this is true on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM

29 posts, read 169,501 times
yesssum the north hills , east hills and west hills are generally very nice areas , all north shore areas.. do they have a south hills lol

Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Most communities with "Hills" as part of their name, such as North Hills and East Hills, are villages (municipal corporations) and some, such as Manhasset Hills and West Hills, are hamlets (unincorporated areas).

For the NYS definition of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 20,977 times
Wink Hills in the Name???!!!???

Good Grief! Isn't there anything more interesting to chat about?

Is this going to turn into a discussion about how rich the north shore is and how crappy and low class the south shore is? The south shore is FLAT that's why there are no towns with the word hills in it!

Why not ask the earth shattering question of why no north shore towns don't have the word with Hamptons in them? And by he way, there is way more money and beautiful homes and fancy cars in the Hamptons that the vast, vast, majority of the gorgeous, rich, exclusive, high class, fabulous, blah, blah blah... north shore. And while we are at it - as far as I can tell Syosset, Jericho, Dix Hills, etc.. are not on any water so they ain't "north shore" they are "middle Island".

And yes, I live on the south shore and am on a rant. Can I afford to move to the north shore so people will think that I am high class and rich? Yes!!! Do I choose to live on the south shore in a beautiful community, Yes!!! Why live here? Becuase I commute to the city, it's convienent, it's close to the beach, many family and friends live here, it is beautiful (in parts just like eveywhere else) and I grew up in this town. Thanks for "listening".

Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131Century View Post

Is this going to turn into a discussion about how rich the north shore is and how crappy and low class the south shore is? The south shore is FLAT that's why there are no towns with the word hills in it!

Why not ask the earth shattering question of why no north shore towns don't have the word with Hamptons in them? And by he way, there is way more money and beautiful homes and fancy cars in the Hamptons that the vast, vast, majority of the gorgeous, rich, exclusive, high class, fabulous, blah, blah blah... north shore. And while we are at it - as far as I can tell Syosset, Jericho, Dix Hills, etc.. are not on any water so they ain't "north shore" they are "middle Island".

And yes, I live on the south shore and am on a rant. Can I afford to move to the north shore so people will think that I am high class and rich? Yes!!! Do I choose to live on the south shore in a beautiful community, Yes!!! Why live here? Becuase I commute to the city, it's convienent, it's close to the beach, many family and friends live here, it is beautiful (in parts just like eveywhere else) and I grew up in this town. Thanks for "listening".
Sheesh...I certainly didn't mean to offend. I had no idea there were no South Shore neighborhoods or towns with the name "Hills". And I actually don't think a lot of the neighborhoods with "Hills" in the name are that hilly to begin with...

Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Hollis Hills and Forest Hills are pretty flat in Queens, but nice areas.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131Century View Post

The only "hills" on the south shore, if you can even consider it the south shore, is the Hempstead Hills neighborhood....which is still nicer than most of Hempstead.

Maybe the pedigree of the hills moniker dates back to a simpler time when it was a code word, much like people on here use phrases like "too diverse" now. A "hill" is obviously something that is higher than surrounding areas, so maybe when applied geographically it represents a metaphor for an area where people believe they are "above" their neighbors, since most of them are really pretty flat.

I'm also joking, of course....

Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 AM

438 posts, read 831,948 times
[quote=131Century;2903670]
Is this going to turn into a discussion about how rich the north shore is and how crappy and low class the south shore is? The south shore is FLAT that's why there are no towns with the word hills in it! [quote]

What about Shinnecock Hills? It is on the South Shore, west of Southampton.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Hollis Hills and Forest Hills are pretty flat in Queens, but nice areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy
What about Shinnecock Hills? It is on the South Shore, west of Southampton.
I guess the same could be said of places with Beach in them...

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
guess the same could be said of places with Beach in them...

No, Mastic Beach has "beach" in it.
And, the "bay" towns do not have that panache. Bayshore. Bayport.

(Originally, though. When the names were introduced, these were very pretty summery places. So , I do not think that it is the names that make the places classy, if that is what they are.)

Harbor (often spelled Harbour . That is another Long Island name that I suppose people believe means "class". Roslyn Harbor. Cold Spring Harbor et. al. Port ? Port Jefferson, Port Washington ? I am not sure what makes the difference.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island