Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
What is the percentage of illegal aliens in prison and public schools.
I believe in reform that would require immigrants to pay taxes, but lets be serious. According to a 2014 study commissioned by the State of New York, approximately 1,150 illegal alien children attended public school in Nassau County. There are 315 public schools with approximately 210,000 students in Nassau County. So we are talking on average...

about one half of one percent of the student population. In my school district, that would mean there was roughly 1 illegal student for every 500 households.

Illegal immigration is a serious problem that requires serious reform, but not one in the budgetary context in which you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Unless you move to a place that has like $800-$2000 a year taxes what are you saving? Lets say you move and save $10k a year on taxes. Does that really do anything when you lose 20-30k in salary? When I look into other areas I also see alot of companies dont even give healthcare or want you to pay alot of $ into it.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Unless you move to a place that has like $800-$2000 a year taxes what are you saving? Lets say you move and save $10k a year on taxes. Does that really do anything when you lose 20-30k in salary? When I look into other areas I also see alot of companies dont even give healthcare or want you to pay alot of $ into it.
What do you do that pays you 30K more for living in LI? Is it a difference like a salary of 30 or 60K. or 200 or 230k?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
LI salaries aren't worth sticking around for. They're approximately the same as the national average, while taxes are approx. 5x the national average. Have a look.

Middling ranking for LI in survey of US wage, job growth | Newsday

Other areas people are moving to such as No. Carolina have higher salaries, lower housing costs and far lower taxes. If you have family or a good job in the city, fine, it may be worth staying here. But without that, LI has the bagels, beaches, pizza, blah blah blah. How much are you willing to suffer our thieving taxes for a good slice of regular?

Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
LI salaries aren't worth sticking around for. They're approximately the same as the national average, while taxes are approx. 5x the national average. Have a look.

Middling ranking for LI in survey of US wage, job growth | Newsday

Other areas people are moving to such as No. Carolina have higher salaries, lower housing costs and far lower taxes. If you have family or a good job in the city, fine, it may be worth staying here. But without that, LI has the bagels, beaches, pizza, blah blah blah. How much are you willing to suffer our thieving taxes for a good slice of regular?
I would think majority of Nassau, LI folks work in the city sans LI public service employees.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:53 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I would think majority of Nassau, LI folks work in the city sans LI public service employees.
Wherever they're getting it from, this is what the article said. "First-quarter weekly wages averaged $1,128 in Nassau, $1,060 in Suffolk and $1,043 nationwide."

LI public service employees generally make more than those drawing a salary from the private sector, before benefits.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
I know it depends what field you're in, but for construction design I know I would take pretty big pay cut. And the areas I would move to would still be the burbs of a big city and taxes would be anywhere from 4-6k.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
I'm from LI but live in Tampa and am on LI now interviewing and accounting jobs on LI are basically paying the same as Tampa, FL but the cost of living is at least twice as high here in LI. Now Manhattan is a different story, salaries there can easily be 100%+ higher than Tampa. If you are making Manhattan money then taxes on LI are not a huge issue as you will not make that salary elsewhere but if you are making much lower nassau or suffolk salaries then the taxes are a problem.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
That type of rental isn't the problem. It's when you as the homeowner create an illegal rental space and now there are additional people using services but the amount paid in taxes remains the same.
The OP was posting about taxes on LI according to the title. The body of the first post spoke to prison and illegals. My point was that a home owner will pay the taxes period. If the actual homeowner had 12 kids of his own educated in the school system or one child, there is still no difference in the $$ amount of the taxes, as you stated. Ditto for an illegal. Further, the county or school district does not care if the kids are legal or illegal, as long as they get their tax payment.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
That type of rental isn't the problem. It's when you as the homeowner create an illegal rental space and now there are additional people using services but the amount paid in taxes remains the same.
Agreed, to a large extent.

One could argue, the cost of living on LI runs counter to the resistance to allow legal accessory apartments in owner-occupied homes.

Of the many regions, in the US I've lived, LI is notable for its aversion to renters and insistence that home owners meet their financial obligations without the rental income of an accessory apartment; while, at the same time, knowing such accessory apartments are fairly common.

Note: The major portion of one's property tax is that which supports the school district; a large portion of which pays for teachers' retirement benefits. There are some abusive examples of benefits paid to teachers, police, etc. but, for the most part, such occupations are difficult and/or dangerous and should be well paying.

Also Note: The property tax *rate* on LI is among the lowest in the State. Yes, the $ amount, of property tax paid, is among the highest in the State but that's only because it's comparatively insane to pay more than 3x one's gross income for a home. The fact that so many LIers are willing to do so drives up the cost of all homes and creates an environment in which profit from the eventual sale of the home overrides all other considerations (incl. allowing accessory rental apartments in owner-occupied homes).

Most arguments against allowing legal accessory apartments are based on racial discrimination (which is also notable on LI), for fear of how minorities will impact the future profitability when the home is sold. I find this argument strange given how "white" LI is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island