Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
So nowhere else in the country has Traffic/Transportation Civil Engineers but NYC and Suffolk County?
Nope it's all dirt country roads and everything is down the road a piece. Don't you know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
So nowhere else in the country has Traffic/Transportation Civil Engineers but NYC and Suffolk County?
Other urban areas have them, but in fewer numbers, and they are paid less. Yes, the cost of living is lower elsewhere, but not that much lower. Long Island definitely has the best salary to cost of living ratio for traffic / transportation engineers.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Funny a town near me has a posting for civil engineer right now salary range posted is $60K-$95K. But I know you have other reasons for staying on LI also. Serious question, as you seem worried about your job, is there serious concern that your job might be needed in the near future?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
/\

Heck here's a job with Virginia's Department of Transportation for a Engineer Senior Supervisor Signals hiring range 72-95K https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/58505 in Suffolk no less in fact there are 10 jobs just doing a search for a "Traffic Engineer"

Cost of living is 104% of the national average but Ronkonkoma is 129% so I would say there's quite a difference. But all of this is moot because you will never consider anywhere else regardless of whats presented.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Funny a town near me has a posting for civil engineer right now salary range posted is $60K-$95K.
That's a lot of money to rake dirt....

Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Funny a town near me has a posting for civil engineer right now salary range posted is $60K-$95K. But I know you have other reasons for staying on LI also. Serious question, as you seem worried about your job, is there serious concern that your job might be needed in the near future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Heck here's a job with Virginia's Department of Transportation for a Engineer Senior Supervisor Signals hiring range 72-95K https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/58505 in Suffolk no less in fact there are 10 jobs just doing a search for a "Traffic Engineer"

Cost of living is 104% of the national average but Ronkonkoma is 129% so I would say there's quite a difference. But all of this is moot because you will never consider anywhere else regardless of whats presented.
Give that I have a job on Long Island, why would I want to take a pay cut to relocate when I strongly prefer to stay on Long Island?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:18 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Nope it's all dirt country roads and everything is down the road a piece. Don't you know anything?
Here in Pixely we only have dirt roads. I hear tell they have a paved road down over to Hooterville.

Last edited by Redd Jedd; 12-31-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 04:30 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Give that I have a job on Long Island, why would I want to take a pay cut to relocate when I strongly prefer to stay on Long Island?
Dude, we are only trying to point out that in other areas of the country, where they are expanding their infrastructure, there are jobs available in your field. For years you've posted how special your job is but in truth you could probably get a job with close to the same pay in any of the growing areas across the country with a little research. Indeed.com is your friend.

I also thought I would never move off of LI but then realized I can get everything I had on LI elsewhere at 60% discount for near the same salary with less traffic, less crowded and better weather. Heck, my property taxes are 75% less, leaving me $75K more in my pocket over the last 10 years.

And I doubt you would take much of a pay cut on top of having more money left in your pocket after all expenses are paid. At minimum, you could probably get a good job in the DC as pointed out and reduce your living expenses.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,862 times
Quote:
Dude, we are only trying to point out that in other areas of the country, where they are expanding their infrastructure, there are jobs available in your field. For years you've posted how special your job is but in truth you could probably get a job with close to the same pay in any of the growing areas across the country with a little research. Indeed.com is your friend.

I also thought I would never move off of LI but then realized I can get everything I had on LI elsewhere at 60% discount for near the same salary with less traffic, less crowded and better weather. Heck, my property taxes are 75% less, leaving me $75K more in my pocket over the last 10 years.

And I doubt you would take much of a pay cut on top of having more money left in your pocket after all expenses are paid. At minimum, you could probably get a good job in the DC as pointed out and reduce your living expenses.
what if he likes it here?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Based on what you've posted on City Data the job would be around where you are now but as I said you Cost of living would be @25% less which is quite a difference.

But all of this is moot because you will never consider anywhere else regardless of what's presented
which is fine but you continue to post the negatives of your career choice and your lack of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island