Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 09:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

I don't understand it. I feel like they purposely make it confusing / convoluted. Few people care as a result and only those who have a leg in the race will sway outcomes. We voted a few times in the past and lost by a landslide anyway - another reason people stop caring.

Remember recently when Venditto apparently lost but still remains in office after some recount? I want to know when we can have another shot against him. Mangano is County Executive, and Venditto is at the town level. When I receive a flyer in the mail from NASSAU COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS, who does this vote pertain to, or all of them?

There's a primary election on 9/13 and another on 10/6 for "Republican Primary 3rd Congressional District Only. Does that mean 9/13 is for the Democratic Primary? AND, "note that you may vote only in the primary election for the party in which you are enrolled." Holy hell man, talk about confusing. Does this mean that if we registered __-teen years ago as a Democrat, we can only vote Democrat?

Then there's a once-every-4-year general election, this November. For who exactly? Surely not just for POTUS? Isn't Venditto a lock for another 3(?) years at this point? I can't remember a damn thing from 10th grade Social Studies and I'm not even sure the same applies at the county/town level. Is it just me?

EDIT>> No I'm not talking about the Presidential Election, unless that's all this card is for. In which case, why does the timing not match up - talk to me about our local elections.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-11-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 09:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Clearly you should not be voting.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Clearly you should not be voting.
So people can keep saying we are too lazy to vote? Let us hear from your expertise.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
So people can keep saying we are too lazy to vote? Let us hear from your expertise.
Google is your friend.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:31 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
This year there were three separate Primary elections for the most part, the different dates were depending on the office. There was a fourth date added for the GOP Primary CD-3 (which I will explain below) following a court battle.

The Presidential Primary was on April 19th.

The Congressional/Senate Primary (Federal Offices) was on June 28th.

The Primary for State Offices (Assembly, State Senate, Judges) is this Tuesday September 13th.

The 3rd Congressional District Republican Primary is on October 6th. This was originally scheduled for June 28th, however Jack Martins challenged the signatures of Phillip Pidot and had him thrown off the GOP Primary ballot. After several back and forth court fights it was determined that Pidot had enough signatures and should be on the GOP Primary ballot, however since this was so close to the actual Primary there wasn't enough time to get him on the ballot and the Primary was moved to early October. The Democratic Primary for the district was held as scheduled in June and won by Suozzi. Martins has also since tried to argue to move the actual General Election for the district from Election Day in November to early December claiming the Primary Date is too close to the General Election, but he has so far lost that challenge. Although he hasn't said it Martins also likely tried to had it moved to December thinking he would have a better chance in a lower turnout election in December than the higher turnout race that would come along with having it on Election Day in a Presidential year especially in a generally Democratic leaning district that probably will not be that strong for Trump at the top of the ticket.

Neither Venditto or Mangano are up for election this year. This is primarily for Federal offices and some state offices, not so much local/ county level offices. The Nassau CE is a four year term and Mangano is up next in 2017, TOB Supervisor is a two-year term and Venditto is also up again in 2017.

As far as voting in any Primaries, whatever party you are registered with is the only Primary you can vote in.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:40 AM

^ appreciate it. What a fustercluck. Are we voting in November '17 for Venditto's seat? Or is that a different month? I'm not sure how many people even knew or cared to find out. I certainly didn't know about it in 2015 because of everyone else running for everything else. An election in an odd number year no less.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ appreciate it. What a fustercluck. Are we voting in November '17 for Venditto's seat? Or is that a different month? I'm not sure how many people even knew or cared to find out. I certainly didn't know about it in 2015 because of everyone else running for everything else. An election in an odd number year no less.

TOB Supervisor is a two-year term and Venditto is also up again in 2017. As was answered by SMASH255

Presidential (Federal) elections are only in even years. This includes President, VP and Congress.

The House of Representative are elected to two year terms.
The US Senate to six year terms.

So based upon your above statement, you must have slept through this class. It used to be called civics, but that is so older than dirt now.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: