Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Why is GN South so lopsided even compared with GNNorth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:02 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Why is GN South so lopsided even compared with GNNorth?
Look to size (v GNN) and ethnic breakdown (v GNN) Don't assume they are similar.

That difference may contribute to my quote:

"IMHO Where you see a larger mass of very intelligent, very hard working and very competitive kids (with supportive parents) you are going to see larger numbers of semi-finalists."

Old 09-17-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
That difference may contribute to my quote:

"IMHO Where you see a larger mass of very intelligent, very hard working and very competitive kids (with supportive parents) you are going to see larger numbers of semi-finalists."
Aside from ethnic profile, how does this make GN South significantly exceptuonal from Garden City, GN North, Manhasset, Rockville, Roslyn etc.? People in these forums have been arguing for years about how differences in SDs are only subtle but GN South appears to have smashed this logic to bits.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 PM

[quote=Forest_Hills_Daddy;45514067]Aside from ethnic profile, how does this make GN South significantly exceptuonal from Garden City, GN North, Manhasset, Rockville, Roslyn etc.? People in these forums have been arguing for years about how differences in SDs are only subtle but GN South appears to have smashed this logic to bits.[/QUOTE

The differences in the ethnic and cultural makeup of school districts, which may or may not be a decisive factor in this narrow category (PSAT derived--national merit semi finalists), have never been described as subtle.

It is true that the school district is the least significant leg of the 3-legged triangle (student-parent-school) determining NMSF success.

I wouldn't conflate the two.

FYI. GNS and GC are rated identically on US News. 19th and 18th place in NYS respectively. On this narrow data point (NMSF) they are wildly dissimilar this year. 21 versus 1. You might, again, research racial/ethic stats on both districts for possible explanations. And note size differences too. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 09-17-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM

What were the results for the South Shore schools?

Old 09-18-2016, 03:20 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,252 times
Some districts and some parents may push kids to take the test. Some may push their kids not to take the test. It's not a mandatory test. More test takers should equal more winners. The PSAT is one of the least important tests I can think of... I actually think I may have been a semifinalist way back when, but I don't remember for sure. Shows you how meaningful it was to my parents and me.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM

It's not just for bragging rights. There's scholarship money awarded for finalists. And a semifinalist is bound to get financial aid feelers from colleges. That's why 1.5 million kids a year take the exam. If kids are serious and ambitious about college, the PSAT is one of the most important and meaningful tests for them. But then there will be those who would tell themselves that they really could have done well if they "chose" to take the PSAT but in their minds it was the least important and meaningful test.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Some districts and some parents may push kids to take the test. Some may push their kids not to take the test. It's not a mandatory test. More test takers should equal more winners. The PSAT is one of the least important tests I can think of... I actually think I may have been a semifinalist way back when, but I don't remember for sure. Shows you how meaningful it was to my parents and me.
Our district recommended students take the test given the opportunity to be a semifinalist moving on to the finals. Having more students take the PSAT (in states which have traditionally been strong performers) will bump up the cut score as only a prescribed number of students can be selected.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
The Surprising Power of the PSAT | Huffington Post

PSAT/NMSQT is not to be trifled with if a student is considering pursuing a higher education.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
This is false. Essentially all students here take the PSAT while only those seriously considering college take the SAT. As a matter of fact, the default administration for the PSAT here on Long Island is now during the school day (during school). Your information is false AND out of date AND you are guessing.

It is, in many ways, more significant than the SAT for those considering college. NMSF status is a significant credential for college applicants in the more selective colleges and there is also some scholarship money that may be earned by Finalists.

For more on this topic, see this link:http://college.usatoday.com/2013/11/...-scholarships/ Also, the Huff Post article linked by OHBEEHAVE, above, nails it too.

(Sometimes, very rarely on citi data, a poster writes , "I was wrong". Lets see if this is one of those times)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 09-18-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island