Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,490,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Too lazy to enforce that...it's too much work for them
Didn't you just say your so called NCPD friend works hard and you don't hate him for that?

Which is it?

Are they too lazy or do they work hard?

Me thinks you are a little jealous.

I have to admit i'm a little jealous of my Union Elevator repairman buddy who cleared $275,000 last year. But I'll never say he's too lazy or didn't work hard.

We all make choices in life....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:06 AM

8,633 posts, read 11,003,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Didn't you just say your so called NCPD friend works hard and you don't hate him for that?

Which is it?

Are they too lazy or do they work hard?

Me thinks you are a little jealous.

I have to admit i'm a little jealous of my Union Elevator repairman buddy who cleared $275,000 last year. But I'll never say he's too lazy or didn't work hard.

We all make choices in life....
No, I blame the county execs for letting this out of control. Working hard is relative. I would assume its more difficult to work in a crack house in Brownsville than say even the worst areas of Roosevelt for similar salary.

If you ever serve a full 30 days in grand jury, you will see 90-95% of cases are all traffic stops and DWI/DUI.

Edit: to answer your question about jealous. I wouldn't use the word jealous. When I see the exorbitant salaries of various public sector jobs, my eyes sort of pop out. A bit of a shocker compared to the salary of President of US ($400k) or governor of NYS ($180k). Its obvious where our taxes are going. Perhaps more people should aim to go to the cheapest 4 yr college & all aspire to punch tickets on the LIRR to crank out 200k a year. Personally, I went thru a hard route education wise....doing very well in school and landing a great career. I wouldn't trade it for any other career.

Last edited by sirtiger; 09-30-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM

93 posts, read 138,789 times
Long Island needs help in the overcrowded highways and roads; Ed Mangano would be a hero in coming up with a plan in aiding that territory, even though it may be the governor’s teritory. The island’s population has tremendously grown at an enormous rate of speed, the highways and roads has not been adjusted to accommodate the growth. The long island expressway and parkways turn into oversized parking lots; forget about when it rains or snows. Instead of raising fines for police overtime; why not look for ways to help in opening the roads to the overcrowding of long island?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:30 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,971,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
What would be a reasonable salary on LI? Also remember civil servants take years to get to anywhere near a livable wage on LI....including cops.

Education
Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma recognized by the New York State Department of Education, by the date of appointment. (No college required for appointment)

SALARY
Starting salary $42,000* annually, increasing incrementally to $111,506 after twelve (12) years of service.
*Under 2012 labor agreement

BENEFITS
Full salary and benefits during entire training period.

Night shift payments.

All uniforms and equipment are supplied by the Department.

Yearly uniform cleaning allotment

Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.

Thirteen (13) paid holidays.

Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service

Thirteen (13) sick days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service; Unused sick days are cumulative
Three (3) paid personal days first year of service, increasing to five (5) days after three (3) years of service.

*Pension plan. Members are eligible for retirement after twenty (20) years of service at 50% of five (5) year final average salary. Vested retirement plan after ten (10) years.

That's new hires. All the guys subject to previous labor agreements rose higher, faster. A Suffolk cop 5 years in who works minimal overtime is making $150K with free medical and free pension, so real compensation is much higher, like $60K a year higher.

Your argument is ridiculous. Basically nowhere in this country you can have that kind of guaranteed compensation with a high school diploma. Period. We pay too much for policing, you could get the same candidates for 75% of that top compensation level when you factor all the benefits and overtime available.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,214,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

That's new hires. All the guys subject to previous labor agreements rose higher, faster. A Suffolk cop 5 years in who works minimal overtime is making $150K with free medical and free pension, so real compensation is much higher, like $60K a year higher.

Your argument is ridiculous. Basically nowhere in this country you can have that kind of guaranteed compensation with a high school diploma. Period. We pay too much for policing, you could get the same candidates for 75% of that top compensation level when you factor all the benefits and overtime available.
While there are quite few PO's making $150K a year, they're not doing it with minimal OT at all. They're working a LOT to be hitting the $150 mark. A friend has 18 years on, works a bunch of OT and is right around $125K. Another, with 15 years on makes $130K. He's a Sgt. Good salaries? For sure. But your figure is inflated.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:22 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,971,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
While there are quite few PO's making $150K a year, they're not doing it with minimal OT at all. They're working a LOT to be hitting the $150 mark. A friend has 18 years on, works a bunch of OT and is right around $125K. Another, with 15 years on makes $130K. He's a Sgt. Good salaries? For sure. But your figure is inflated.
Nope. I know a guy ten years in making over 150k per see through NY who is off at least 2 days every week, so if you mean "working a lot" meaning not taking the customary 3 off you get ever other week, I wouldn't call that working "a lot". There base salary is based on working almost a few days as teachers do. If you look at all the vacation time they get and their schedules, they are not required to work anything close to what someone in private industry works.

So, since most work more than that, and a lot of that overtime is at inflated rates if it's on holidays and such, $150k is very easy for people hired before 2012. Sheriffs I know are making over $125K and their base is much lower.

The idea that you can charge someone $300 for a headlight infraction to fund these kinds of a salaries is disturbing.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 AM

57 posts, read 51,353 times
Default there is a website that identifies by person

NYS employees salaries as well as pensions.
Seethroughny.net.

Also we would be better off if we did NOT include OT in the calculation of pensions. OT is OT.

Nassau County worker just told me that she pays nothing toward her health insurance. Come on isn't that absurd.

Private industry defined contribution pension plans should be implemented ASAP.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
No, I blame the county execs for letting this out of control. Working hard is relative. I would assume its more difficult to work in a crack house in Brownsville than say even the worst areas of Roosevelt for similar salary. .
Its difficult to work anywhere....most cops being killed are in rural areas of the country on solo patrols.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If you ever serve a full 30 days in grand jury, you will see 90-95% of cases are all traffic stops and DWI/DUI.
Not really, they are a higher % that go to trial because they don't make deals on DWI. Other offenses are usually pled down or worked out without going to trial.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Edit: to answer your question about jealous. I wouldn't use the word jealous. When I see the exorbitant salaries of various public sector jobs, my eyes sort of pop out. A bit of a shocker compared to the salary of President of US ($400k) or governor of NYS ($180k). Its obvious where our taxes are going. Perhaps more people should aim to go to the cheapest 4 yr college & all aspire to punch tickets on the LIRR to crank out 200k a year. Personally, I went thru a hard route education wise....doing very well in school and landing a great career. I wouldn't trade it for any other career.
My eyes pop out when I see what Pro athletes and LI school supers make as well.

Again new all made choices in life.....or took certain risks. Others did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island