Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:02 AM

8 posts, read 22,316 times

Advertisements

It seems the search feature is down at the moment and I can't search to see if others have asked.

I recently purchased a home and the cesspool needs to be aerated because it isn't draining well at all. My dad was telling me pumping, aeration and chemicals used to cost around $400-500 but recently I've been seeing ads in Newsday and on trucks advertising prices of around 200. Is this a catch and bait? Does anyone have any experience with companies in suffolk that offer good greats and do a good job?

I don't want to be pumping every few years so I want to treat the cesspool well now in the hopes that I won't need to pump for a long while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Where about in Suffolk?

Old 09-25-2016, 05:34 PM

In the town of Smithtown

Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 PM

5,463 posts, read 7,041,402 times
They will charge you more if they have to locate where the cesspools are.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammtech View Post
In the town of Smithtown
AAA Cesspool in Smithtown (631)265-3410
This is who I use for my home as well as client's. Their pricing is very fair.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,303,219 times
Just checking: "cesspool" isn't the same as "septic system" and, yet, people do seem to use the terms interchangeably sometimes.

A cesspool is usually a precast concrete tank of perforated sides. What many people refer to as "aeration" is really just having a power washer wand inserted into the cesspool to blast sludge that is clogging the perforations above the actual sludge level.

Tubing is inserted into the cesspool, is attached to the inlet of a pump, and tubing attached to the pump's outlet to a power washing wand.

I've also seen water pressure supplied by the tank truck; which gives the operator the opportunity to empty some of the truck's contents into the homeowner's cesspool.

Aeration, in the truest sense, is the process of continuously adding air for aerobic water treatment. I don't know of anyone on LI that has this type of system. There is an aeration pump attached to the system.

A septic system has a tank (no perforations) that is connected to either perforated leach tanks or perforated pipes throughout a leach field. I don't have personal experience with leach fields and I've never known of a homeowner needing maintenance of a septic system with leach tanks.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:22 AM

Thanks you for your explanation James. I opened the tio of the tank with my father as the first tank is over my driveway. I believe it was a cess pool with the perforated sides. The airation I'm talking about is blasting in the sides and base to break up build up because it hasn't been draining well.

No one has loved in the home for about 2 months and yet the water level is still about 2/3 high.

There is a second overflow tank but I don't have access to this tank in the way I have access to the first tank.

OhBeeHave: I've seen them discussed here before, do you know what their rates are approximately?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks you for your explanation James. I opened the tio of the tank with my father as the first tank is over my driveway. I believe it was a cess pool with the perforated sides. The airation I'm talking about is blasting in the sides and base to break up build up because it hasn't been draining well.

No one has loved in the home for about 2 months and yet the water level is still about 2/3 high.

There is a second overflow tank but I don't have access to this tank in the way I have access to the first tank.

OhBeeHave: I've seen them discussed here before, do you know what their rates are approximately?
Depends on how much needs to be pumped. I've gotten by for a few hundred with aeration. It's been 3 years, so things might have increased. I have an old brick pool and an overflow. I usually have the overflow pumped and allow the solids to hold the brick pool up. I had to have the brick pool pumped once after 17 years. That was more as it was more involved -- it backed into a fairly new line and became impacted. That was closer to $500. The serviceman was here for a while until he got everything all cleared out safely and the blocked line flowing.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,303,219 times
Quote:

We used to have what you describe. Using a power washer thingy we got the water level to drop about 33% after just a few minutes of blasting crud off the sides of the cesspool tank.

We discovered it was filling quickly, in part, because the faulty flapper in the basement toilet was causing the sump pump to engage frequently.

Also, the outdoor hot tub was connected to the cesspool; not a dry well...the point is, look at what is being drained into the cesspool. I've even seen homes with roof gutter leaders headed right to where the cesspool is...really dumb to saturate the yard like that.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
We used to have what you describe. Using a power washer thingy we got the water level to drop about 33% after just a few minutes of blasting crud off the sides of the cesspool tank.

We discovered it was filling quickly, in part, because the faulty flapper in the basement toilet was causing the sump pump to engage frequently.

Also, the outdoor hot tub was connected to the cesspool; not a dry well...the point is, look at what is being drained into the cesspool. I've even seen homes with roof gutter leaders headed right to where the cesspool is...really dumb to saturate the yard like that.
Thanks for the advice I'll have a look this upcoming weekend. I don't have a power washer but I was thinking of just making a long hose using some piping and using the home water pressure to try and break up the bottom crud. Only my cesspool is accessible without digging up my yard, the overflow liquid pool doesn't have a surface opening until you dig down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island