Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Soooo are you suggesting they also advertise in Chinese for our significant Asian population as well ?
A few years ago an innocent man was shot by an officer in Huntington because he did not understand the police officer's commands to put his hands up. Perhaps the SCPD should require their officers to be fluent in Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, German, and Arabic and ask a potential offender his/her language of choice first ?
What about street signs ? Should they be available in twenty languages as well ?? Our taxes are high enough around here.
What?? Cops have no problem killing anyone, don't bring language into it. There is plenty of Asian advertising, if you haven't noticed. What do taxes have to do with a corporations right to advertise as they wish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
What?? Cops have no problem killing anyone, don't bring language into it. There is plenty of Asian advertising, if you haven't noticed. What do taxes have to do with a corporations right to advertise as they wish?
Don't bring language into it ? that's what this post is all about!
where have you heard advertising in Chinese (outside of Flushing) ?
I'm speaking of the fact that our taxes will rise to support the increased cost of providing infrastructure to support all of this (new highway signs, more $$ to hire people who are fluent in Swahili in the school guidance office, etc.)
And yes when you have to "press 47 for Faroese" when calling a corporation, the costs for all of that support are passed on the the consumer .

Old 10-08-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Don't bring language into it ? that's what this post is all about!
where have you heard advertising in Chinese (outside of Flushing) ?
I'm speaking of the fact that our taxes will rise to support the increased cost of providing infrastructure to support all of this (new highway signs, more $$ to hire people who are fluent in Swahili, etc.)
And yes when you have to "press 47 for Faroese" when calling a corporation, the costs for all of that support is passed on the the consumer .
So Target advertising in Spanish means there will be traffic signals in Spanish? Ok then!! Keep spreading the fear!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
So Target advertising in Spanish means there will be traffic signals in Spanish? Ok then!! Keep spreading the fear!
time will tell . If someone told you twenty years ago that a major retailer would be advertising in Spanish only, you would probably look at them as if they had two heads.
If you ever drive on our parkways, notice that every two weeks a tractor trailer will hit an overpass and spill its contents all over the road.
Why ? the driver did not understand the sign "no trucks" .
It ain't fear, just practicality.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 10-08-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
time will tell . If someone told you twenty years ago that a major retailer would be advertising in Spanish only, you would probably look at them as if they had two heads.
If you ever drive on our parkways, notice that every two weeks a tractor trailer will hit an overpass and spill its contents all over the road.
Why ? the driver did not understand the sign "no trucks" .
It ain't fear, just practicality.
20 years ago I would drive a big box truck for my employer. When I'd go to dunkin donuts to pick up a day laborer, the entire truck would be surrounded as if I was about to be assaulted by a mob. Thankfully, that practice isn't common anymore but, as clear as day I knew ( there was advertising in Spanish then too) that Spanish was going to be a language that was very useful in the future. Rosetta Stone knew it was going to be used as well. Perhaps you don't remember those days.

Last edited by long isle; 10-08-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
many were starving, but they learned the freakin' language and asked for nothing.
Um the language part is definitely not true

I think some right wing white Americans assume that their immigrant ancestors must have been perfect because they're white

Old 10-08-2016, 05:59 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I work at Subway and a lot of Hispanics come into the store and the first thing they ask is " do you speak Spanish"? I tell them no, even though I know a handful of food words. They act surprised. All of a sudden they speak English! Not great but I understand what they want.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Um the language part is definitely not true

I think some right wing white Americans assume that their immigrant ancestors must have been perfect because they're white
It's not that. These posters aren't familiar with the term fossilized. If they knew how hard it is for some people to learn English, or cared, they would have a bit of compassion.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
It's not that. These posters aren't familiar with the term fossilized. If they knew how hard it is for some people to learn English, or cared, they would have a bit of compassion.
hopefully one day you are not in the back of an ambulance being cared for by people who do not understand what you're saying to them. If that does happen, you may quickly become a fossil.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
hopefully one day you are not in the back of an ambulance being cared for by people who do not understand what you're saying to them. If that does happen, you may quickly become a fossil.
Scary!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island