Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Incorrect. IF you have previously registered then you don't need to show and id, if you are a new voter, you will be asked for it in NY, that has not changed. The voter registration laws have not changed. The date of residency does change as election day changes, i.e. 30 days prior, however, no one who is entitled to vote is excluded provided they are legally registered. Sorry, no debate on this one. The laws are essentially the same nation wide with a few tweaks by state. Further to your point, in NC and SC certain counties extended the registration dates due to Hurricane Matthew, so all who were registered could vote. IF one really wants to participate all they need to do is register. If the folks you quoted above are not legally registered then they do not have the right to vote.
My mistake on NY, but requirements in other states were not quite the same.

NC had previously accepted several alternate forms of ID, the day after the supreme court struck down section 4 they changed their registration laws allowing only Drivers Licenses and other ID's not possessed by a segment of their minority population. That was not a tweak and was done to intentionally exclude a segment of voters.

The laws are not the same nationwide.

Supreme court ruling on NC:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...acarolina.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:40 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Not politics, but practicality: I can't IMAGINE the long lines and delays at the poll if they checked all ID's. Some inner city polling stations already have multi-hours wait just to vote (I used to vote near Coney Island, total madhouse every election). Voter turnout will drop even further from already dismal numbers, and not just the ones some entities want to vote/not vote, but the ones who should be voting but can't spend hours waiting on line to do it. Make it a holiday or vote on a weekend.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As one who lives in a southern state if they are excluded it would only be by their choice or laziness. There are multiple sources for those on the economic fringe to get a picture ID free and if they receive any kind of social assistance they would be required to have one anyway. Just because they choose not to be involved doesn't mean we have to lower the bar, what next have pollsters go door to door so your not inconvenienced going to a polling place to vote?

Well the NC legislature didn't bring the laziness defense up in defense of their legislation. LOL

They even went so far as to seek data relative to how many black college students used ID's from their university, now why would that be

Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
^^^I will try just once more as I did make a dent with NYS. The point that you seem to be missing repeatedly, is that you need some methodology of proving you are, who you present yourself to be EITHER, when you register to vote OR at the polling place itself.

If, they can't prove who they are, they can't vote. Here are the NC regs currently.

https://www.google.com/#q=nc+voting+laws

Since you respond to comments, can you answer this for me, so perhaps, I can understand your point of view. Why would you want a person, who may not be entitled to vote, to vote? Why is it asking too much to simply prove you are who you say you are? IF you can prove that via some form of ID, you can register. I don't get why that is so hard.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 10-17-2016 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As one who lives in a southern state if they are excluded it would only be by their choice or laziness. There are multiple sources for those on the economic fringe to get a picture ID free and if they receive any kind of social assistance they would be required to have one anyway. Just because they choose not to be involved doesn't mean we have to lower the bar, what next have pollsters go door to door so your not inconvenienced going to a polling place to vote?
We are from NY but moved to Florida. Florida does require ID. You have to show ID every time you renew your Driver's License also. Can be very annoying for a married women having to bring both Birth Certificate and Marriage License, so I use my Passport as ID.

However, I only vote by mail and never at the polls since I like going back to LI the end of October to November. You sign the outside of the envelop and it is matched to your signature on file. Very much like they did/do(?) in NY with those books with your signatures at the polls.

My daughters and grandkids still live on LI. One daughter has a childhood friend who lives in Suffolk and is a Trump supporter. Daughters and their spouses are former Sanders supporters and now for Hillary. Her friend was constantly badgering us about Hillary, bla, bla, bla. After the news broke about Trump's sexual escapades, all he said was "Hillary will win in a landslide", and has not said anything more the election. Is he still voting for Trump? Don't know. BTW, he is a HS Public School Teacher of Government and Politics. He MUST be hearing a lot from his students, some who are old enough to actually vote.

Trump is going to get crushed in his own hometown in the City. LI might split. I did see one projected poll for NYS which gave Hillary 100% odds of winning NYS.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Not politics, but practicality: I can't IMAGINE the long lines and delays at the poll if they checked all ID's. Some inner city polling stations already have multi-hours wait just to vote (I used to vote near Coney Island, total madhouse every election). Voter turnout will drop even further from already dismal numbers, and not just the ones some entities want to vote/not vote, but the ones who should be voting but can't spend hours waiting on line to do it. Make it a holiday or vote on a weekend.
I voted in FL for years (in a major city district) which has an ID requirement. It takes 2 seconds.

Last edited by peconic117; 10-17-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We are from NY but moved to Florida. Florida does require ID. You have to show ID every time you renew your Driver's License also. Can be very annoying for a married women having to bring both Birth Certificate and Marriage License, so I use my Passport as ID.

However, I only vote by mail and never at the polls since I like going back to LI the end of October to November. You sign the outside of the envelop and it is matched to your signature on file. Very much like they did/do(?) in NY with those books with your signatures at the polls.

My daughters and grandkids still live on LI. One daughter has a childhood friend who lives in Suffolk and is a Trump supporter. Daughters and their spouses are former Sanders supporters and now for Hillary. Her friend was constantly badgering us about Hillary, bla, bla, bla. After the news broke about Trump's sexual escapades, all he said was "Hillary will win in a landslide", and has not said anything more the election. Is he still voting for Trump? Don't know. BTW, he is a HS Public School Teacher of Government and Politics. He MUST be hearing a lot from his students, some who are old enough to actually vote.

Trump is going to get crushed in his own hometown in the City. LI might split. I did see one projected poll for NYS which gave Hillary 100% odds of winning NYS.
The best thing that has come out of this election cycle is the numbers of people who have become involved/re-involved with the process. Regardless of their reason for being engaged or who they support just the fact they are participating is the real win. My only goal is I would like to see respect returned to the Office of the President, you don't have to like who's in it but the office deserves the respect. It seems to have been lacking for the past 16+ years.....

Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I voted in FL for years (in a major city district) which has an ID requirement. It takes 2 seconds.
My experience is of just the opposite. Some of the elder volunteers have a hard enough time finding a name in the book, let alone checking ID's. Maybe we could get local bar bouncers to man the polls. They are pros at checking IDs.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
^^^I will try just once more as I did make a dent with NYS. The point that you seem to be missing repeatedly, is that you need some methodology of proving you are, who you present yourself to be EITHER, when you register to vote OR at the polling place itself.

If, they can't prove who they are, they can't vote. Here are the NC regs currently.

https://www.google.com/#q=nc+voting+laws

Since you respond to comments, can you answer this for me, so perhaps, I can understand your point of view. Why would you want a person, who may not be entitled to vote, to vote? Why is it asking too much to simply prove you are who you say you are? IF you can prove that via some form of ID, you can register. I don't get why that is so hard.
I am not against someone proving they are valid voters, what may work in NY State is not a solution in others. You indicated all states are the same, that is not true at all, geography, voter requirements, demographics and access to DMV's vary.

North Carolina did have a method for proving who they were, read through the part of judges decision and let me know your opinion, it's 89 pages but you can get the idea a after a few pages.

Simple question, do you think their intent was to reduce fraud or eliminate a demographic.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They earned their pensions, will yes those in the current tiers but not much prior to those changes
The police don't even donate to their pensions yet your criticizing freebies for low income. LOL.
Its not a freebie if you worked for it. Union janitors get a pension too......why didn't you sign up?

Boo Hooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island