Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 PM

204 posts, read 296,807 times

Advertisements

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” - Socrates.

Get over it. Nothing has changed, old people always think young people will ruin the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,409,829 times
But sadly it's the old people (Congress) that is ruining the country.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple juice View Post
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” - Socrates.

Get over it. Nothing has changed, old people always think young people will ruin the world.
I can assure you that while "old" I am not archaic and will never let go of the things that make life better.
Please, thank you, May I help you? Goals in life, being a good citizen, etc. will never go out of style.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:30 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Family values to me would be:

Sit down family dinner every night (no one does this anymore because of schedules)

Movie night with the family at home or out

Actually talking with family instead of texting or having your face stuck to an I-pad/I-phone

As a kid we always sat down for dinner with my mom and dad. There was no such thing as eating dinner in front of the TV

We did not have the technology we have today. Kids actually played outside. I don't see that at all where I live. The kids are either texting/internet surfing or playing video games. When we were kids if we had to go visit a relative or friend for a gathering there was no negotiating. You went whether you liked it or not. Today if kids don't want to do something they simply say no and get away with it.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:34 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

Sit down family dinner every night (no one does this anymore because of schedules)

Actually talking with family instead of texting or having your face stuck to an I-pad/I-phone

As a kid we always sat down for dinner with my mom and dad. There was no such thing as eating dinner in front of the TV

We did not have the technology we have today. Kids actually played outside. I don't see that at all where I live. The kids are either texting/internet surfing or playing video games. When we were kids if we had to go visit a relative or friend for a gathering there was no negotiating. You went whether you liked it or not. Today if kids don't want to do something they simply say no and get away with it.
We are sisters of different mother's and dad's but definitely sisters.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,409,829 times
Seriously though Lubby......do you want to sit down and watch anything from Hollywood, let alone with your children?

Not me, though we haven't been to the movies since Forrest Gump and the only tv show I've watched in last 15 yrs is 'Turn' on AMC.

I'm 56, watch sports and all I see are hard on ads every commercial break. I can only imagine some dad explaining to his son...or daughter what a 4 hr erection is.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM

428 posts, read 969,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
mom and dad visit the Caribbean 4x/year without taking the children, leave the kids with the grandparents every other weekend to "get away"
mom and dad complain to the school that Kaighleighee's teacher "failed her in math"
etc. etc.

JMO
This is kind of true. My DD is 2 and I take her everywhere. We get alone time when we can, but as a family, we are a family and we go together.

I want my daughter to spend time and know her grandparents. But we are the parents, and we raise her.

This way, she might want to slightly spend time with me in her teens in the hate phase. If you don't invest in your kids, I don't see how they could know to invest back when they're more independent.

But WE are different. We value the real family values of spending time together, spend days off together, sit outside together and in the living room together, go places as a family, etc. I also value extended family and making it very important to spend holidays and do things together with grandparents, aunts, cousins.But that's just me. Everyone seems more on their own and my peers don't seem to make so much of an effort.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:19 PM

428 posts, read 969,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

Family values are not gone because internet is here. It's the new reality. If anyone choose for a relationship to go dead because we have the internet, that's lack of effort. That doesn't mean there are no family values.

Family dinners can also be sitting all together eating in front of the TV. You can talk about your days and enjoy your dinner just the same. It doesn't matter that the TV is on.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:31 PM

204 posts, read 296,807 times
Kids these days! ! (Shakes fist in air )

Old 10-11-2016, 03:21 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
I don't think eating dinner with the TV on is a new thing. It's just that it used to be done on tray tables in the living room eating out of an aluminum pan with food from Swanson's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: