Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Not surprised either. And I bet those rentals all say 1 person only. No kids,pets,programs like all the others that are priced that low. Most low priced rentals that seem too good to be true are more than likely scams.Especially the "rooms" for rent ones. And I know you are a realtor here. But aren't realtors not allowed to take on illegal rentals? From what I know they risk losing their license if caught.
Doing rentals has become an increasingly difficult and often thankless part of the business. More and more regulations, less and less legal inventory (and you are correct, I do not work with illegal rentals) and prospective tenants who want to work with multiple agents--only one of which (if any) will ultimately get paid for the effort!

Fair Housing has three tiers on Long Island: Federal guidelines, State guidelines, and County guidelines.
For example, in Suffolk County you can no longer state "no programs accepted" because "Source of Income" is a protected class. We cannot ask: Do you have a job? We can ask for proof that the prospective tenant has the ability to pay, but where the money is coming from (as long as it's legal ) cannot be a determinant in accepting or rejecting an applicant.

And that's only one of the many restrictions we face when qualifying applicants. It does not even take into consideration the "special requests" from landlords as to whom they do or do not want as tenants... No wonder fewer and fewer good agents want to be bothered; it's potentially a lot of aggravation for little or no $$ when all is said and done.

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 10-19-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Doing rentals has become an increasingly difficult and often thankless part of the business. More and more regulations, less and less legal inventory (and you are correct, I do not work with illegal rentals) and prospective tenants who want to work with multiple agents--only one of which (if any) will ultimately get paid for the effort!

Fair Housing has three tiers on Long Island: Federal guidelines, State guidelines, and County guidelines.
For example, in Suffolk County you can no longer state "no programs accepted" because "Source of Income" is a protected class. We cannot ask: Do you have a job? We can ask for proof that the prospective tenant has the ability to pay, but where the money is coming from (as long as it's legal ) cannot be a determinant in accepting or rejecting an applicant.

And that's only one of the many restrictions we face when qualifying applicants. It does not even take into consideration the "special requests" from landlords as to whom they do or do not want as tenants... No wonder fewer and fewer good agents don't want to be bothered; it's potentially a lot of aggravation for little or no $$ when all is said and done.
LOL..I get the 'Special Requests" part very well! And yeah rentals for realtors do not pay that much. BUt the renters that have to pay that customary 1 month rent fee to realtor feel it is TOO high a fee. In other parts of the country the LL pays the fee. Not the tenants. So different here on LI. But yes..you kind of do have a fiduciary responsibility in a sense to the LL that hires you to rent their apt. But the way rental housing is on LI it is really hard for renters to find a decent place here anymore.

Landlords all say these things to you probably for the most part. Do NOT bring any tenants that are on any programs. None that have any kids or pets. And make sure anyone you even think to bring to look at my rental has perfect credit & impeccable background checks. Then they even try things like. Oh we only want 1 person too. I mean really. I have seen where LL's ask 1600 month for a crappy small rental & then say 1 person only! I have also seen where they have 2 BR's to rent for like $2000 month. And then they say NO kids allowed. I mean really this is crazy!

But in any case from what I know LL's that have 3 or less units on a property are EXEMPT from the laws people keep quoting about in terms of the LL being able to deny "certain" tenants. Like the people on programs. People that have kids. And even that tricky thing some tenants try to do to be able to say the LL HAS to by law take a pet....they make their pet a "service" or "emotional" support animal.

I know if I were a realtor & needed to make a living I would prefer sales ONLY. More commision & pay with that. More work....yes. But rentals on LI can be very hard the way things are here. And MUCH harder now with all the very "unqualified" people looking for things on the cheap. Like rooms or hey...even cots to rent these days.

We all know who those people are looking for that type of rental.They can't use a realtor as they know the 1st thing a realtor has to ask for is for you the prospective tenant to fill out an application. And give them full real name & SS number. So you can do credit & background checks. These people looking for rooms to rent. For the most part most do NOT have SS#'s They know those landlords are less likely to care who they rent to.Or ask for any ID or paperwork. As long as they get the CASH.

But can't you legally say "no programs" if you are showing an apt in a private home where the homeowner/landlord occupies the home? Meaning the home where the rental is "Owner Occupied". And there are 3 or less dwellings on the property? We have been observing evictions past few weeks in the Small Claims court in TOH. And a judge did mention this in one case. Saw some very interesting landlord/tenant cases where most of the apts were in fact illegal. LL won every eviction easy. And judge was actually quite harsh to some tenants that blurted out "But Judge this rental is illegal". Judge just said that is between the homeowner & the town. And told the tenants to pay up what they owe as they had "agreement". And then told them to get out of apt by end of month.

Last edited by loribell38; 10-19-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 AM

987 posts, read 822,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Can't say anything publicly here. But feel free to PM me if you want. I would need some basic questions answered only by the person that is going to be the tenant before setting up appt to view any rentals he might have. But mostly all apartments he rents right now are either in Merrick,Bellmore or now he just closed on a few in Wantagh. And he does have a few coming up in Massapequa soon. Town is slow with permits. He is completed gutting the homes. And they keep delaying him! All the apts he rents are legal. But at $950 that budget is too low for most rental on LI. Heck even for like I had said landlords asking even up to 1300 now are all saying 1 person only. That low budget will not get them a great apt that they will like in a decent area. Basically liek they say in life. You get what you pay for.

Unless you are their legal guardian. Like where they want the rental. And ALL people that will occupy apt. Their ages & other things. They would have to apply like any other tenant would. Meaning show pic ID for anyone that will occupy rental. Prove steady on the books income from job or other acceptable source. No CASH paying non-verifiable jobs fro income. And they MUST have great credit & score. As well as good background checks. So if they committed a crime...no rental basically.

Ok I will ask them about their credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island