Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:57 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times

Advertisements

The LIRR is wrecking it for families here. Making a trip to the city used to be one of the fun benefits of being a Long Islander. Now it costs a small family from Suffolk upwards of $100 just in transportation to get to Manhattan.

Too many things are getting out of reach now, like the LIRR we supplement and escalating costs to visit the beaches we pay for. Newsday should do a story addressing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The LIRR is wrecking it for families here. Making a trip to the city used to be one of the fun benefits of being a Long Islander. Now it costs a small family from Suffolk upwards of $100 just in transportation to get to Manhattan.

Too many things are getting out of reach now, like the LIRR we supplement and escalating costs to visit the beaches we pay for. Newsday should do a story addressing this.
not to mention the fact that there was plenty of free parking in midtown Manhattan on weekends way back when. Now you pay upwards of forty bucks for a parking garage.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:18 PM

983 posts, read 725,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

Public transportation in LI is non existant, low priority obviously

Old 10-22-2016, 03:04 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
When I'm low on money or feeling extra patient, I take the NICE bus to Jamaica and then the E train into Manhattan

Takes about 2 hours from Baldwin to Penn Station but costs less than 3 dollars

Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we live in bayside and use the lirr on the weekends using the city pass . it is pretty reasonable

Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 AM

179 posts, read 304,293 times
Gotta pay for all those retired conductors somehow...

Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHouseHunting View Post
If you were commuting 5 days a week to and from NYC you might think otherwise in regards to preferring a subway train type situation.
I use both, and to be honest the trains in subway are fairly nice, and the people? More courteous than the people on the lirr. I see people fighting over a seat on lirr, but people on subway will give up there seat for a woman, or the elderly. Li people in general are stuck up selfish snobs...yes, I said it. Its true.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
There is nothing more ridiculous than the cost of paper products.

Toilet paper, paper towels, are beyond expensive but you are not complaining about them.

How about the reduction of product? There is no such thing as a half gallon of ice cream, or a pound of coffee, bars of soap now have pretty concave shapes on the bottom, supposedly to keep the soap "drier", peanut butter jars have the same shape as a wine bottle. There is little that has not been reduced and if your choice is to drive to NYC and park or LIRR, there is no choice. You can drive to LI City and park and take the subway but you have to be there very early to get a spot.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:58 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
For a full time commuter I'm not so fussed about the price from zone 4. $252 per month, tax free. What we should get for that price (but never will) is discounted subway fare.

I agree that for day trippers the price is outrageous.

Before I was a commuter I had to get from Woodside to Auburndale, peak. That's like a 9 minute ride. I can't remember what I paid but it was shocking to me.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM

57 posts, read 51,694 times
Default LIRR expense

Not surprising when you consider the contracts that are signed by our politicians.

As a daily commuter who stands 3 out of 5 days only to find that 1/3 of the folks sitting are relatives of employees riding free- aggravating.

Is it me? Why are persons who work for a public entity able to receive gratuity? What else would you call it for free rides worth upwards of $3,000 a year, not to mention parking.
What next FAA employees ride for Free? FDA employees free meat?

Bigger base would mean lower rates.

CHARGE THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island