Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM

179 posts, read 304,049 times

Advertisements

Vivint came by us last week and offered to do a free consultation. They said if we were eligible for solar panels based on design of the house, if we used them, they would replace PSEG as our electricity company. The savings comes with Vivint and other solar panel companies having much lower rates. We don't pay anything for installation or any other up front costs - they simply replace PSEG on the electric bill (assuming there is enough sun for that period).

is there a catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Vivint came by us last week and offered to do a free consultation. They said if we were eligible for solar panels based on design of the house, if we used them, they would replace PSEG as our electricity company. The savings comes with Vivint and other solar panel companies having much lower rates. We don't pay anything for installation or any other up front costs - they simply replace PSEG on the electric bill (assuming there is enough sun for that period).

is there a catch?

Many catches.

You are in contract with them for 20 years. If you move or decide you don't want the panels on your roof anymore, you have to pay them off at a prorated rate any time during the 20 years.

They can raise your rates.

They void your roof warranty.

Their customer service reputation is bad, look up on BBB, and they have no answer to that concern being raised, other than to bash the BBB.

They projected they'd save me around $800, so most likely less since their salesman are selling you..they tend to exaggerate.

Are the above catches worth $800 a year? That's your call.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
I agree w/ the above. You want to buy the panels outright instead of leasing them because it will cost more in the long run.

I can't comment about on Vivint's solar panel service specifically but my parents have Vivint for their home alarm system and they have been nothing but a nightmare to deal with. Go figure, they were suckered into signing a FIVE year contract based on the pushy salesperson that knocked on their door and offered a bunch of "freebies" Every month, the fees increase and change for no reason. The equipment breaks down and you are on the phone for hours to get through, then they tell you to try to fix it yourself before they bother w/ sending a technician to your home, they charge higher fees that other companies and their contracts are so tight- good luck trying to get out of anything if you sign. I've already drafted a couple of angry complaints against Vivint Corporate but they've done nothing to reimburse my parents for all the aggravation and financial pain being stuck in a 5 yr contract has caused.

If Vivint Solar is anything like Vivint home alarm, I'd run far, far away.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Something else to consider is the age of your roof. They will charge to remove and return the panels if you need roofing work done.

Also, ask your local fire dept .how they feel about them. In the event of a fire, if the department needs to vent your roof first they need to discharge the electric from them.

Firefighters: Solar Panels Make Our Job Harder | The Daily Caller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island