Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 AM

30 posts, read 42,650 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are looking to buy a house in JC where the owner has made a lot of improvements to the basement like adding a bathroom among others. We do like the house. I am a first time buyer with limited knowledge but I did some research and found that such additions may have required permits from the city.

When I confronted the seller - he declined any knowledge of pulling any permits. The work was done by a licensed contractor but no permits were pulled. There are no currently open permits either. The house does have a CO from the time it was built.

We are in a dilemma on whether to go ahead with the purchase. The owner is demanding top dollar for the improvements / additions made by him. In this market, I know he would have no problem selling this house as he has multiple interests.

Should we pass this house ? Will the new buyer inherit any legal issues ? I am not sure what the consequences can be of buying such a property and what is the best course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM

2,578 posts, read 3,364,164 times
I and many other people I know bought houses that had basement improvements that included a bathroom. I would say go for it. If the banks OK the loan and the town does not find out then that is money you save. If there were permits for the extra bathroom and renovations then your taxes would go up. I would be more concerned about not having a CO for things you can see like an addition, dormer, fireplace, etc. Anything out of sight, especially in the basement is not a big deal to me.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:41 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,523,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I and many other people I know bought houses that had basement improvements that included a bathroom. I would say go for it. If the banks OK the loan and the town does not find out then that is money you save. If there were permits for the extra bathroom and renovations then your taxes would go up. I would be more concerned about not having a CO for things you can see like an addition, dormer, fireplace, etc. Anything out of sight, especially in the basement is not a big deal to me.
Yes, if the work was done well, and the bank doesn't raise an issue, I'm inclined to agree.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,282,495 times
What is JC? Jericho?. You just hit the jackpot NO OPEN PERMITS. Your taxes will be less, my house had the same thing fully finished basement w/ a full bath and no c/o but no open permits either. I was able to buy w/o any major issues.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 AM

30 posts, read 42,650 times
There is a gas fireplace that was added too but again in the basement . This is a 2 family house. I plan to live in one unit and use the finished basement only for my recreation but concerned about the city finding it during a tax re assessment and want to know what is the worst case ( fines, demolition etc ) that I need to prepare for.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:38 PM

2,578 posts, read 3,364,164 times
Buy the house and setup the basement as your man cave. Stock it with a fridge dedicated to your beers and alcoholic drinks. Setup a fully-stocked wet bar, a 60+ inch TV with surround sound, a poker table, a huge couch for you and all your buddies and most importantly do not setup anything for the kids. This is your space and your space only.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM

300 posts, read 546,451 times
Really all of the stuff should be permitted because you are going to inherit the problem if you go to do any future permit work in the future.

With that being said... If you don't mind dealing with the permit issues in the future then that's fine.

It really depends on the type of work though. A finished bathroom and basement is one thing but decks, porches, extensions or second floor additions should all have permits and I would not buy a house if any of those items are not permitted because of structural, lot coverage, and set back issues.

I would also hire a licensed plumber to verify any gas work that was done if it was unpermitted.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,680 times
make sure you hire an inspector/ carpenter to inspect all the work done with a fine tooth comb. You don't want that fireplace burning down your whole house because it was done by a guy who didnt know what he was doing.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,916,010 times
Not sure where JC is but I would run away. All you will ever need to do, including something as innocuous as a fence will require a permit in most locations. If they need to enter you r home for any reason you will be opening up a can of worms and it can be a costly one.

This may be an easy one too. Does the basement have an egress window or outside entrance? If not RUN, don't even think about it as if you need to file for a rental permit, they will not allow it without that.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,093,800 times
Tell the seller you don't pay "top dollar" for unpermitted work. If it was not reflected in the price I might take a chance but not for a premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: