Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,092 times

Advertisements

Hi all- we r planning on moving to Long Island within this new year and don't want to be in a flood zone,
But the Fema maps are unintelligible and terrible. Are parts of merrick or bellmore in a flood zone?
Also, what are the pros and cons of living in bellmore and merrick? Which do U think is better? We want really good schools, safety, sense of community and no ghetto pple (too many of those where we currently are And we have a 5 and 3 yr old). And we don't want uppity bougie pple.... down to earth pple
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 AM

106,610 posts, read 108,757,383 times
you can check here

https://www.longislandexchange.com/l...urge_zones.pdf

Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Yeah those maps suck.
Assume anything below Merrick Road is flood.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:24 PM

172 posts, read 185,528 times
the maps tell you nothing. I checked back to Hurricane Sandy and Bellmore and Merrick were hit hard. From what I understand, not all of Merrick floods. The areas that are in the flood zone are near the water. A good real estate agent should be able to guide you.

Read the following article:

lhttp://http://www.nytimes.com/1984/0...pagewanted=all:

Old 12-04-2016, 05:50 PM

51 posts, read 62,421 times
Parts of both Bellmore and Merrick are in flood zones. You have lots of homework ahead of you. South of Merrick Road and renovations done 2012 and later are warning signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casellarunner1 View Post
Also, what are the pros and cons of living in bellmore and merrick? Which do U think is better? We want really good schools, safety, sense of community and no ghetto pple (too many of those where we currently are And we have a 5 and 3 yr old). And we don't want uppity bougie pple.... down to earth pple
You had me until "no ghetto pple" and "don't want uppity bougie pple." Long Island is not a while middle-class utopia. You'll have better luck in the midwest. If you move to Bellmore/Merrick your kids will go to school with kids who qualify for free lunch, and kids who are driven to school in high-end luxury cars. They are all entitled to live there just as much as your family is, and your kids will be fine.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin24 View Post
Parts of both Bellmore and Merrick are in flood zones. You have lots of homework ahead of you. South of Merrick Road and renovations done 2012 and later are warning signs.

You had me until "no ghetto pple" and "don't want uppity bougie pple." Long Island is not a while middle-class utopia. You'll have better luck in the midwest. If you move to Bellmore/Merrick your kids will go to school with kids who qualify for free lunch, and kids who are driven to school in high-end luxury cars. They are all entitled to live there just as much as your family is, and your kids will be fine.
Of course they're entitled to live where they want. And we're entitled to try to avoid them.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM

245 posts, read 319,712 times
Both solid middle class towns. Many homes south of merrick road are in flood zones. To be safe, look north of merrick rd / sunrise highway.

In terms of diversity, check greatschools website and search the different schools in wantagh and bellmore. Lots of detail there that it seems you care about. Race breakdown and reduced lunch percentage namely. Driving around will tell you the most though.

For the record, id choose merrick if given an option between the two. They're very similar but merrick is generally known to be a notch above. Bellmore has a few run down looking spots whIle merrick is more solid in that regard.

Funny enough, South Bellmore, zoned for JFK, is probably the nicest of all. but, it's in a flood zone.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,237 times
You can check here for FEMA flood maps, I believe these maps are what the insurance companies use

https://msc.fema.gov/portal

Old 12-05-2016, 08:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin24 View Post

I get the OPs point. Some of us still have senses of humor and know what that means. I'll condense it "not too ghetto, not too bouchy." There. PC foolishness aside. Ghetto is more about curb appeal and appearance than race. "Black, white, puerto rican...just mow your lawn and keep the car off blocks" and you are a good neighbor.

I always liked Levittown/Bellmore areas precisely because for the starter money homes available it was the best mix of nice homes, decent schools, low crime, decent curb appeals (ie, not too ghetto) and classic suburban community feel. I like that there are 2 mid model SUV's in the driveway more often than Beemers and Mercedes...and the immigrant families blend right in and are as annoying at baseball and PTA as the good old natives. One kid on my team's Pakistani grandma was a worthy match for my own cranky Bklyn grandpa at terrorizing umps. You haven't lived until you've seen an ump lambasted by an old lady in a birka, and she was baseball-istically correct! That's America!

...and back to the topic...couldn't tell you about the flood zones, but know for sure that Merrick Rd near the Wantagh Pkwy to Bellmore Ave floods terribly. Was flooded 2 or 3 weeks before Sandy and a few times since. More of it is a need for updating sewers in these south nassau areas than the flood plain itself.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
You can't really go wrong w/ either town. We moved to North Bellmore after dealing w/ flood issues in our former house in Baldwin. No complaints. Merrick and Bellmore are very solid areas - Merrick seems to have more of a "downtown' feel as there are more variety of restaurants. South of Merrick Road is considered a flood zone w/ only a few areas that are high in elevation and exempt.

You can find out whether a specific house you like is in a flood zone here:

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

Keep in mind that even if your street isnt in a flood zone, the surrounding streets might be and thus can impact you when a storm hits and your neighbors park on your street or construction crews are around. We bought as far north of Sunrise Highway for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: