Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times

Advertisements

Switched to FIOS for 3 months. Complete nightmare. Boxes freezing, tons of new telemarketers flooding the land line, service down regularly, internet 100/100 performing at 30/40. No thanks. Optimum paid the early term fee and I left FIOS in the dust. Also paying $20 less per month. I have no horse in this race. Hate them both, but FIOS was not the same service I had 10 years ago. No way. Lots of blame on "the strike" but i don't see why the strike would cause 5 new boxes to perform like crap. Oh well. And yes, Optimum's hotspots are the most worthless attempts at wifi ever imagined.

2nd time I've got unused FIOS equipment bolted to my den wall. Not sure how slapping a bulky phone battery backup to the wall constitutes modern fiber optic technology. It's old school silliness. Particularly a phone line I'm only forced to take to get the best promo price and never use...except to screen telemarketers I'm starting to wonder if FIOS was selling my info to. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Switched to FIOS for 3 months. Complete nightmare. Boxes freezing, tons of new telemarketers flooding the land line, service down regularly, internet 100/100 performing at 30/40. No thanks. Optimum paid the early term fee and I left FIOS in the dust. Also paying $20 less per month. I have no horse in this race. Hate them both, but FIOS was not the same service I had 10 years ago. No way. Lots of blame on "the strike" but i don't see why the strike would cause 5 new boxes to perform like crap. Oh well. And yes, Optimum's hotspots are the most worthless attempts at wifi ever imagined.

2nd time I've got unused FIOS equipment bolted to my den wall. Not sure how slapping a bulky phone battery backup to the wall constitutes modern fiber optic technology. It's old school silliness. Particularly a phone line I'm only forced to take to get the best promo price and never use...except to screen telemarketers I'm starting to wonder if FIOS was selling my info to. Ugh.
Wow I've never had any of the above issues you had and I'm probably on my 6th year with Fios. But of course individual issues, connections etc can vary. Many have similar optimum issues and others have none at all. In 6 years I've yet to have a box fail on me (used t have to trade in the failing optimum dvrs all the time) I also think the Fios interface blows optimums out of the water, all my boxes run great. I also get full 75/75 (usually more actually) through Ethernet (wifi signals vary with any provider depending on your equipment). The also seem to give me a great deal again every time I re-sign with them. I'd never go back to optimum.

As for the phone? Yes the battery backup is annoying, and it sucks they practically force you to have a land line (as does optimum). It's also insane they charge like 3.50 or something like that a month just to stay unlisted. Also I agree optimums customer service is certainly better, at least it was back when I had it.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Agreed there, and I think 20mbps down is literally the minimum anyone should have for internet. I have the optimum 60 internet only thing, but I get people with 4 kids and 20 devices at a time need the POWA.

4k uncompressed streams are like 9gbps, that isn't happening soon.
Agreed. That's why I would try to get 50Mbps, if possible. Anything higher is really a waste unless you download a lot.

To everyone that has problems with FIOS: when I had Optimum I had internet dropouts every week or so. FIOS has been rock solid.

Speaking of FIOS: it looks like FIOS locked my 2 year contract for another year. I'm paying $120/mo for 50/50 internet, phone, Preferred TV and 1 cable card. This include all taxes, and I purchased the FIOS modem when I switched to FIOS. The bundle itself is $99, the other $20 is $5 for the cable card and $15 taxes. However, I also have the Fully Loaded Entertainment pack (all premium channels for free). For television I am using Tivo, 2 minis with lifetime.

As a reference, Optimum advertised with $99 (Optimum 60, Preferred TV and Phone). With the ridiculous $9 TV Surcharge, and the $2 cable card the price is pretty much the same. The only reason for me to switch next year to Optimum is to switch back to FIOS.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
If you stream, especially 4K you want at least 50 download (first number).
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
In theory, yes. But do you really want to approach your bandwidth limit?
I don't know how many 4K TVs you guys have in your homes, but the one I have is ethernet-connected to the AP router. Also they say it only takes ~15Mbps to stream 4K.

My point is maybe I'll invest more in a quantum router when our homes are full of 4K displays and content is plentiful. As of now, it's a good way for FIOS to earn extra (and screw regular users out of max potential). Techies usually rejoice by paying more.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Lots of blame on "the strike" but i don't see why the strike would cause 5 new boxes to perform like crap.

Not sure how slapping a bulky phone battery backup to the wall constitutes modern fiber optic technology. It's old school silliness..
Who is blaming the strike on bad service? That's just flat out stupid. You obviously had a bad feed somewhere, making these problems. And as far as the battery/bulky box, it is needed for fiber to work, it's a mini mux. You can't just pull data and such out of a fiber. It IS modern technology.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I don't know how many 4K TVs you guys have in your homes, but the one I have is ethernet-connected to the AP router. Also they say it only takes ~15Mbps to stream 4K.

My point is maybe I'll invest more in a quantum router when our homes are full of 4K displays and content is plentiful. As of now, it's a good way for FIOS to earn extra (and screw regular users out of max potential). Techies usually rejoice by paying more.
None, yet. And you should use your own router. and modem.

$45/mo for optimum 60 right now. No cable, phone is free with my OBiTALK and google voice.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Who is blaming the strike on bad service? That's just flat out stupid. You obviously had a bad feed somewhere, making these problems. And as far as the battery/bulky box, it is needed for fiber to work, it's a mini mux. You can't just pull data and such out of a fiber. It IS modern technology.
Nonsense. It's not fiber through the home and often isn't even fiber TO the home (often on LI just fiber for the backbone), but it sounds nice and it sells. It's still the same QAM technology everyone else uses. The signal is degraded the minute it hits the house. The mini-mux is just a multiplexer which condenses and/or breaks out signals to multiple signal packets. Little to do with fiber optics specifically. FIOS runs coax indoors to the set top boxes. They split the signal 32 times in each neighborhood backyard cluster that feeds to 32 homes. It's tech. It's not very high tech anymore. Regardless, it was about the BATTERY BACKUP (maybe you skipped over that). The "strike" comments came from FIOS EMPLOYEES "it aint the same since the strike...quality has gone way down." I didn't make it up. As for "bad feed" you'd think FIOS could fix that, no? Apparently they couldn't. The internet speeds? Apparently could fix, right? Nope. Blamed the wifi from the router to the desktop. Optimum had the decency to just install a better router free and problem solved, in fact problem never there after the install...speeds as advertised. I had FIOS 12 years ago and it was night and day better from the installer to the picture to the boxes to the quickness in changing channels. None of that was true this time around. I actually forfeited a $300 gift card just to get out of the service which of course didn't arrive in the 3 billing cycles as promised.

I appreciate peconic's positive experience and we've gone over this in a dozen threads. Your post, however really didn't add much, although it DID serve to remind me why I never usually get involved in these cable vs FIOS or oil company vs oil company threads. People tell their story, then have to listen to lectures. Swell.

And for the record, FIOS hasn't updated technology in a long time. In fact, they may not be FIOS long if they get the "mallard" thing off the ground which would be a whole new technology and completely internet based to the home. Soon they will all phase out delivering full time content (like FIOS and Cable do now) to internet based content on demand (more like Netflix now). They won't have to split out the ethernet and coax cable at the set top. It will all be internet based. THAT is the new technology.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 01-06-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Nonsense. It's not fiber through the home and often isn't even fiber TO the home (often on LI just fiber for the backbone), but it sounds nice and it sells. It's still the same QAM technology everyone else uses. The signal is degraded the minute it hits the house. The mini-mux is just a multiplexer which condenses and/or breaks out signals to multiple signal packets. Little to do with fiber optics specifically. FIOS runs coax indoors to the set top boxes. They split the signal 32 times in each neighborhood backyard cluster that feeds to 32 homes. It's tech. It's not very high tech anymore. Regardless, it was about the BATTERY BACKUP (maybe you skipped over that). The "strike" comments came from FIOS EMPLOYEES "it aint the same since the strike...quality has gone way down." I didn't make it up. As for "bad feed" you'd think FIOS could fix that, no? Apparently they couldn't. The internet speeds? Apparently could fix, right? Nope. Blamed the wifi from the router to the desktop. Optimum had the decency to just install a better router free and problem solved, in fact problem never there after the install...speeds as advertised. I had FIOS 12 years ago and it was night and day better from the installer to the picture to the boxes to the quickness in changing channels. None of that was true this time around. I actually forfeited a $300 gift card just to get out of the service since it didn't arrive in the 3 billing cycles as promised.

I appreciate peconic's positive experience and we've gone over this in a dozen threads. Your post, however really didn't add much, although it DID serve to remind me why I never usually get involved in these cable vs FIOS or oil company vs oil company threads. People tell their story, then have to listen to lectures. Swell.

And for the record, FIOS hasn't updated technology in a long time. In fact, they may not be FIOS long if they get the "mallard" thing off the ground which would be a whole new technology and completely internet based to the home. Soon they will all phase out delivering full time content (like FIOS and Cable do now) to internet based content on demand (more like Netflix now). They won't have to split out the ethernet and coax cable at the set top. It will all be internet based. THAT is the new technology.
Lmao, it's fiber to the "ugly box" on EVERY home. Not sure where you get your information. Believe what you want.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
None, yet. And you should use your own router. and modem.

$45/mo for optimum 60 right now. No cable, phone is free with my OBiTALK and google voice.
Fios does not use modems as no modulation is required with Fios like it is with optimum. With Fios you are pretty much trapped with the router they give you especially if you have more than just internet service with them (the router is used for the multi room DVRs as well as the channel guide etc) you can bridge another router to it, but you are still stuck with the Verizon one. As I understand it if you just have internet you can use any router you want but only if you have an Ethernet run from your Verizon junction box to your WAN. Vast majority of people use coax. And if you use your own router Verizon will give you no support.

That's one nice thing about optimum is you are free to use whatever router you want easily.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Fios does not use modems as no modulation is required with Fios like it is with optimum. With Fios you are pretty much trapped with the router they give you especially if you have more than just internet service with them (the router is used for the multi room DVRs as well as the channel guide etc) you can bridge another router to it, but you are still stuck with the Verizon one. As I understand it if you just have internet you can use any router you want but only if you have an Ethernet run from your Verizon junction box to your WAN. Vast majority of people use coax. And if you use your own router Verizon will give you no support.

That's one nice thing about optimum is you are free to use whatever router you want easily.
Yes, you need to use the Verizon Router as an entry point. I have disabled all wireless capabilities and have my Asus RT-AC66U handle the Wifi in my house. Works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island