U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-28-2008, 11:14 PM

29 posts, read 54,707 times
There are a few things here that resonated with me.

#1 - Quality of life on LI really IS not what is used to be. I left the east end about 13 years ago and now there are SHOOTINGS there? Every time we come back there are more strip malls. It's like Queens and Brooklyn are spreading out to the island. Eventually all of LI will simply be a big Brooklyn - I love Brooklyn, but I think it should stay where it is!

#2 - Once you leave you can't come back. SO true. You'll never make enough money to get back in.

#3 - The sense of entitlement - I absolutely grew up with that. But it causes you to miss out on the things that life gives that are worth paying attention to. The little things. You're always looking for bigger, better and you want it now! I'm JUST getting over that! It involves slowing down and just appreciating what is there before you.

#4 - LI Beaches are still the best in the country. Hands down. I'm not actually sure if anyone said that, but now I did.

The End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,495 times
Long Island beaches are the best in the country????? Only if you can afford a private beach in the Hamptons.

Otherwise, you have to put up with long lines of trafficto get in....pay excessive parking fees. walk a half mile carrying all your gear to the actual sand, then try to find your little piece to put down your blanket down and hope that the kids don't run by too fast and get sand all over you. Then if you do decide to get in the brown ocean...the water if usually too cold untill the end of August. Doesn't sound too appealing to me and I have done it for years!

Have you been to the beautiful, white sandy beaches off the coast here in North Carolina? You can park almost on the beach, the water is blue-green and you can actualy swim because the water is gorgeous!!!!

North Carolina beaches have a definite edge over the beaches on Long Island.

Just my opinion.

Unread 07-29-2008, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,354 times
Have you ever been to the Florida panhandle? Destin, Ft Walton...the best beaches in the country hands down. White sand for miles, crystal clear water. You won't believe how clear the water is. You'll think you are in the Caribbean. Just do a google search for Destin beaches and you'll see what I mean.

Unread 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM

12,929 posts, read 13,562,044 times
ABC News: Top 10 US Beaches (http://abcnews.go.com/us/popup?id=3258424&contentIndex=1&page=1&start=false - broken link)

2008 list of Top 10 US Beaches as per Dr. Beach and broadcast on ABC News.

LI has 2 of them. Not too shabby

Unread 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM

5,643 posts, read 3,662,159 times
I cried when I had to move from LI to Florida. It wasn't a choice (job) to come here. In the 20 years I lived on LI and raised my family, I went to the beach maybe 5 times. I don't like the beach. I didn't in NY and still don't in Florida. I HATE the summer, which I now have 12 months a year. I miss the 4 seasons terribly. Yes, even driving 2 hours in a snowstorm to go 10 miles. I would rather do that than fry on a beach, or for that matter, fry just WALKING around outside here in 100+ heat index MONTHS on end.

I want to go HOME. Long Island is my home and always will be.

Unread 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM

2,846 posts, read 5,645,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
ABC News: Top 10 US Beaches (http://abcnews.go.com/us/popup?id=3258424&contentIndex=1&page=1&start=false - broken link)

2008 list of Top 10 US Beaches as per Dr. Beach and broadcast on ABC News.

LI has 2 of them. Not too shabby
Hamptons? Lame...never even heard of either of them! Gilgo Beach is where it's at!

Unread 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM

I haven't been to Gilgo in a very long time.
Cedar Beach is a good one, too.

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,948,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailaus2 View Post
Have you been to the beautiful, white sandy beaches off the coast here in North Carolina? You can park almost on the beach, the water is blue-green and you can actualy swim because the water is gorgeous!!!!

North Carolina beaches have a definite edge over the beaches on Long Island.

Just my opinion.
Not sure if they're better in NC but we've been to them as early as April (Corolla Light) and late as October for sunning and swimming (Atlantic Beach), so that gets them a few bonus points. Personally I prefer the type of sand that Fire Island has compared to NC and VA, and I like that there aren't rental properties or hotels surrounding the beaches of LI. I will admit that it was nice to rent a place on the beach in NC and also to stay at a hotel overlooking the beach at Virginia Beach, but I still miss my beaches on LI.

Unread 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,645,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I haven't been to Gilgo in a very long time.
Cedar Beach is a good one, too.
Yup, definitely. Great car show on Saturday evenings. I prefer the bar at Gilgo so that gives it a little edge as far as I'm concerned

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Yup, definitely. Great car show on Saturday evenings. I prefer the bar at Gilgo so that gives it a little edge as far as I'm concerned
I have been to the car show at Cedar, but it was about 2 summers ago. Perfect night, just the right amount of breeze to keep bugs at bay and just enough clouds in the upper atmosphere to make for a spectacular, colorful sunset. I had an alcoholic blender drink that night -- did they do away with the bar at the Pavilion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island