Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:27 PM

23 posts, read 51,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Now this was a sincere post. And I think moving to live somewhere more affordable makes sense, as long as those who do it don't come to knock those of us who live here and actually love it.
I very well did say in my OP that we WERE moving for affordability and my move makes sense to me...and i apologize that you took my original OP so badly..just trying to say goodbye

so....GOODBYE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 04:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Now this was a sincere post. And I think moving to live somewhere more affordable makes sense, as long as those who do it don't come to knock those of us who live here and actually love it.
Well you really are nuts for living there.

Actually for us the move was because of a lack of housing in areas we wanted to live rather than housing costs, I do remember interest rates being really high. A few months after we left was when Halprin got in and the Suffolk tax shock hit. After that both our parents left for NC (where else, right) and there wasn't much reason to go back.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 02-29-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
Quote:
I hope you did a LOT of research b/c there are plenty of areas in NC that are unsafe. My friends live near Raleigh and it is certainly a lot worse than Hicksville, that's for sure! Plus with the LOW cost of homes in NC, that means that almost everyone can afford a home so you never know who your neighbors will be.

When I visited and we drove through Raleigh, I locked my car doors. It was way worse than Hicksville. And my friend's car window just got shot out (they didn't know what it was, a bullet or a pellet/bb) while driving a few mths back, on his way to work. Luckily his child was not in the car. Crime and poverty exist in every state.

You really should quit while you think you are ahead. Unless you yourself have lived somewhere, I think its silly to make statements like "friends of mine". How come these friends aren't running scared back to safe LI. Your friends probably moved to a bad part of town. They do exist you know. Raleigh is a huge area(check out a map), I doubt you visited all sections of it or else you would have not made those statements. Are there bad areas of Raleigh? sure. Its not all bad though. There are bad areas on LI. I 'm sure if I took some of my Cary friends to areas of Wyndanch they would say the same thing. I hope that they wouldn't think the whole Island is that way. Nobody said NC was perfect or a Utopia. I agree crime exists everywhere.
I actually see more posts about people leaving and all for the same reasons FINANCIAL. Why knock someone for making a decision for their family? You make decisions for yours. Nobody told you to open these types of posts.
Not to many people posting that they can't wait to come back. People have real issues about why they are leaving the Island and you want to keep saying how you can afford it and blah blah blah instead of saying yeah it is expensive and it is a shame that so many people have to leave because of it.
Why would you care who leaves LI, it would mean less traffic for you.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Well you really are nuts for living there.
That's not fair and I can't let you get away with saying that. People who relocate have a right to do so and people who stay have their reasons for staying. Nobody is nuts, except maybe you for saying that.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM

Uh, duuude, it was a joke. See I wrote to Glad2...
Quote:
Quote:
I never hated Long Island, I actually love Long Island and a lot of the people on it. I was raised on the Island, married on the Island, played in the clubs on the Island, I still have dear friends on the Island and have a lot of personal history on Island. I'll always be a Long Islander inside. I hope you folks living there now are enjoying yourselves as much as I did when I lived there or even when I visit.

I miss Long Island enough to visit, just not to live there because of the taxes and high cost of living which are problems for many Long Islanders. I'd love for those problems to be fixed but like most problems on my former home they either won't or they'll just work themselves out.

But come summer I'll be helping the Long Island economy by spending some of my expendable income in hotels, restaurants, shops, beaches and parks. And I'll be enjoying myself big time.

It's time in Dreamland (VA not NC) to pick up some pizza. Not as good as Long Island pizza but getting closer.
and he wrote back...

Quote:
and then I made a little joke. See I really don't think someones nuts for living on LI, it was just poking fun. See?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Uh, duuude, it was a joke. See I wrote to Glad2...

and he wrote back...

and then I made a little joke. See I really don't think someones nuts for living on LI, it was just poking fun. See?
OK dude, that's cool, then I take it back...I just like to be fair all the way around.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
You really should quit while you think you are ahead. Unless you yourself have lived somewhere, I think its silly to make statements like "friends of mine". How come these friends aren't running scared back to safe LI. Your friends probably moved to a bad part of town. They do exist you know. Raleigh is a huge area(check out a map), I doubt you visited all sections of it or else you would have not made those statements. Are there bad areas of Raleigh? sure.

I 'm sure if I took some of my Cary friends to areas of Wyndanch they would say the same thing. I hope that they wouldn't think the whole Island is that way.
Quit while I am ahead??? And my friends never lived in LI so they wouldn't come running back. In fact they lived many places, upstate NY, Queens, Fla, etc. What's the "sarcasm" for? B/c you don't like that I said "bad" things about NC?

I see....You don't want me to make it sound like all of NC or ALL of Raleigh is unsafe (and never did I say that), just as I don't want people to go around saying ALL LIers "need luck" living here. So you can understand now. Apparently NO ONE wants where they live talked about negatively and dumped on. My point all along.

I DO know bad parts of NC exist (just as bad parts of LI, we talk about them EVERYday on here), that's exactly my point. The OP was talking about feeling unsafe in her current LI town. So I was bringing up the fact that not all of NC is a perfect utopia simply b/c houses and taxes are cheap, so you better have done the research. And the part of Raleigh I referred to felt very unsafe, and it looked a LOT like Wyandanch IMO.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 02-29-2008 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
Quote:
Quit while I am ahead??? And my friends never lived in LI so they wouldn't come running back. In fact they lived many places, upstate NY, Queens, Fla, etc. What's the "sarcasm" for? B/c you don't like that I said "bad" things about NC?

I see....You don't want me to make it sound like all of NC or ALL of Raleigh is unsafe (and never did I say that), just as I don't want people to go around saying ALL LIers "need luck" living here. So you can understand now. Apparently NO ONE wants where they live talked about negatively and dumped on. My point all along.

I DO know bad parts of NC exist (just as bad parts of LI, we talk about them EVERYday on here), that's exactly my point. The OP was talking about feeling unsafe in her current LI town. So I was bringing up the fact that not all of NC i utopia simply b/c houses and taxes are cheap, so you better have done the research. And the part of Raleigh I referred to felt very unsafe, and it looked a LOT like Wyandanch IMO.
I don't see where the poster was dumping on LI. She said SHE didn't feel safe where she lives now. She can't afford to live in a better area in LI. She feels she can find a safe AND affortable place to live somewhere else.

Instead of dumping on the place she is moving to (crime in Raleigh, etc). Why not discuss the reasons why she should stay on LI. I have yet to hear a valid reason why SOMEONE should stay on LI if they are struggling to get by. I guess its easier to bash the unknown rather than say yeah it can be tough and its overpriced, and taxes are out of control, but it works for us. You can say the truth and guess what? You can still live there. They won't kick you off the Island.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
I thought Glad to be here has consistently said that it is tough to live on LI, but it works for them.

I don't think anyone begrudges anyone else the opportunity to move where ever they would like to. We're just tired of getting dumped on by members who don't live here or don't want to live here.

If LI was such a hell hole for those who fled from the area, why waste your time negatively harping about it? Move on, and enjoy your new home.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
OK dude, that's cool, then I take it back...I just like to be fair all the way around.
Coooooool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island