U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Tierra del Encanto
1,777 posts, read 1,623,209 times
Reputation: 2373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't see how people can think this **** is ok....
It's funny when the mods get moderated by the filters.

We've been conditioned over years to accept this **** as normal. Why would they stop when people pay it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 PM
 
2,045 posts, read 1,728,580 times
Reputation: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't see how people can think this **** is ok....
How much does it cost a family in Queens for private school and city income tax? Property tax for a remodeled Queens home is starting to creep up. They are building high taxed homes in Queens all over. If you do the math and overall QoL, it's not that egregious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 PM
 
30,340 posts, read 43,575,958 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
It's funny when the mods get moderated by the filters.

We've been conditioned over years to accept this **** as normal. Why would they stop when people pay it?
Everybody gets moderated when it comes to cursing, including us mods. But i did it to make a point.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 PM
 
30,340 posts, read 43,575,958 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
How much does it cost a family in Queens for private school and city income tax? Property tax for a remodeled Queens home is starting to creep up. They are building high taxed homes in Queens all over. If you do the math and overall QoL, it's not that egregious.
If you're making 100K the city income tax = the LIRR + subway
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 12:49 AM
 
6 posts, read 5,120 times
Reputation: 10
- too close to Baldwin
- overrated schools
- congested roads
- far from any decent highways
- flood insurance
- NO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 AM
 
24 posts, read 31,224 times
Reputation: 22
look at Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Hewlett and Woodmere
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 AM
 
280 posts, read 260,379 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace500 View Post
the high school is more hit and miss.
The ways the schools (and parochial schools) were distributed created a major problem in the community; an unintentional and unintended type of cultural, ethnic, and economic segregation. The high school is better because it merged, melted, and eliminated segregation.

I went to school in Boardman which was a totally oppressive hell hole of entitled Nouveau Riche who lived in the newly built (but expensive) landfill-garbage-dump bubble. By the time I got to the high school I was exposed to a less entitled crowd, yeah. Most of my friends were from even less entitled areas of Baldwin, and RVC that fell into the Oceanside district.

I had a much better time of it in High School, it still looks like a dynamic high school and a great place to send your kids. The kids look alert and happy in Oceanside High School. They are also a very diverse lot; which to me is very important.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 AM
 
280 posts, read 260,379 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
It's not necessarily growing. NYC is all over the place (so is Long Island, but less so)
NYC has an income tax and Nassau County does not; income tax can be indexed to your income; property tax is more arbitrary. In Nassau you don't get very much value for your taxes. In the foreign country I lived in I was paying $12,000 a year property taxes on a six unit building plus a brownstone; but the sales tax was 15% and the income tax was 50%. However, you paid lots of taxes but you got lots of value. Net net taxes were not such a problem even though they were high. In Nassau the taxes are high and you don't get much value.

I also wanted to suggest a real estate value I found on LI. Hewlett and Cedarhurst have COOP building that nobody wants to live in. You can get a great one bedroom apartment for $100,000 to $125,0000 with low carrying costs in the middle of an expensive area. I did not look into larger apartments but I am sure there is value there.

The down side everything shuts down on Saturday; but there are some nice walking streets, great shopping Walls Bakery, and Hewlett Fish Market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 11:47 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,410,243 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
NYC has an income tax and Nassau County does not; income tax can be indexed to your income; property tax is more arbitrary. In Nassau you don't get very much value for your taxes. In the foreign country I lived in I was paying $12,000 a year property taxes on a six unit building plus a brownstone; but the sales tax was 15% and the income tax was 50%. However, you paid lots of taxes but you got lots of value. Net net taxes were not such a problem even though they were high. In Nassau the taxes are high and you don't get much value.

I also wanted to suggest a real estate value I found on LI. Hewlett and Cedarhurst have COOP building that nobody wants to live in. You can get a great one bedroom apartment for $100,000 to $125,0000 with low carrying costs in the middle of an expensive area. I did not look into larger apartments but I am sure there is value there.

The down side everything shuts down on Saturday; but there are some nice walking streets, great shopping Walls Bakery, and Hewlett Fish Market.
Those are nice places to live. However, the high residential property taxes (in Hewlett) are reflected in maintenance fees that are quite high. The apartments don't appreciate much and I am sure they can be hard to sell. But if you are looking for a nice apartment in a nice area (and, in the case of Hewlett, a great school district), it is a fair deal.

Hewlett doesn't really shut down on Saturday, btw. Cedarhurst largely does, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,410,243 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Those are nice places to live. However, the high residential property taxes (in Hewlett) are reflected in maintenance fees that are quite high. The apartments don't appreciate much and I am sure they can be hard to sell. But if you are looking for a nice apartment in a nice area (and, in the case of Hewlett, a great school district), it is a fair deal.

Hewlett doesn't really shut down on Saturday, btw. Cedarhurst largely does, though.

EDIT: The garden apartment co-ops in NE Queens offer much the same in both value and tradeoffs. Some even have pools. Maintenance varies from VERY reasonable to rather high (in the case of the more full service buildings with amenities in Bayside). Schools are good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top