Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 39,288 times

Advertisements

Need some advice if anyone can help

Spent a fortune renting a 2 bedroom home in Melville from 2015-2016. The house was listed as a single family..when we saw the house seemed very clean and and owners nice. We were showed the main level 2 bed 1 bath and yard and a basement.... but there was a separate entrance to an upstairs from the outside, separate locked door .We never saw the inside. They told us casually that they used the upstairs here and there as an office for the husband as he worked in investing/ banking for ameriprise . Sounded like a guy who comes here and there to use a laptop... We signed the legal one year lease and gave a very large security deposit down (2 full months rent) due to our credit being low and a month's rent to realtor as a commission. After living there only a very short time we realized that the landlord had a full time employee working for him 5 days a week from 8-6 in the separate entrance and parked in our driveway until we asked them to park on street and then parked the employee car in front of our house all day everyday and the landlord came everyday as well. We heard them walking back and forth all day and heard the phones / faxes plus on weekend when people left messages because they were not there.
I have over 40 pics over the year of the cars parked. We did not investigate if the rental legal b/c we did not want to get kicked out and so we found a new place to live when it finished but now I see it up for rent again and I called and its still not in permit system...I want to go after my realtor fee and back rent...anyone have suggestions for me ...never was late or missed one rent check either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 12:25 PM

472 posts, read 473,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy290 View Post

Spent a fortune renting a 2 bedroom home in Melville from 2015-2016. The house was listed as a single family..when we saw the house seemed very clean and and owners nice. We were showed the main level 2 bed 1 bath and yard and a basement.... but there was a separate entrance to an upstairs from the outside, separate locked door .We never saw the inside. They told us casually that they used the upstairs here and there as an office for the husband as he worked in investing/ banking for ameriprise . Sounded like a guy who comes here and there to use a laptop... We signed the legal one year lease and gave a very large security deposit down (2 full months rent) due to our credit being low and a month's rent to realtor as a commission. After living there only a very short time we realized that the landlord had a full time employee working for him 5 days a week from 8-6 in the separate entrance and parked in our driveway until we asked them to park on street and then parked the employee car in front of our house all day everyday and the landlord came everyday as well. We heard them walking back and forth all day and heard the phones / faxes plus on weekend when people left messages because they were not there.
I have over 40 pics over the year of the cars parked. We did not investigate if the rental legal b/c we did not want to get kicked out and so we found a new place to live when it finished but now I see it up for rent again and I called and its still not in permit system...I want to go after my realtor fee and back rent...anyone have suggestions for me ...never was late or missed one rent check either
First, no one here will give you legal advice. If you want that make an appointment with a lawyer.

Second, you will never get rent back. You lived in the apartment and made use of it.

As far as the broker fee I will let someone more knowledge try to speak to that.

You have a new place move on with your life.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy290 View Post

So you enjoyed living there for one year 2015-2016 and now, in 2017 you've decided to investigate the legality of the rental? They revealed to you that the upstairs was used as an office -- they didn't keep you in the dark, no mystery. The foot traffic was none of your business. Plenty of rentals have noisy upstairs neighbors into the wee hours 7 days a week.

While I can't offer you legal advice, I will tell you that you sound ridiculous, petty and greedy. Your complaint is laughable. You didn't care about the apartment being illegal (that is if we are to believe you)when you lived there. Sounds to me like you just want money.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM

152 posts, read 176,889 times
You have to pay youre rent and you cant make them give it back even if you hear things. Why would they?

Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
If you vocalized your displeasure and left 10 months earlier your argument might have more merit. As an outsider reading your post I see there are no complaints/misrepresentations about the quality of your apartment, what I do read is you had a noisy neighbor during the work day who was inconsiderate of the parking assignments. You do not mention speaking to the owner about business machine noise after hours/weekends but you find a car parked on the street to be offensive. Why did you take this unit when it seems you wanted an entire house to yourself?

Waste your money on an attorney for a valid legal opinion but don't be offended when he laughs.....

Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Nothing you state makes the house an illegal rental. Was there a stove in the "office"? Was someone sleeping there? Was the landlord collecting rent from the office?

Even if it was an illegal conversion, you are not entitled to any money back.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
No. Don't waste your time.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:38 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
as judge judy says , you ate the steak . you have to pay for it .

Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 AM

430 posts, read 556,989 times
Lol, the OP just got a taste of the real word in this thread. There are more important things to worry about and actual legitimate ways to make some extra cash.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
A) You don't actually know that it was illegal. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

B) Anybody is free to park on the street. The town/county owns it. The landlord's employee (or anyone else, for that matter) is free to park there all day long.

C) There are some circumstances in which a tenant is entitled to all back rent paid from a landlord if a unit is illegal (actually the tenant can be entitled to treble damages, so triple the rent they ever paid). However, this is more common in the five boroughs, and the tenant is usually still living in the unit. I would not hold my breath for your case, but if you really want to pursue it, go talk to a landlord/tenant attorney. Many will have free consultations. Personally I'd advise you let it go as LI is NYC when it comes to being so tenant friendly, and it doesn't sound like you have evidence of any damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: