Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM

983 posts, read 725,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Did everyone else get a rate increase on their auto insurance?

I was told by State Farm rep that the rate increase($16 per car/month) was due to a NY State premium increase and all policies had the rate increase.

Are they playing games or not?
Yes, they're crooks.

It was actually good because it forced me to look around and I found that Progressive was ripping me off.

I changed to Liberty mutual. I'm paying half.

Be careful because some companies give you the price for 6 months and others for a year. So if progressive gives you a number that's below what others are giving you, make sure it's also annual and not just for 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Getting a good rate on auto insurance is a game I play every year. I was with Liberty Mutual for a few years then their rates kept climbing up so I switched to Geico for a year until they started playing their games and now I just signed back up with Liberty Mutual. I have my home owners insurance with State Farm but their rates are very high even if I bundled their plans.

Next year when I have to renew my car insurance I'm sure I'll have to play this game again and shop around for anther quote. And yes OP, your rates always go up even if you are a perfect driver.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Did everyone else get a rate increase on their auto insurance?

I was told by State Farm rep that the rate increase($16 per car/month) was due to a NY State premium increase and all policies had the rate increase.

Are they playing games or not?
Yep! same here (for our new car our older car that we own went down). I called them as well. I'm kind of trapped though as I have Homeowners Insurance and Umbrella with them as well. Not much you can do except switch companies.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Yes, they're crooks.

It was actually good because it forced me to look around and I found that Progressive was ripping me off.

I changed to Liberty mutual. I'm paying half.

Be careful because some companies give you the price for 6 months and others for a year. So if progressive gives you a number that's below what others are giving you, make sure it's also annual and not just for 6 months.
Don't think Liberty dosen't pull the same crap. I started with them, they gave me a great low rate for Home Owners Ins and Auto, then it started to creep up more and more every year until the HO insurance became ridiculous. I called and they said they would reassess my home (but i would be stuck with the reassessment) and it went up even more! The next day I called state farm and got a much lower HO insurance rate for more coverage! The auto rates were nothing great but they were at least decent at the time (about the same i was paying liberty which auto had also creeped up).

Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
You guys use them for homeowners too?

Last I checked they had a 3rd party for their homeowners.

I have a feeling SF is blowing smoke.
they use travelers . we have travelers directly not through geico . we are borderline flood zone so geico won't write it directly .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-17-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I thought the same got in a accident, I didn't file a claim other person did they got 4k. Was a 10 year customer accident free until this one. My rates went up 60% on the renewal. Shopped around Allstate ended up being $150 cheaper than Geico pre accident and they new about the accident. I then filed a claim got $2500 from Geico and they day my check cleared I dropped them and swithced to Allstate. Good thing Geico is super fast and I got my $$ in like 8 days, I never had to pay the renewal since the cash cleared about 4 days before the renewal date. When I bundled home insurance with them my rates dropped even more. Have been with them for 4 years now, I shopped around last renewal no one came within $500 of my 6 month auto and yearly home rate with Allstate.

When my mom moved I contacted Allstate and her rates dropped $200 on car and All State insured her \condo for $100 less a yr than Geico quoted her.
all your insurance claims no matter who's fault are stored on CLUE .

they all count against you when you shop for insurance .

it is a good idea to check your report . you can view it once a year free

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-17-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM

122 posts, read 224,707 times
They see 3 year accident history. Even with accident history, Geico is cheaper for me. State farm quoted me a very high rate due to accident.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 AM

they see every claim including comprehensive , glass and in some cases road side assistance when sponsored by some insurers .

here in ny you can't be raised for comprehensive claims but you can be dropped . other insurers can raise you for comprehensive claims and glass if shopping , just not your own.

i got quoted 2x what i pay because of a stolen air bag and mirror

Old 01-17-2017, 12:26 PM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv_2014 View Post
Go for geico. They have great rates....You need to shop for auto insurance every year. If you go for geico, you can skip shopping for auto insurance every year as no one can beat their rates.
Allstate beat my former Geico policy by 1/3 ($1200). No accidents and clean record. And I didnt couple my homeowners policy.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:47 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Do you think if I drop my car insurance right now they will just raise my homeowners?

What a pita. Never ever had this problem with SF. No accidents, tickets, etc and they pull this crap on a 7 year customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: