U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 07:15 AM

1,296 posts, read 4,035,990 times

Advertisements

We are a middle-class white family of 3, son is a junior in hs and we both work in Queens. Based on our price range, we are looking at homes in Westbury, Hicksville, Bellmore and Oceanside. I am familiar with Bellmore and Oceanside, and realize Hicksville has a growing Indian population (I live in New Hyde Park now, so I would expect similar neighbors). Only Westbury has me stumped. Is it a safe area to buy in? Looking specifically in the area immediately south and west of the LIRR station (think its the Breezy Hill area). Unsure, since the Roosevelt Field customer base seems a little sketch lately. Thanks in advance for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM

12,537 posts, read 16,032,965 times
Simple way to decide. Since you have a child (no offense meant, by this description of a teen), start checking out the schools and see if you like what you read, perhaps watch and maybe even interview at the school.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 AM

Upon checking with his current school, I don't foresee a problem for him to remain there for his senior year. The only thing about schools that throws me is that it doesn't always represent the area at hand (i.e, Malverne). But, I will see what I find anyway.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 AM

12,537 posts, read 16,032,965 times
My point is that part of the appeal of a home is the school district. Check out the district office. Call and ask if a house on such and such a street is in that district . Sometimes there are two districts adjacent to each other on the same street. There are good and not so good areas in Westbury but some are zoned for different school districts and that can make all the difference in the world.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My point is that part of the appeal of a home is the school district. Check out the district office. Call and ask if a house on such and such a street is in that district . Sometimes there are two districts adjacent to each other on the same street. There are good and not so good areas in Westbury but some are zoned for different school districts and that can make all the difference in the world.
Thanks, I fully appreciate what you are saying. I see that Westbury High School doesn't have a high score on GreatSchools.com, and my son would clearly be in the minority if he attended. What I really can't tell is if the students all live in the area, or if the zone encompasses a greater area. For example, Malverne is a perfectly lovely area to live yet most parents send their children to private high schools since the school district isn't what they want for their children. What I can't tell from student demographics and school ratings is if the neighborhood in question in relatively safe from crime, etc. I don't mind living in a blended area if the residents are hard working and care for their homes and community.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Upon further review, I see that Hicksville HS doesn't score that well either. I was surprised since New Hyde Park Memorial has pretty similar demographics, yet comes in as a 9. Is there a large undocumented population in Hicksville?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:05 AM

4,561 posts, read 8,233,407 times
what's your approximate budget? Where in queens are you commuting to? Seems as if your son is only going to be in the new district for one year after this, while it's a concern I don't know that it should be the driving force behind this decision.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

17,696 posts, read 17,839,027 times
O'side probably has the best schools of the bunch.
The taxes are pretty high though. Expect to pay at least 10k a year in taxes.
Scratch Westbury from your list.
Hicksville is hit or miss with "ok" schools, taxes and housing a bit lower.
Probably same as above with Bellmore. Decent schools, hit or miss with some deals.
Oceanside and Bellmore have flooding issues in certain areas so you need to account for that in your search/budget.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM

24 posts, read 31,182 times
Many (most?) of the students that go to Westbury schools come from New Cassel.

If you're looking at Oceanside, also consider E. Rockaway, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Franklin Square.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 AM

245 posts, read 289,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
O'side probably has the best schools of the bunch.
I'd call oceanside and North bellmore comparable. South bellmore would be the best, though there's flooding to think about.

OP, see the oceanside thread on this forum before moving there. Lots of people seem to really hate living there for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island