Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 PM

112 posts, read 247,846 times

Advertisements

go for the largest stove that you can fit into your hearth. I have two Jotuls, the largest insert is a “550” and the smallest one is a “350”

when both stoves are cranking, the 550 feels gets so much hotter.

the 350 is nice and heats up my den quite well, but the 550 fills my living room, kitchen and foyer with 75 degrees if heat in a blizzard

I originally purchased the 350 first, from a local dealer and paid a bit more then i wanted.

after that very first year we wanted to get a second stove after learning
that the 350 was too small to heat our first floor of our home

by this time oil prices had shot up, tax breaks were now kicking in, and wood burning stove‘s were back in high demand

The quote I got from the local dealer was way too high so I started to shop around for alternative ways to purchase the stove I wanted The Jotul 550.

There is a fireplace forums called hearth.com and that’s where I read about a Jotul dealer with great prices in Connecticut

Their prices were substantially lower than any dealer on the island. the total cost of the stove, plus $350 for a chimney liner, renting a U-Haul truck, one way ferry ride (did this at end of a cape code vacation) and i was still able to save over 4 figures in greenbacks

I found a family member who installed the liner and insert for free, and I just ended up paying his helper.

worked out great and the family member still comes over to clean out both chimneys once a year.

Remember with any new stove, they need a break in period, usually a few medium burns before you start to cranking out the higher temp burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,516,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt20000 View Post
@85Dumbo it's been about a year and was just curious if you're still liking the fireplace insert? I'm about to go ahead with getting one installed, so was wondering if you had any updated thoughts. Thanks
Love it. Sitting in my living room with the thing blasting heat right now. Biggest issue is finding wood. Problem is solved for at least this year.... I had a large dead tree on my property that I had chopped down, and I personally split the logs into firewood (great exercise). I have enough cords for this winter, but don’t know what I will do next winter. With the cost of firewood on LI, it may be cheaper just to turn up the gas heat, but I love having a fire in the insert in the living room.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 PM

6,373 posts, read 13,094,671 times
I know folks who go to the Poconos or upstate to load up on firewood every August. Wayy cheaper than LI.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 32,963 times
What’s the typical cost for just installation for a wood insert?

Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 PM

112 posts, read 247,846 times
Pure labor costs is 2 guys at 2-3 hours total, anything above and beyond is paying for insurance, advertising, tooks, transportion, advertising, taxes etc

So depending on who you use dont let them overcharge for labor, ie like $1000-$1500 for the 4-6 hours of labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island