Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM

13 posts, read 17,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
it depends on what position you apply for. It's for train operator the test is difficult for some people. My BIL took the test to become a subway operator for MTA. He got called 6 years later. Then they send you to school (you get paid for this) You must pass several tests in the class and one being the test on Track signals. If you fail that part of the test you are out. My BIL had his wife help him study for this particular test because it's critical that you know this stuff. I am sure it's very similar to RR operator on the LIRR. You are also put on probation and don't operate the train alone at first. They have someone more experienced ride with you and help you. As an employee who's at the bottom of the totem pole you don't get the best choices for which shift, line or days off you get. When my BIL first started he was off Wednesdays and Thursdays, then he got Saturday and Sundays. You bid for this. Now he's back to Wednesdays and Thursdays off. His shift is from 4pm to 12 am. Not sure which line he operates. It is a stressful job operating the trains not sure about other jobs in the LIRR and MTA.
Every test is different, and every time you change departments you are treated as a new employee...bottom of the barrel seniority wise, all new probation and shift bidding. The engineers and guys who work on the cars have cherry contracts which have OT provisions that make it possible to get paid far more hours than actually worked. That's how these guys making $80K base gross upwards of $250K. Then there's the disability pension. It's not fraud, per se. It's a very stupid regulation built into the pension that everyone takes advantage of. It's a great job for some positions. For the most part, it's great for ambitionless slobs who want to make close to $100K easily and have a pension but no life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 12:11 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
it depends on what position you apply for. It's for train operator the test is difficult for some people. My BIL took the test to become a subway operator for MTA. He got called 6 years later. Then they send you to school (you get paid for this) You must pass several tests in the class and one being the test on Track signals. If you fail that part of the test you are out. My BIL had his wife help him study for this particular test because it's critical that you know this stuff. I am sure it's very similar to RR operator on the LIRR. You are also put on probation and don't operate the train alone at first. They have someone more experienced ride with you and help you. As an employee who's at the bottom of the totem pole you don't get the best choices for which shift, line or days off you get. When my BIL first started he was off Wednesdays and Thursdays, then he got Saturday and Sundays. You bid for this. Now he's back to Wednesdays and Thursdays off. His shift is from 4pm to 12 am. Not sure which line he operates. It is a stressful job operating the trains not sure about other jobs in the LIRR and MTA.
It was my understanding that for the LIRR, if you want to be the train engineer, you have to start out as a conductor or in some sort of lower position. Then you can apply for the driver's ed program for the train, which sounds fairly intense and selective. Then another probationary period and so forth.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times
Because its all who you know - same thing like getting a county or state job - you can't get off the list - if there even is a list - without the ok from the godfather - whoever that may be. The whole MTA system is that way.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Simple. The people with the inside scoop get in 1st. Always been that way.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

157 posts, read 167,123 times
Assistant Conductor trainee has posted. The closing date is listed as until filled due to the record number of positions needed over the next year. If you have an interest in the job this is the time to get on as they have been having trouble meeting the demand with qualified applicants (also a number fail to qualify as full conductors a few years after being hired)

Read the posting and make sure to list the desired skills in your resume as that is what gets your resume pulled for the test. I do not know what is on the test, I think it is a memory cognitive type screening.

Good luck to all those that apply!

Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I've been applying for Conductor and Engineer for years, but never hear back. I've had my resume done professionally also.
Chance for a person with a high school diploma to make $100K+ and have a pension without having to be a cop or firefighter. Not many other jobs like that left around, and where there are, thousands come out for a handful of spots.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ see it's not just millenials who are lazy and unmotivated if this gravy train has been around for so long.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I've been applying for Conductor and Engineer for years, but never hear back. I've had my resume done professionally also.
Hi, AT!

Just because your resume was professionally "done" does not necessarily make a highly qualified candidate. What experience, abilities, skills, education (degrees or special technical knowledge) do you believe will make the LI benefit? Have any railroading experience? Did you look over your resume for spelling/grammatical errors?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:03 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Yeah you should always embellish and over exaggerate on a resume.
Lie as best as you can without getting caught.
That's how you get hired and that's how you get ahead in the world.
That, and uh, "favors".
Too much competition these days.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah you should always embellish and over exaggerate on a resume.
Lie as best as you can without getting caught.
That's how you get hired and that's how you get ahead in the world.
That, and uh, "favors".
Too much competition these days.
Karl is implying there's a casting caboose.

What else have you lied about and embellished?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: