Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM

39 posts, read 56,973 times

Advertisements

Quick question regarding shed permits in the Town of Hempstead....

As per: https://toh.li/permits-and-applications/shed-permit

A shed shall not exceed one hundred forty- four (144) square feet of floor area, nine (9) feet in height maximum, and twelve (12) feet horizontally maximum, unless authorized as a special exception by the Board of Appeals.

I would have gone 10'x14', but wall lengths cannot exceed 12'. The 12x12' has a max height of 9'9", so that is too tall. Which brings me to the 10'x12'. The height is 9'1", 1" above the stated guidelines. I would rather not go even smaller (8'x12'), which has a height of 8'6", but am reluctant to roll the dice on 1 inch.

Has anyone had experience with filing shed permits in the ToH. Do they measure the height to the (literal) inch?

Any advice from past experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 PM

300 posts, read 546,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadale77 View Post
Quick question regarding shed permits in the Town of Hempstead....

As per: https://toh.li/permits-and-applications/shed-permit

A shed shall not exceed one hundred forty- four (144) square feet of floor area, nine (9) feet in height maximum, and twelve (12) feet horizontally maximum, unless authorized as a special exception by the Board of Appeals.

I would have gone 10'x14', but wall lengths cannot exceed 12'. The 12x12' has a max height of 9'9", so that is too tall. Which brings me to the 10'x12'. The height is 9'1", 1" above the stated guidelines. I would rather not go even smaller (8'x12'), which has a height of 8'6", but am reluctant to roll the dice on 1 inch.

Has anyone had experience with filing shed permits in the ToH. Do they measure the height to the (literal) inch?

Any advice from past experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
I've legalized plenty oh T.O.H sheds. If you are filing make sure the plans do not exceed their requirements.

As for the actual physical shed, it' okay if you are 2" off. Make sure you are min. 2' setback though. They are a stickler for setback.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
I've legalized plenty oh T.O.H sheds. If you are filing make sure the plans do not exceed their requirements.

As for the actual physical shed, it' okay if you are 2" off. Make sure you are min. 2' setback though. They are a stickler for setback.
Thank you. Regarding the plans that are needed for a permit, would these plans need to be typical architectural plans provided by an architect? If so, I am already working with an architect on plans for interior work being done on the house. I will touch base with him regarding also drawing up plans on the shed, which hopefully isn't too much extra $$. If so, I would just need the plans to show 9', rather than the 9'1", correct?

Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadale77 View Post
Thank you. Regarding the plans that are needed for a permit, would these plans need to be typical architectural plans provided by an architect? If so, I am already working with an architect on plans for interior work being done on the house. I will touch base with him regarding also drawing up plans on the shed, which hopefully isn't too much extra $$. If so, I would just need the plans to show 9', rather than the 9'1", correct?

Thanks again.
Yes, you got it. The architect will probably charge you anywhere from $700-$1,000. If you have a prefabricated shed spec sheet he may decrease the cost because that saves him some time. I can't totally speak for his pricing but he should be somewhere around there. Also, if you are already spending a good chunk of money on the interior project he may cut you a deal.. Depends on the architect.

Typically if I have to come out just for a shed it's $1,000.. If the client is doing more work, I knock a few bucks off..

Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Yes, you got it. The architect will probably charge you anywhere from $700-$1,000. If you have a prefabricated shed spec sheet he may decrease the cost because that saves him some time. I can't totally speak for his pricing but he should be somewhere around there. Also, if you are already spending a good chunk of money on the interior project he may cut you a deal.. Depends on the architect.

Typically if I have to come out just for a shed it's $1,000.. If the client is doing more work, I knock a few bucks off..
Great, thanks again.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM

19,576 posts, read 20,401,433 times
Jesus that's a lot of money and nonsense just to put up a stupid shed.
It's not like you're doing a detached garage or something.
Just put the damn thing up, within the setbacks, and be done with it.
If you ever sell, worry about it then.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Jesus that's a lot of money and nonsense just to put up a stupid shed.
It's not like you're doing a detached garage or something.
Just put the damn thing up, within the setbacks, and be done with it.
If you ever sell, worry about it then.
Karl you are correct and wrong at the same time.

I would probably do as you say and just put the shed up if I was the homeowner and make sure it is the correct size and has correct set backs and not file for it.

The issue is that the homeowner is about to undergo permit work so if he installs the shed before the job is complete that can create some issues.

If it is on his survey they will ask him to legalize it or demolish it because surveys are submitted to the town. If it is not on his survey his architect has to sign an affidavit saying that the survey is correct which he would not be able to do. Also if it gets through the plan examiner and building department, the town inspector can still bust his chops when he is on site for inspection.

Basically if the homeowner wants to not deal with any of this he needs to install the shed after the permitted work. But if he ever does permit work in the future he will be forced to demolish or legalize it then.

Since he is already working with architect, I would just legalize it. If he wasn't and he wasn't planning on doing any permitted work anytime soon, I would just put the shed in as you suggest.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM

I had a large shed on my last house and it raised a few eyebrows, hell the TOH inspector was there multiple times for other stuff that needed to be addressed and nobody said boo about the shed. There were no permits and it was outside of the setback by I believe 1.5 feet. I was told that it could be an issue but nothing ever happened.
Did I just get lucky?

Old 01-31-2017, 03:47 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I had a large shed on my last house and it raised a few eyebrows, hell the TOH inspector was there multiple times for other stuff that needed to be addressed and nobody said boo about the shed. There were no permits and it was outside of the setback by I believe 1.5 feet. I was told that it could be an issue but nothing ever happened.
Did I just get lucky?
I was not in TOH but TONH, and depending upon how money hungry they are the answer to your question would vary. TNH, for sure you were lucky. Old story already repeated too many times. Bought in 1997 with central air in home. In '98 added a breakfast nook and upgraded kitchen......all via permit and no problems. In 2010, the neighbor to my left wanted to upgrade her fence to match her neighbor on the left. Her neighbor had PVC privacy and she wanted to match it. I decided to do the same across the back, the right side has a natural hedge that both my neighbor to the right and I agreed we liked. I submitted the plans and was turned down for lack of permitted central air. It cost me over $1000 between permit fines and electrical inspectors and electricians to update the c/a, and it has been there since well before we bought. It never came up on our title search and there was never an issue, until we put up the fence.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM

I've had crap like that happen to me.
Upon selling one of my homes, an open permit from the 1930's showed up for work that was never done. I guess they were going to do something and aborted for whatever reason. Anyway, I had to straighten that **** out.
Meanwhile, I think I was like the 3rd owner since the 30's, and why didn't show up prior or when I bought the house. Buying and selling houses really sucks sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island