Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times

Advertisements

I moved away from LI 11 years ago to Henderson Nevada. Just wondering where are most of the Long Islanders relocating to these days?

I know many Long Islanders who now call Henderson NV home, but what City & state in the Northeast would you go to or are you headng to?

We would love to move back, but the Island is a bit overpriced for us, we are hoping to find a nice place somewhere back east where one could raise a family in a safe , clean city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 AM

19 posts, read 56,227 times
Hi PositiveOne,

I am leaving Long Island for Bennington, VT. If you don't mind the cold it's a good choice for clean safe living with low taxes and beautiful quaint homes with mountain views.

Just wanted to respond.

VB

Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Lately it's been NC. Weather, lower taxes, COL. Used to be east coast of FL.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Here are the top 3 that I hear...

1) Florida (retirees of course)
2) North Carolina
3) Pennsylvania

Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 AM

244 posts, read 669,097 times
Hmmmm...PA huh? I guess because it's close and the real estate is cheaper but what else is there? How's the job market? Is there a particular area of PA that LI'ers are moving too?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Hmmmm...PA huh? I guess because it's close and the real estate is cheaper but what else is there? How's the job market? Is there a particular area of PA that LI'ers are moving too?
Well the people I know that moved were in a specialized field. One was in the medical field, which we know has jobs available everywhere & the other was an accountant. They both are happy with the move and like the area. It was the same old story from LI...Long commutes, high taxes, & outrageous home prices etc. They could have afford it but they didnt think it was worth it, so they left. They moved to the Philadelphia burbs.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,215 times
We moved to NC in 2002. We were looking for ways to get off LI for a few years, but were scared to leave family, friends, and the unknown. Hubby's company made us a offer we couldn't refuse. We could move anywhere in the country close to a airport. We did TONS on research on areas. Schools were a priority, house prices, taxes, being not to far from family(driveable), and other jobs in hubby's field (never know when you may get laid off). After 9/11 it really put things into perspective for us. We wanted different things out of life than LI could provide. I also no longer felt safe on LI, only one way out in a disaster. I miss things about LI, but I love my new area and what it provides for my family. I would be very unhappy if we had to move back to LI.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
We moved to Vermont, near Lebanon, NH. (Hi there, VermontBound!).
It's not a place for most Long Islanders, though. Very little money up here (except for rich tourists). The jobs are low, low paying. The cost of living equals Long Island.

The weather is brutal, too. (We had the worst winter in 10 years).

But, it's scenic and if you like the simple life (I mean really simple, again most Long Islanders would run screaming from boredom) then it's a good place.

Will will stay here long term? I don't know...but going back to Long Island...not an option.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
I guess some move to the Philly burbs, but most seem to move to the Poconos. Cheap houses, that's about it. Many take a 2.5 hour bus ride into Manhattan.

The area is changing for the worst, though. Used to be ok, now it's becoming like a ghetto in a lot of places. My wife's aunt and uncle moved there from LI years ago and are looking to move somewhere else now. Not too good in a lot of ways, unfortunately.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Arizona or New Mexico. Both of these seem to be extremely popular wih those who love the sun (but not the Floridian humidity). There are some places like Prescott AZ that have higher elevations & 4 seasons even.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island